New music venue seeks to bring high-l...

New music venue seeks to bring high-level talent to Eurek

There are 19 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Mar 11, 2009, titled New music venue seeks to bring high-level talent to Eurek. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

"My vision is for this place to become a live music venue to promote and emphasize the joy of concerts," Miracle said while sitting at the establishment's new bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

Anonymous

Arcata, CA

#1 Mar 12, 2009
"County music"? I'm afraid to ask what that might be.
Just what we need

Ferndale, CA

#2 Mar 12, 2009
More empty venues to see unattended shows in. This one in a bad part of Eureka. Granite counters? He must have got bailout money.
gump

Sunnyvale, CA

#3 Mar 12, 2009
Ummmm? Where are the 450 people and employee's going to park? Are the folk at Gosselin's going to have to pick up broken bottles in their lot every morning?
SuzieCue

United States

#4 Mar 12, 2009
Another venue that will be offering music and booze to the "hip hop" fans but not much else, in a badly lit, impossible to park in area, surrounded by a neighborhood known for its crime rate.... Just what Eureka needs.
I'll bet 10 bucks that the place is not open a week before there's a parking lot assault or a rash of car burgleries.
Howdy

Newark, CA

#5 Mar 12, 2009
So my take on this club is that Courtney Roberts the old owner of club west was bank rolled and couldn’t keep a club going in Eureka! That club sold too Jeff Brandon as Indigo and still couldn’t make it. I applaud this guy’s effort but I foresee that this club is going to be just another failure in Eureka. Here are the reasons:

1. Eureka has a specific group of people who come to see these shows that have been known for many problems at clubs. Wait till the Samoans pitch a tent... I don’t care who the owner has at the door I am sure they have thumped on that guy before!

2. This area can only sustain so many acts as it comes down to a monetary issue. Bring all the big acts you want people can only afford to go out so many times a month PERIOD! eureka has not the economic meat to support a multi night venue! Proven time and time again!

3. The cost of doing business, lets say this place does 8 shows a month minimum and sells $4000 dollars at the bar that’s a mere $32000 dollars. Then lets say the ticket sales go mainly to the bands booking fees and riders etc that money will go fast. Insurance alone for that size a venue will be at least $3000 per month not counting the high rate on workman’s comp for the employees! or the mortgage, utilities and payroll! And that my friends is the first snowflakes in the Iceberg of additional costs he will have.

4. My guess is he will hop for a while then gets stagnant, as is the usual cycle here but if he can survive the onslaught of the 1st year in business he may be able to close down the other venues in eureka!

that is my take, but welcome to the NEWB club owner in town, Hope you planned for everything as what you hadn’t will do you in!
eureka local

Eureka, CA

#6 Mar 13, 2009
Sounds like some big marijuana grower trying to throw around some money.This is not what Eureka is striving for,hiphop clubs in bad neighborhoods.This is just a disaster waiting to happen.
STFU

Crescent City, CA

#7 Mar 13, 2009
typical weenie comments from ho hum do nothing losers. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Huh

Newark, CA

#8 Mar 13, 2009
STFU wrote:
typical weenie comments from **** hum do nothing losers. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Who We?? Please... dont think we is bashin da homie, we jus frontin fo da sohum mafia! jus me fellas DIS-respectin the scene!
Huh

Newark, CA

#9 Mar 13, 2009
Oh and what would be the correct definition of "HIGH-LEVEL TALENT"? does this mean like they get higher then everyone else as I dont care what you say... you can only charge so much for a ticket and that means you can only pay for so many levels of talent! most of whom have ben here done this!
west 7th

Arcata, CA

#10 Mar 14, 2009
I completely agree this is not going to work with the current economy and location. I work in the vicinity and the problems this is going to bring to an already high crime area is frightening. Guess the only plus is we are only a few blocks from EPD.....
SuzieCue

United States

#11 Mar 15, 2009
I think that a club proprietor would do much better to book acts likely to appeal to Humboldt's grown ups... David Lindley consistantly sells out and would sell out if he were invited more than once or twice a year, Robert Hunter, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, NRPS and others in the folk rock, singer/songwriter type artists, and a decent handful of acts that peaked in the 80s would draw respectable and sustainable numbers ... The adult community tends to go to the Bay area for concerts because Humboldt just doesn't book acts that appeal to an over 40 demographic.
eureka local

Eureka, CA

#13 Mar 16, 2009
Who cares about this place anyway...in the gheeto in Eureka,Everyone should be talking about the arcata theater... that is going to be the new hip spot.Why go to eureka to party arcata has always been the hot spot and will be again.
anonymous

Eureka, CA

#14 Mar 16, 2009
Konocti rocks.
They have different deals...we like the dinner, concert, room for the night combo.
They have outdoor concerts for the summer.
And the talent is people you've actually heard of.
I don't wish ill to anyone who tries a new business venture here, but this one might only end up with more trouble than they bargained for.
anonymous

Newark, CA

#15 Mar 17, 2009
by the looks of that place its going to be another dive bar in Eureka. There is nothing the owner can do about it as he will find that he has to cater to schleps and lowlifes to make ends meet! My other concern is parking, were the hell is it going to be? and last, why the heck did he pick that place? OH's look right out of the 50's and the building is run down. Way to go as this owner is probably some drug dealing rich kid that will have daddys money backing everytime he falls!
Gdog

United States

#16 Mar 17, 2009
OOOHHHH my, the sour grapers are out in force. A bad neighborhood will stay a bad neighborhood unless & until someone starts revitalizing it. You all have (stupid) reasons why it won't work - why don't you go see a show & check it out? Go see someone you never heard of fer chrissake, you know? Try something NEW for a change.

Whaaah, the building is run down.
Whaaah, someone will break glass in Gosselin's parking lot.
Whaaah, he's using pot money.
Whaaah, he got bailout money.
Whaaah, it's in Eureka and Arcata's better.

Jeesh, give it a break.
Not A Fan

Mckinleyville, CA

#17 Mar 17, 2009
hey, there's always the Tip Top no clothes needed club for
high class entertainment.
Give the guy a chance, who knows he might operate it properly and actually have something good there.
If it doesn't work he'll be out of business soon enough.
NOFX

Eureka, CA

#18 Mar 17, 2009
Ya you always see Nightclubs at the top of the list for city revitalization projects
It will work

United States

#19 Mar 18, 2009
Is there a production company that isn't a laundry for weed profits around? Profits don't matter.
Down with Newbs

Eureka, CA

#20 Mar 22, 2009
I hope this newb club owner has his stuff together as He will need too! I think he will be the next casualty of the Eureka Music scene! I think he is a fool for even opening a club in Eureka. That was his 1st BAD business decision.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

KRS-One Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darkside Releases New EP 'Free Agent (Tru Stori... (Jul '14) Dec '14 Darkside7785 7
News Ocean's 12: How America's Hip-Hop generation ma... (Jul '12) Mar '14 Big Knob 6
KRS-One idolized (Jun '07) Mar '14 Lauren 9
News Rapper KRS-One 'starts own religion' (Sep '09) Mar '14 Lauren 5
News KRS-One: Lil Wayne Cries. The Greatest. The Gos... (Jun '10) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 3
News Hip-Hop Pioneer Krs-One Producing Rap Music for... (Jul '10) Jul '10 jonathan kohl 1
News Why Would Anyone Ever Set Out To Be A Rapper? (Jun '10) Jul '10 miss no name 2