I hate Laura Dern
Jim Farrell

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Apr 14, 2007
Have you ever had both hands full carrying a heavy object through a door and have someone selfishly let the door slam in your face? That kind of feeling is why I hate Laura Dern. On a film set, there are grips, electrics, set dressers, etc. making the whole scene happen and there are actors in various stages of self absorbsion. Many, like Keanu Reeves, Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton are aware that others are working and either move out of the way or even offer to help lifting a dolly up the stairs. Those are the best actors with whom to work. Laura Dern is sadly just the opposite. I had liked her on the screen in the past. I wanted to like her in person.

She was visiting the set of A Simple Plan eating a cup of soup from our craft service standing in front of the entrAnce to the set --- blocking the narrow path between the massed empty directors' chairs and the other set wall. I was answering the call for two pieces of "dance floor to set now" which, on this file, meant I was carrying four 4' X 8' sheets: two 3/4" birch plywood and two 1/4" plastic to the second floor set. I did my usual fire call: "Heavy stuff! Coming through! On set now!" which usually clears a path through the most preoccupied or otherwise busy people, and lets them know not to back into the hard corners I am carrying. Kind of what one would do working in a busy kitchen: "Hot stuff! Behind you!" She just stood there ignoring the work around her, eating her soup, talking with Bridget Fonda. Putting the plywood down was not an option (time, heavy, no where to lean it). Now, completely stopped, I have no hands to answer the radio where the Key is asking, "where is my dance floor, the whole movie is waiting." My attempts to get clearance goes from the general to the specific, "excuse me, coming through, gotta get this upstairs." And, yes, at this point, I could totally wait out Laura Dern. How long will she stand there eating her soup while this guy carrying plywood stands in front of her asking her to move? Finally, one of the overworked set guys who heard my ignored calls came from somewhere and had to move the directors' chairs to clear a path for me. Laura Dern remained forever oblivous to all the peons scambling around her. It is not like she has never been on a film set before. Is she always so above it all? Bridget Fonda later apologised, so Bridget is OK in my mind.
Laura_ is_ very_ kind

Santa Monica, CA

#2 Oct 25, 2011
She was probably just preoccupied and didn't hear you. I am just an ordinary middle class person who happens to be in her neighborhood and I have run into her on several ocassions. She is quite kind, modest, and not at all "above it all" as you wrote. Actors are just people like us... maybe she wasn't paying attention which happens to all of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laura Dern Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jurassic Park IV: something has survived (and i... (Oct '12) Oct '12 JMD577 1
Laura Dern nude ! (Apr '11) Apr '11 Bettie 1
News Rocker Ben Harper Files for Divorce from Laura ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 short trus micro bus 1
News Douglas skips 'Wall Street' promo tour (Oct '10) Oct '10 Patriot 1
News Kevin Spacey Demands 'Recount' - Denis Leary, L... (Oct '07) Apr '08 archie 2
News Recounting Florida politics 2000 Election mess ... (Sep '07) Sep '07 Jim Callahan 5
News Lynch quirks, riveting Dern ignite 'Empire' (Mar '07) Mar '07 Mark Ultra 1
More from around the web