The Video Goes Viral

Posted in the Keanu Reeves Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#1 Dec 13, 2011
Keanu kindly gave up a seat on the NYC subway to a lady in August, which was captured on video and posted soon after. No one paid much attention to it at the time. Honestly I was a bit surprised. It struck me as something that should have gone viral.

It had so many nice, attention-getting elements. Keanu on the subway. Keanu recently cleaned up after the long hair for the filming. No one recognizing him on the subway. And finally, giving the lady the seat.

Now, all of a sudden, months after the fact, the video goes viral. Why?

I no longer take these things for granted. I think his publicist must have pushed this in an effort to keep Keanu's name in the media for the Ronin rollout next November. First we see the expected "new couple alert" with Sandra Bullock (ho hum). That dies down and this video suddenly goes viral. At some point Generation Um, will be released. All of this is to things buzzing.

I just don't trust the idea that something which was languishing in obscurity becomes prominent without a push.

I'm not saying he gave up the seat for that reason. I think he was just being nice and a gentleman. But once the video appeared, why not take advantage of it. I wonder if we'll be hearing questions about this in interviews, like there were questions about Sad Keanu. They'll probably show the video on Leno and Letterman when he appears to plug Ronin.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#2 Dec 13, 2011
of course it's a PR thing.

One year before the official release of his Universal 3D tent-pole whatever.

Most people don't remember what they had for dinner last week, but they will certainly remember a video that went viral one year ago.

yeah, sure.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 13, 2011
LucaM wrote:
Most people don't remember what they had for dinner last week, but they will certainly remember a video that went viral one year ago.
yeah, sure.
Do they remember Sad Keanu?

“#'64”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 Dec 13, 2011
JayneS wrote:
onths after the fact, the video goes viral. Why?
I no longer take these things for granted. I think his publicist must have pushed this in an effort to keep Keanu's name in the media for the Ronin rollout next November....
I haven' read the rest of your quote... why? b/c November is like nearly a year away.

That's like a Bazillion years in H'wood years.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just pointing out the obvious. To me.

“#'64”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Dec 13, 2011
LucaM wrote:
yeah, sure.
THANK YOU.

And who am I?

(Where are my recipes??!?!!??!)

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#6 Dec 14, 2011
JayneS wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they remember Sad Keanu?
"Sad Keanu" was a meme. Not quite the same thing.
It generated a Facebook event, the 'Cheer Up Keanu Day", a Reddit thread which at its turn was the inspiration for thankyoukeanu.com (no longer active, but it stayed online for almost a year; a copy of it is available at WINM), a few twitter accounts...

different kind of critters ;)

one and a half years later, the memory of Sad Keanu is, sadly, fading

Location hidden

#7 Dec 14, 2011
the_stray_cat wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sad Keanu" was a meme. Not quite the same thing.
It generated a Facebook event, the 'Cheer Up Keanu Day", a Reddit thread which at its turn was the inspiration for thankyoukeanu.com (no longer active, but it stayed online for almost a year; a copy of it is available at WINM), a few twitter accounts...
different kind of critters ;)
one and a half years later, the memory of Sad Keanu is, sadly, fading
It was a photograph that became a meme. The video promises to become a meme, as well. It has already inspired a Reddit thread.

Why, all of a sudden does this 4 months old video, which had 2000 viewers then it came out, now have over 2.5 million? Because a publicist pushed it, it got picked up by the Daily Mail, and it went viral from there.
yelenav

Binche, Belgium

#8 Dec 14, 2011
At least on the video he looks beter, than on the photo ( my taste)

Location hidden

#9 Dec 14, 2011
I agree with you yelenav. In the video he is very handsome and very sweet.

But of course, many men are sweet and have done nice things for me, but they don't get drooled over by fans. Let's hope these unsung hero men have wives and girlfriends and families to appreciate them, which means so much more than a bunch of faceless fans.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#10 Dec 15, 2011
JayneS wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, all of a sudden does this 4 months old video, which had 2000 viewers then it came out, now have over 2.5 million? Because a publicist pushed it, it got picked up by the Daily Mail, and it went viral from there.
*shrugs*

if that's what you want to believe...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#11 Dec 15, 2011
LucaM wrote:
yeah, sure.
Of course it's PR
He has a big movie coming next year and they fear that his image will be stained. He and Amanda de Cadenet are about to be exposed for a disgusting and cruel game.
KEANU REEVES gentleman or douche?

