If Abe were able to celebrate 200

If Abe were able to celebrate 200

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 12, 2009, titled If Abe were able to celebrate 200. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Abraham Lincoln would have been 2000 today, if not for John Wilkes Booth and the fact that no one lives that long.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Dave

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 12, 2009
If Honest Abe were alive today, he would almost certainly be impeached by the Illinois Senate on the same standard they used against Blago.

http://www.ntui.org/itef/itef-comment-vol-xv-...

"In 1837, Lincoln and his Whig Party pushed through twelve million dollars in state subsidies for what were called “internal improvements.” The money was spent, but the projects were never finished. Even Lincoln’s law partner, William Herndon, called Lincoln’s projects “reckless and unwise.” For years the state’s taxpayers struggled to pay off this debt. As a result of Lincoln’s wastefulness, the state enacted a new Constitution in 1848 that expressly forbid expenditure of tax dollars for any private business enterprises."
MinisterR

Chicago, IL

#2 Feb 12, 2009
Dave always a pleasure.

The point I think you are making is that we the people have a serious problem. We worship, elevate people to godlike status. Abe was a politician and just a man. Despite all of the obvious good he did he was flawed which is part of being human.

You people who have elevated Obama to god like status are guaranteeing him and you significant disappointment and buyers remorse. He is just a man/human. As of yet he probabaly needs to at least get through half of this term before you begin comparing him to Abe.

I can guarantee you that Obama doesn't think he is some sort of special human. He is well aware of his in own flaws. The worshiping however may cause him to forget until the gets dumped just like so many stars do.

- Signed 15 year Navy vet, father of 2, husband, small business owner, property owner, minority, never voted straight ticket or party, born and raised in South Shore/Hyde Park.
Dave wrote:
If Honest Abe were alive today, he would almost certainly be impeached by the Illinois Senate on the same standard they used against Blago.
http://www.ntui.org/itef/itef-comment-vol-xv-...
"In 1837, Lincoln and his Whig Party pushed through twelve million dollars in state subsidies for what were called “internal improvements.” The money was spent, but the projects were never finished. Even Lincoln’s law partner, William Herndon, called Lincoln’s projects “reckless and unwise.” For years the state’s taxpayers struggled to pay off this debt. As a result of Lincoln’s wastefulness, the state enacted a new Constitution in 1848 that expressly forbid expenditure of tax dollars for any private business enterprises."
Dave

Chicago, IL

#3 Feb 12, 2009
MinisterR wrote:
Dave always a pleasure.
The point I think you are making is that we the people have a serious problem. We worship, elevate people to godlike status. Abe was a politician and just a man. Despite all of the obvious good he did he was flawed which is part of being human.
You people who have elevated Obama to god like status are guaranteeing him and you significant disappointment and buyers remorse. He is just a man/human. As of yet he probabaly needs to at least get through half of this term before you begin comparing him to Abe.
I agree that both Abe and Obama have been elevated to superhuman status. I also agree that it sets up Obama for failure. My point was more about Blago being made out to be public enemy #1 by the Illinois senate, when his impeachable "crimes" were hardly any different than Abe's: money wasted on certain programs, not working with the other legislators, and so on. It was a disgrace. Blago was twice elected by the people. The motivation to remove him has as much to do with their own personal ambitions than anything.
JBS

New York, NY

#4 Feb 12, 2009
The brevity lesson also was lost on Obama. Don't believe me? Ask him. Somewhere around 20 minutes later, you might get an answer. But there's no guarantee.
Chuckie

Wood Dale, IL

#5 Feb 12, 2009
>> If Abe were able to celebrate 200 <<

He would had stayed home that fateful night and watched something on Cinemax.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ken Burns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lincoln's enduring words (Apr '14) Apr '14 Davenport 2
News Hollywood helps turn Gettysburga (Jul '13) Jul '13 Colorado Chick 1
News County parks are a treasure (Oct '09) Oct '09 York city taxpayer 5
News Fresh perspectives on famous battle (Jul '09) Jul '09 Jon 4
News Presidential march began at Gettysburg (Dec '08) Dec '08 Ms Pussyfoot 15
News Ken Burns speaks at Gettysburg Address anniversary (Nov '08) Dec '08 fdgfd 4
News Historic moments in freedom linked (Nov '08) Nov '08 Wow 1
More from around the web