Stand Up To Keanu-Hatred

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#1 Nov 29, 2011
I'm not a huge Keanu Reeves fan. That is, I grew up watching him, liked some of his performances, didn't like others, but you know what, Keanu-hate gets under my skin. I don't know why - maybe because the haters are never satisfied with saying,'I don't like his acting'- no, they have to get vicious and personal, to the point of degrading Keanu. So when I saw this, I had to pipe up:

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/prevented-fr...

I mean, "prevented from sullying" and "mixed race piece of wood"...

Sh**, that's nasty!

I suggest you all go over there and rip the author a few new ones. I did so as "jay".

I tried to put a follow up but couldn't, so I'll do so here. See next comment.

Location hidden

#2 Nov 29, 2011
Here is the comment I couldn't post. You have to click on the link above to understand it.

"For one, Idris Elba was playing a Norse god, not a Nordic man."

Do you believe that Norse gods (or any gods, for that matter) actually exist, or do you believe that all gods are imaginative projections of the people who create them?

I believe the latter. That's the reason why Norse gods are nordic looking whites, and Zulu gods look like Zulus. None of them exist in reality, but if you want an audience to accept the story, you'll choose actors who look "as if" they were real. Casting Idris Elba as Thor was a ludicrous piece of tokenism, which violated the spirit of Norse mythology.

I would not have accepted a black Aragorn - although I think that a better actor than Viggo Mortenson would have done more with the part.

Are you as upset that the latest version of WUTHERING HEIGHTS will have a black Heathcliff, and that they've inserted the n-word into the dialogue? Heathcliff is specifically descibed by Bronte as a 'gipsy'(an Indo-Aryan people who wandered into Europe in the 14th Century) and as for the n-word appearing in her book, no comment.

Will we hear the same outrage from you about the violation of a great work of literature? Somehow I doubt it.

Stop acting like some fascist Japanese nationalist with a samurai costume in the closet. 47 RONIN is a big budget movie and would never have been made w/out Keanu's participation. It's been the subject of dozens of versions in Japan, some of them pretty far-fetched. I don't think that most Japanese will be as upset as you are, so get off your goddamn high horse.

"And that's the last I'll comment on the subject here."

So there, said the petulant 13-year old, sticking her fingers in her ears, singing Taylor Swift loudly to drown out cruel reality...

I'm not really a huge Keanu fan. I have disliked more of his work than I have liked. He is certainly a limited actor. But as I said in my previous comment, he has been convincing in several completely disparate parts. And damn, he's good to look at!

Rob, I don't usually comment on these websites. But your combination of oafish stupidity, arrogance, and vicious mean-spiritedness motivated me to get off my ass and say something. Your fake concern for the purity of Japanese culture combined with your defense of parodying Norse mythology is merely silly, but expressing it with slurring Keanu's racial origins is beyond the pale.

PS about the love story - something tells me this was inserted to appeal to a female audience. The movie's natural audience is young guys. So don't blame that on Keanu."

Guys, I'm not into fandom and I know that Keanu Reeves is a rich famous guy who probably doesn't know or give a f@#k who this Rob is. Whatever. The insults bothered me so I had to say something.

Location hidden

#3 Nov 29, 2011
wow, something went wrong and my first post, which explains the preceding one, didn't transmit.

I am referring to this:

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/prevented-fr...

You have to click on that to see what I am talking about.

I don't understand the peculiar vitriol that Keanu evidently evokes in some losers. You don't have to think he's the greatest actor ever - I don't. But slurs and hatred?

I suggest that others to to that site and rip the perp a few new ones. I did so as jay. My comment is last.

The above entry is what I couldn't post there for some reason. I guess they limit comments to one per.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 29, 2011
JayneS,

Thanks for the link!

I must be getting old. Or maybe it's the wrong time of the month for me to want to get fired up, LOL...

Your response was great! Better than great.:0) The other's responses were good, too.

The author has way too much self-importance to be taken seriously. Like he was looking way, way,*down* his nose while tapping that one out. Those who can't, write, right? Just say'n.

One of the commentators (princess piglet) said:
[snip]"though I think both Reeves and the producers clearly over estimate white America's affection for him unless he's playing duded named Neo or Ted."[end snip]

America didn't fall in love with Ted or Neo until Keanu introduced them to them.:0)'Nuff said.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 29, 2011
Andromeda-1 wrote:
JayneS,
One of the commentators (princess piglet) said:
[snip]"though I think both Reeves and the producers clearly over estimate white America's affection for him unless he's playing duded named Neo or Ted."[end snip]
America didn't fall in love with Ted or Neo until Keanu introduced them to them.:0)'Nuff said.
that was the mighty RobP himself answering to the princess ;)

nuff said indeed ;)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6 Nov 29, 2011
You're right, Luca. My apologies to princess piglet for the misquote. <3

Location hidden

#7 Nov 29, 2011
Sorry for repeating myself. I thought my first post didn't post, but it did.

Anyway thanks Andromeda for your thanks. Can't tell you what to do with your time but geez, if you care about Keanu, call this a-ho out on his vile ethnic slurs, mean spiritedness, inconsistency and last but not least, ignorance about the realities of the film industry.

My two rubles.

oh yeah, check out this article about movies and kung fu:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297...

When I first heard about Msn of Tsi Chi, I was like,'Whaaat?" but I'm just a chick who spends most her life reading Jane Austen, so what do I know? Nada. It seems Keanu is being clever her.

Location hidden

#8 Nov 29, 2011
Ew, last paragraph should read:

"When I first heard about Man of Tai Chi, I was like,'Whaaat?" but I'm just a chick who spends most her life reading Jane Austen, so what do I know? Nada. It seems Keanu is being clever here."

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#9 Dec 2, 2011
I'm still standing!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#10 Dec 2, 2011

Location hidden

#11 Dec 3, 2011
Quantum - nice touch of humor ;)

Since: Oct 11

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Dec 7, 2011
I don't know why people waste their time with the negative side of the internet and bashing a man that has a heart of gold. shame!

Location hidden

#13 Dec 8, 2011
because they can.
deena

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Dec 8, 2011
they can, but they should keep their mouths shut and fingers tied.

“"Daddy's coming"”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#15 Dec 8, 2011
What people think of us is really none of our business, as it comes from a place of their own understanding, which usually has nothing to do with the truth. And what we send out does come back to us..eventually.

Those that invest energy in bashing such an obviously Talented, Intelligent, Kind, Humble, Witty Soul..well they may come back as pond scum! Keanu knows the truth and us die hard fans are here to balance the scales of evil!

“Keanu Rocks”

Since: Sep 08

Southampton

#16 Dec 11, 2011
wow i have never seen such jelousy from one racist white suprneisist before in my whole life. I feel sorry for that sad peice of excrement for only haveing race to fall back on in his critisism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keanu Reeves Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Keanu Reeves Vampire TV show? (Apr '13) 6 hr Username 349
The God Key 12 hr Username 61
Everyone is a creep now I guess... Sat Username 70
News John Wick TV series in development, Keanu Reeve... Sat Username 139
Details Jan 7 Whorebird 4
phoenix inn southside Jan 7 Whorebird 10
Whorebird Jan 5 SarahGoodWitchSalem 10
More from around the web