Laura Bush, Rob Lowe, Kim Kardashian added to Women's Conference ro...

Aug 5, 2010 Read more: Long Beach Press-Telegram 17
Former First Lady Laura Bush, actor Rob Lowe and reality show star Kim Kardashian are among the latest names coming to Long Beach for the annual Women's Conference Oct. Read more
Former LB guy

Lake Elsinore, CA

#1 Aug 5, 2010
What could Kim Kardashian possibly say that would be of substance and value to women in attendance?
c17mega

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#2 Aug 5, 2010
nobody would show up if she wasn't going to be there. NOBODY likes the others for any reason.
Long Beach Native

United States

#3 Aug 5, 2010
c17mega wrote:
nobody would show up if she wasn't going to be there. NOBODY likes the others for any reason.
And I was worried you were going to show up...I'm so relieved.
MaB

Montréal, Canada

#4 Aug 5, 2010
I attended in 2002 as a high school senior, before Schwarzenegger took office. It was an amazing event, full of inspiring, professional women.

As much as I used to respect Maria Shriver, she's gone as Hollywood as her husband!! This year's event is full of actors, pseduo-celebrities (that's you, Kim Kardashian), and celebrity chefs. It's insulting to women. Our lives are about more than pop-culture and cooking, more than reality shows and tv movies! To be fair, they have included some real role models, Supreme Court Justices Sandra Day O'Connor (retired) and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Yahoo! CEO Carol Bartz, former Xerox Chairwoman and CEO and Save the Children board Chairwoman Anne Mulcahy, Billie Jean King, journalists Laura Ling and Lisa Ling and Disney/ABC Television Group President Anne Sweeney. But for the most part, the speakers are people I can watch on tv or read about in a trashy magazine. Some of them have done charity and volunteer work and "give back to the community", but is that really worth more of my time and money? Our time and money are what made them who they are in the first place, if the "average" person wasn't interested, they wouldn't have careers. What do they have to say that hasn't been said before in another arena? The Women's Conference isn't a meet-and-greet or a tv talk show, the weekend is not about live celebrity interviews, but about celebrating women's achievements, both in business and society. I am truly disappointed by this year's roster.

Can we bring back the strong, intelligent women who have something of value to say?
LBJJ

Bremerton, WA

#6 Aug 5, 2010
Marge Simpson possesses far more "reality" than Kim Kardashian...
cali

Sun Valley, CA

#7 Aug 5, 2010
Rob Lowe and Kim Kardashian at a Women's conference I don't feel either of these celebs are qualified to be at the conference. Is that the best they could do in getting people out to celebrate women and their achievements, and goals for the future.
LB res

Long Beach, CA

#9 Aug 5, 2010
Will Rob be speaking about the video which recorded him schtupping that 16 year old? Oh, I thought not. Never mind. That's ancient history. Go Women's Conference!!!!!
Steve

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Aug 5, 2010
Kim who?
aimforthehead

Downey, CA

#11 Aug 5, 2010
Year after year, stupid women flock to this event to glory in their women-hood.

I try to bang a few every year. You can count on a few drunk ones at Kings...

“I'll b nicer if u'll b smarter”

Since: Aug 10

LBC

#12 Aug 6, 2010
Kim Kardashian - Sex tape
Rob Lowe - Sex tape
Laura Bush - Brain dead

I take it Paris Hilton can't work it into her schedule.
Explain

Los Alamitos, CA

#13 Aug 6, 2010
Spike LB wrote:
Kim Kardashian - Sex tape
Rob Lowe - Sex tape
Laura Bush - Brain dead
I take it Paris Hilton can't work it into her schedule.
So how is a snarky gay young man (without his shirt on) qualified to credibly opine on speakers at a Women's Conference?
Libs and more libs

Long Beach, CA

#14 Aug 6, 2010
Not one politically conservative speaker in the group. This dog and pony show just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. They call themselves progressive and open minded, unless you happened to be conservative or an evangelical Christian of course.
The Black Ninja

Folsom, CA

#15 Aug 6, 2010
ICU2 wrote:
Kim Kardashian ????? LMFAO !!
Would rather have "Otomom or Lady Gaga.........
Why not Michele Bombshell McGee and all the other hoochies who were with Jesse James and Tiger. Get 'em all up on the stage.

LBC

#16 Aug 6, 2010
Explain wrote:
<quoted text>
So how is a snarky gay young man (without his shirt on) qualified to credibly opine on speakers at a Women's Conference?
Because I attend every year, strategically placing cans of tuna around the convention center. It keeps the lesbians circulating, otherwise they tend to congregate in one location! I love my lesbians sisters!

LBC

#17 Aug 6, 2010
The Black Ninja wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not Michele Bombshell McGee and all the other hoochies who were with Jesse James and Tiger. Get 'em all up on the stage.
Brilliant!!! And Oksana Grigorieva as well. She could do a PowerPoint presentation and play all her audio tapes and discuss how she implemented her 2-year business as Mel Gibson's hooch and baby mama resulting in and offer of 10 million dollars.

How is she any less of a role model then Kim Kardashian and Laura Bush????
Glickenspeiler

Houston, TX

#18 Feb 22, 2015
Libs and more libs wrote:
Not one politically conservative speaker in the group. This dog and pony show just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. They call themselves progressive and open minded, unless you happened to be conservative or an evangelical Christian of course.
Midori... brilliant violinist or predatory hor? Likes Shostakovich, shoved deep. Old. Icky.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#19 Feb 22, 2015
Glickenspeiler wrote:
<quoted text>Midori... brilliant violinist or predatory hor? Likes Shostakovich, shoved deep. Old. Icky.
Glickenspeiler.

Welcome to "Liberal" Long Beach. You must be a product of our post 60s 70s era Government schools. You won't have any trouble at all fitting right in.

Ronald

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laura Bush Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bloody Sunday 50th anniversary: Weeklong march ... Mar '15 Kahoki 8
News On China trip, as in other matters, Michelle Ob... (Mar '14) Mar '15 McGold 8
News White House Declines Comment on Michelle Obama'... Jan '15 fedupwiththemess 1
News Smithsonian aims to raise $1.5B to improve museums Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 2
News When first lady looks fashionable, who pays? (Jun '14) Jun '14 fedupwiththemess 2
News First Ladies' Frugal Fashion Do's And Don'ts (Jun '14) Jun '14 fedupwiththemess 1
News Miss Beazley, Former White House Dog, Passes Away (May '14) May '14 Beady bums dogs 5
More from around the web