Granite quote in park sparks Kurt Cobain controversy

The late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain is igniting a new controversy in his hometown of Aberdeen, Wash. Full Story
El Rushbo Fan

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 4, 2009
These kids today have no sense of morality. Any song that has the F word in it is a piece of trash. Whatever happened to the good old days when singers had talent, like Sinatra. Now there was a stand up straight as an arrow guy. He believed in the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, he would never associate with anyone who broke the law, he was just a perfect human being. Not like the loser singers of today, like elite liberal Springsteen who can't even support his own president or the NYPD!
local

Ocean Shores, WA

#2 Aug 5, 2009
Do you mean the Sinatra who was know for having MOB connections?
Or Rush who is a drug addict?
Oh yea,......
El Rushbo Fan wrote:
These kids today have no sense of morality. Any song that has the F word in it is a piece of trash. Whatever happened to the good old days when singers had talent, like Sinatra. Now there was a stand up straight as an arrow guy. He believed in the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, he would never associate with anyone who broke the law, he was just a perfect human being. Not like the loser singers of today, like elite liberal Springsteen who can't even support his own president or the NYPD!
El Rushbo Fan

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 6, 2009
El Rushbo Fan wrote:
Sorry dude I thought you'd get the joke. I wonder who agreed with me!? For the record, Rush is a sorry excuse for a human being.
100 Mortgage Stu

Sheffield, UK

#4 Aug 7, 2009
Most of Nirvana fans are well aware of respect towards other people and themselves. They cannot be held responsible for the actions of an individual(s) that decides to act in a bad way. If this is the case then surely political parties are responsible for the actions of all law breakers who happen to vote towards their parties? We all have our own minds and should take responsibility, blaming something else is crazy.
Ingenue Music

Glendale, CA

#6 Aug 15, 2009
I knew it was a joke El. I enjoyed it.
local

Ocean Shores, WA

#7 Aug 19, 2009
El Rushbo Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry dude I thought you'd get the joke. I wonder who agreed with me!? For the record, Rush is a sorry excuse for a human being.
Your "JOKE"?

Cobain was nothing but a strung out drug addict.
local

Ocean Shores, WA

#8 Aug 22, 2009
Ingenue Music wrote:
I knew it was a joke El. I enjoyed it.
And you are probably a moron.
TEC

Chehalis, WA

#9 Aug 25, 2009
People are missing the point here. I live a stones throw away from the monument and the park. I have no problem with either one existing, but the location is bogus. Kurt's claim of living underneath the Young St Bridge was bs and even Krist Novaselic said it was part of his own "revisionism".

The fact is Kurt did live underneath the 6th Street bridge that spans Canyon Court, and the police even found his gear there back in the 80's. Of course being 6th Street is a little more well to do that we are here in the East and North End - they don't want this attraction in their back yard.

Of course having people park in my drive way, stomp through my garden, etc to see a bunch of graffiti under a bridge might have its perks. I'm thinking of charging these morons for parking. Maybe I'll even sell refreshments - Kurt Dogs!

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#10 Sep 25, 2009
TEC wrote:
People are missing the point here. I live a stones throw away from the monument and the park. I have no problem with either one existing, but the location is bogus. Kurt's claim of living underneath the Young St Bridge was bs and even Krist Novaselic said it was part of his own "revisionism".
The fact is Kurt did live underneath the 6th Street bridge that spans Canyon Court, and the police even found his gear there back in the 80's. Of course being 6th Street is a little more well to do that we are here in the East and North End - they don't want this attraction in their back yard.
Of course having people park in my drive way, stomp through my garden, etc to see a bunch of graffiti under a bridge might have its perks. I'm thinking of charging these morons for parking. Maybe I'll even sell refreshments - Kurt Dogs!
Don't you think the town still does NOT value the kids that are outside the 'norm'? You know, music/artsy/skateboard crowd?

