Why Are There so Few African-Americans in Metal?

Dec 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: LA Weekly

Long Beach-based metal band Hirax has a unique sound, blending the galloping beats of the new wave of British heavy metal with the intensity of thrash.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

cuz white kids get given guitars and drums and microphones and school and blacks dont get nuthing

“There's enough for everyone”

Since: Mar 07

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

Fluke- wrote:
cuz white kids get given guitars and drums and microphones and school and blacks dont get nuthing
That's your parents fault for not trying to make your life better than theirs. As ALL parents should do.

Ooooops, I mean parent. Since the majority of you only have one.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Of course they have to find a black male singer. Alexis Brown of straight line stitch is black too and sexy. I would love to see more african americans like her...Hirax whoever they are...not so much. They just want to force black males down everyones throats no matter how 'white' the music they listen to. Look at Darius Rucker. Its getting old.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Man , all dat clunking around reminds bruvvas about slavery , dats why we cannot do metal music , da clunking sound of metal music sounds dust like the chains on slavery boats and it brings back tooo many bad memories bout our childhood when we were shipped over....aldo some money in compensation will help ease da pain .
greyor

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I have cannibal corpse friended I have a guitar but I uh... suck.. lol..
greyor

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

no man I have I am spoiled as phcuk and have all these white friends..

theres this one white guy I know who's actually in a band.. but he already got a black guy with him..

I was trying to start a band with my white cousin and my white looking black cousin..

O.o and I ask my one friend if he like metal he say no..

I have mastadon cd's and I listen to them with my mom listened to more rock than I did at first ..

and and my dad listened to nothing but rap but we always had mtv on and watched beavis and butthead and..

then also when I was in these classes the white instructors always had on rock music no wait it wasn't really rock music all the time it sometimes it was like a technoish.. thingy..

and then not only that how about the fact that..

white women ask me to rap they never ask me to do metal with um alOL..
greyor

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

well I didn't really see I mean I had I would watch metal and stuff but it took me a while before I really wanted to make any...
greyor

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

and the the other thing is i'm probably not allowed to do metal because my grandma is racist and wants to force me to do jazz music :P
greyor

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

LOL HIRAX!! LOLAAA

Hey my uncle listened to metal so much when I was younger and it made me get racially confused..

and also watch... hilander..

uh.. and he would get buff and he bought the hilander sword..

well he's black he's not really black though.. he is but he's like... only a quarter so I don't know how he identified I think he identified as black..

because he was in black areas a lot so... but he listened to soo much white stuff...

I think he didn't even like rap honestly..
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

go bunch of metal people knock on my house or hang out at bagel bin and ask every black person who walks in if they wanna do metal I will say yes..
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

i listen to metal practically all my life...
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

you can't even avoid metal...
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I just I just enjoy it I have see it's deeper for me because there is like a time that doesn't even exist in which I met someone who isn't even real who exposed me to and made me enjoy metal...
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I had a dream about people.. who don't exist..

who made me like heavy metal..

and it was like slot machines or something..

and they were playing dracula on nintendo or something..
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

yea I enjoy the lyrical content..

sometimes I can't understand what people are saying so I have to look it up then I come back and all of a sudden tI know what people are saying..
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I highly highly enjoy suicidal angels... i my opinion that guy is good.. in addition to how I like the melodies that cannibal corpse just had with his you know his brutal growls and stuff..

i'm really not able to compose all my desires about what I want to do in life and just say i'm gonna do metal the rest of my life though or rap or nothing.

I just I am too expanded I cannot specialize.. in a skill is one of my problems..
awman

Voorhees, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I play a lot of video games.. and it gets in the way of practically everything I do in life..

sometimes it helps though..--- like a world of warcraft has a lot of reading in it...

-----

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

there are lots of black men in metal bands , you just dont hear about them because the racist white media ignores them .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Killswitch Engage Discussions

Search the Killswitch Engage Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
New tune with KSE Instrumental track .. (Nov '11) Nov '11 Aio 1
Mike D exclusive interview (Aug '11) Aug '11 DON CIRCLEPIT 1
adam d custom caparison prototype guitar (Dec '10) Jul '11 Neville 4
Rose of Sharyn (Dec '10) Dec '10 Ep1TApH 1
All You Cannot Live Without 08.23.10: Slipknot,... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Posterchild 1
For You Lyrics (Aug '10) Aug '10 Moose69 1
KSE @ Download UK 2010 which vocalist is coming? (Jun '10) Jul '10 Chris R 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••