Joe Muench: Obama didn't take cue fro...

Joe Muench: Obama didn't take cue from spunky Mayor Cook

There are 16 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 4, 2010, titled Joe Muench: Obama didn't take cue from spunky Mayor Cook. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Mayor John Cook has spunk. When welcoming President Obama to El Paso on Tuesday, did our burghmaster hand our nation's leader a key to the city? Well, yes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Pete

El Paso, TX

#1 Sep 5, 2010
The Mayor should have asked Obama for more help to make sure El Pasoans are safer. Why is the Mayor not asking for additional troops on the border. The Mayor should have asked for additional funds for police officers. I say double the police force we have now. We need someone who is more vocal about this problem. There will be no future for el Paso if the violence continues in Juarez,
ksuave

Huntsville, AL

#2 Sep 5, 2010
Re Susan Magoffin, the facade should be dropped and the statue should be renamed Janice Windle.

Why didn't somebody try to slip Obama $1000 so that he would send some contracts El Paso's way?
Just Me

United States

#3 Sep 5, 2010
Cook is a self serving individual. I can't believe he slipped President Obama a jar a BBQ sauce! Instead of promoting himself he should have used this time for business and discuss border issues.
james russell

El Paso, TX

#5 Sep 5, 2010
i didn't expect anything from Obama's visit other than him saying thank you to the troops. Mayor Cook was crass and an embarassment by showing up and handing him a bottle of BBQ sauce. If you believe the President would actually use the stuff you have to be dreaming. It was probably given to someone who actually uses BBQ sauce.
Just Me

United States

#6 Sep 5, 2010
Just Me wrote:
Cook is a self serving individual. I can't believe he slipped President Obama a jar a BBQ sauce! Instead of promoting himself he should have used this time for business and discuss border issues.
I meant instead of promoting El Paso he promotes himself! Oops!
Rey

AOL

#7 Sep 5, 2010
Joe thinks it was a wise and bravery for the mayor to give the President the bbq sauce.

It was an embarrassement, crass. He came off as a 1800's snake oil salesman minus the top hat.
Get Real

El Paso, TX

#8 Sep 5, 2010
Just Me wrote:
Since all profits from the sale of Senor Juan's goes to feed the hungry here in El Paso it is a worthy gift as well as a venture to be emulated. I sent bottles to frieds all over the country with instructions to share it and the idea with their city leaders. Who knows perhaps those of us able to have a cookout might actually ensure that the day will come that no American Citizen has to go hungry.

Why don't you whiny backstabbers try a bottle yourself and READ THE LABEL!!!
Rey

AOL

#9 Sep 5, 2010
I wasnt going to say it, but here it goes.

It is nonprofit, but IF the venture kicks off, there will be a CEO position and what would the salary and benefits be for THAT nonprofit? Perhaps there will be a committment to have cook NOT accept a salary or benefits or expenses if he was to be the CEO.
Bikerday

El Paso, TX

#10 Sep 5, 2010
Just Me wrote:
We are lucky and very fortunate that he did not welcome him with his guitar and one of his songs. He really made us look good ha!
Bikerday

El Paso, TX

#11 Sep 5, 2010
james russell wrote:
i didn't expect anything from Obama's visit other than him saying thank you to the troops. Mayor Cook was crass and an embarassment by showing up and handing him a bottle of BBQ sauce. If you believe the President would actually use the stuff you have to be dreaming. It was probably given to someone who actually uses BBQ sauce.
Scary to know this is the man who leads El Paso as its mayor, pat yourself on the back if you voted for him.
Bikerday

El Paso, TX

#12 Sep 5, 2010
Rey wrote:
Joe thinks it was a wise and bravery for the mayor to give the President the bbq sauce.
It was an embarrassement, crass. He came off as a 1800's snake oil salesman minus the top hat.
Agreed nothing wise or brave, just the opposite!!
Bikerday

El Paso, TX

#13 Sep 5, 2010
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Since all profits from the sale of Senor Juan's goes to feed the hungry here in El Paso it is a worthy gift as well as a venture to be emulated. I sent bottles to frieds all over the country with instructions to share it and the idea with their city leaders. Who knows perhaps those of us able to have a cookout might actually ensure that the day will come that no American Citizen has to go hungry.
Why don't you whiny backstabbers try a bottle yourself and READ THE LABEL!!!
Yes we all know whee the profits go, but what world have you been living in, hunger still exist no matter what government programs exist, charity concerts and aid is given. When we reach the "ideal" is when hunger will be wiped out. Until then, unemployment, parents not paying child support, under paid workers, etc., will continue way past your and my life time.
Bikerday

El Paso, TX

#14 Sep 5, 2010
Rey wrote:
I wasnt going to say it, but here it goes.
It is nonprofit, but IF the venture kicks off, there will be a CEO position and what would the salary and benefits be for THAT nonprofit? Perhaps there will be a committment to have cook NOT accept a salary or benefits or expenses if he was to be the CEO.
Now we are using common sense!!!
David

El Paso, TX

#15 Sep 5, 2010
Why talk about the he could haves? Obviously getting handed a crappy bottle of barbecue sauce(that was probably discarded or stored away) took no where as near as any of the time it would have taken to do any of the "he could have or would haves" mentioned in this story/article. None of those things or places are world famous, not to discredit them or El Paso but as most famous or big political people always have done.. El Paso is just a quick pit stop a small stepping stone so this story is worthless and pointless. If anything the president was being polite when accepting that bottle, get over it move on.
Get Real

El Paso, TX

#16 Sep 6, 2010
Bikerday wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we all know whee the profits go, but what world have you been living in, hunger still exist no matter what government programs exist, charity concerts and aid is given. When we reach the "ideal" is when hunger will be wiped out. Until then, unemployment, parents not paying child support, under paid workers, etc., will continue way past your and my life time.
We also know that these days with the Bush Admin having destroyed our economy that most people have cut back on charitable donations to help the needy. This is a way to help fill that void.
and yes of course there will always be homeless by choice and hungry because they spent their money on booze but the vast majority of homeless right now are women and children and the mentally ill..........County commissioners have "wisely" decided that funding for the mentally ill and handicapped should be deleted from the budget.

Perhaps you with your generousity of spirit and love in your heart would be willing to take in a few of the mentally ill to care for in your home.
Bikerday

El Paso, TX

#17 Sep 6, 2010
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
We also know that these days with the Bush Admin having destroyed our economy that most people have cut back on charitable donations to help the needy. This is a way to help fill that void.
and yes of course there will always be homeless by choice and hungry because they spent their money on booze but the vast majority of homeless right now are women and children and the mentally ill..........County commissioners have "wisely" decided that funding for the mentally ill and handicapped should be deleted from the budget.
Perhaps you with your generousity of spirit and love in your heart would be willing to take in a few of the mentally ill to care for in your home.
Beginning with you!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laura Bush Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelle Obama's memoir will come out in November Feb '18 Retribution 53
News Barbara Pierce Bush Will Be the Keynote Speaker... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Jim 1
News George W. Bush did not vote for Hillary Clinton (Nov '16) Nov '16 Mohammad Ahsanul ... 1
News George W. Bush did not vote for Clinton, despit... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Stupid Enough 3
News Country icon joins George, Laura Bush for birth... (Oct '16) Oct '16 betty johnson 1
News Fulton native sings for the Bush family comment (Aug '16) Aug '16 Meow Jeb 1
News Nancy With the Laughing Face (Mar '16) Mar '16 Shapeshifter 1