This area is still ashamed of him. No wonder he was so happy to get out of here. Just sayin'

Some people never learn. Kurt had a lot of gifts, bless his soul.
local

Ocean Shores, WA

#11 Sep 25, 2009
Debra27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you think the town still does NOT value the kids that are outside the 'norm'? You know, music/artsy/skateboard crowd?
This area is still ashamed of him. No wonder he was so happy to get out of here. Just sayin'
Your opinion, and a stupid one.

“you're not the boss of me!”

Since: Jan 08

the road less traveled.....

#12 Oct 11, 2009
local wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion, and a stupid one.
douche bag, you must have been born and raised here. it shows
TEC

Chehalis, WA

#13 Oct 25, 2009
Debra27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry it took so long to reply Debra

I don't think Aberdeen is the North Korea that you envision it to be. Even hardcore rednecks here love Nirvana, and you'll find this town has no problems letting kids wave the freak flags. I think the problem is that some people here have a hard time separating the very real problems here - especially the drug problems and Kurt's death. His death was a catchall for all that ills us sadly.

It's also a very small handful of people who bitch and complain about Kurt here. Most people were as saddened as you were with Kurt's death. For us he represented someone who escaped and sadly wasn't emotionally equipped to handle the responsibilites that were thrust upon him by both the fans and the music industry.
Liz420

Canada

#14 Oct 26, 2009
K so really, Kurts drug use has nothing to do with this. Obviously some stupid ass kids don't really know a shit tonne about Kurt and yeah, he never did live under a bridge. That was pretty much an exxageration. He may have slept under a bridge a time or two, but he didn't make it a habit. And yeah, for a small town like Aberdeen, I'm sure they take it for granted and don't really realize what they have is special. You have to take into consideration the age of the people in the area and how they are rural, and yeah, the area u live in does usually make a difference on the music u listen to. And sadly, yeah, the older people that really arn't into grunge, or rock of any sort are going to dis like the music, just something else Kurt had to overcome.
lovekurt

Gloucester, UK

#16 Oct 29, 2009
long live kurt!
just an allusion

United States

#17 Nov 3, 2009
Debra27 wrote:
Kurt had a lot of gifts, bless his soul.
Yeah, too bad he was more so interested in sharing them with the guys in his band than he was with the people who enjoyed his music.
local

Ocean Shores, WA

#19 Nov 5, 2009
lovekurt wrote:
long live kurt!
Ahhhhh.......I have news for you........HE'S DEAD!
Danielle

United States

#20 Nov 14, 2009
This is so rediculous...At 17 and wanting to experience the "Grunge" era, I drove from Alaska to Aberdeen just to see that bridge. I wanted to experience Kurt for what he was, not what he should be portayed as. The "F" word???? What the fuck! That was NOT Kurt!!! If it offends...DONT GO TO HIS MEMORIAL YOU MORON!!!! Come on, common sense? A "Grunge/Punk" Rocker is going to cuss! Unfortunately, all this proves is what Kurt set out to prove, That there are a lot of old dinosaurs in our society that need to be weeded out. Leave Kurt as he was, as he would want us to remember him by. Even the mayors daughter agrees with me. Leave Kurt verbatum and unique so that his "TRUE" fans, and I say true because if you wanted this changed you are NOT a fan, can experience him the way he was. Rest in Peace Kurt, I miss you.
kurtfan

Ocean Shores, WA

#21 Nov 14, 2009
WE LOVE YOU KURT!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Cobain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was Kurt Cobain Gay? (Oct '13) Feb 24 THE BIG SHERIFF 66
City honors Kurt Cobain with bizarre crying statue (Feb '14) Feb 13 lifeborder 155
Psychic Says Kurt Cobain Was A 16th Century Mur... (May '06) Feb 4 mamaburrito 60
Locals Only Artist of the Month: Tangerine Jan '15 Nelsinho 3
Courtney Love Reminisces About Kurt Cobain on A... (May '14) Aug '14 Juliano Valentin 2
City honors Kurt Cobain with bizarre crying statue (Feb '14) Mar '14 Kurt The Doper Kid 5
Nirvana Fans Furious About Chili Peppers Video (May '06) Feb '14 SuicideBLONDE 695
More from around the web