Definitely, he is The Douche world champion. I give him a big star on the Walk of Shame.

Question is : does Erwin Stoff knows about Reeves shameful games?
I don't think Erwin Stoff would appreciate what Reeves did, for it was cruel and irresponsible.

Location hidden

#12 Dec 15, 2011
Andromeda-1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven' read the rest of your quote... why? b/c November is like nearly a year away.
That's like a Bazillion years in H'wood years.
I'm not picking a fight. I'm just pointing out the obvious. To me.
Andromeda...fame is something that needs constant stoking, like a fire. Otherwise it goes out. Reading the comments on Youtube from people who are not Keanu fans is instructive. Things like, "he's still making movies?" "I'd forgotten about him," and so on.

This dies down, then Generation Um comes out. Then something else, then Ronin. It's a steady drip drip, to remind people.

And maybe this doesn't die down. It's become quite the viral sensation. Viral videos become memes, which take on a life of their own. This might well still be a big deal at least until Gen Um comes out. I virtually bet you that Gen Um does a lot better than Henry's Crime, which made $200K, a failure even by indie standards.

I'm positive that his team has been pushing this video behind the scenes. Something doesn't just hang around, and then boom! Suddenly its viral, and a reddit thread.

It just doesn't work th

Location hidden

#13 Dec 15, 2011
Sorry, my computer is slow and my last sentence got cut off. Should have been, It just doesn't work that way.

Location hidden

#14 Dec 15, 2011
Iamnofool wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it's PR
He has a big movie coming next year and they fear that his image will be stained. He and Amanda de Cadenet are about to be exposed for a disgusting and cruel game.
KEANU REEVES gentleman or douche?
Definitely, he is The Douche world champion. I give him a big star on the Walk of Shame.
Question is : does Erwin Stoff knows about Reeves shameful games?
I don't think Erwin Stoff would appreciate what Reeves did, for it was cruel and irresponsible.
Wow, looks like this Topix board to go crazy now.

Calling the Keanu SWAT team!!

Fool, what the F are you talking about? Stop being such a tease and tell us this game you mysteriously allude to.

Regarding ADC, that's another reason I doubt the whole "Keanu can't find love with a good woman meme". If you want to find love, a true and sincere relationship, you don't hang around with a dumb, empty ho-bag like ADC.

I saw a photo of Patricia and the ho-bag together once. The only time I ever saw a picture of Patricia where she looked warm and loving. It was like mother and daughter.

Location hidden

#15 Dec 15, 2011
JayneS wrote:
<quoted text>
Henry's Crime, which made $200K
not exactly.
Total gross, domestic(US)+ Foreign =$ 2,062,820
source:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/...

Location hidden

#16 Dec 15, 2011
LucaM wrote:
<quoted text>
not exactly.
Total gross, domestic(US)+ Foreign =$ 2,062,820
source:
But here on the summary page it says approx.$205K:

On the foreign gross page,$1.5M of the total is from Russia, which I find weird. Also nothing from Germany. Something's wrong.

Location hidden

#17 Dec 15, 2011
JayneS wrote:
<quoted text>
But here on the summary page it says approx.$205K:
Yes, it says that, because that site is adding the total domestic gross of the 9 weeks theatrical release with the gross of the first weekend of the UK release, while ignoring the rest of the foreign gross. Apples and oranges, as you said once.
Something's wrong indeed.
JayneS wrote:
<quoted text> On the foreign gross page,$1.5M of the total is from Russia, which I find weird.
why do you find it weird?
JayneS wrote:
<quoted text> Also nothing from Germany.
maybe 'cause it wasn't released in theaters in Germany? nor in most European countries, either; they had to wait for the DVD to be released...

Location hidden

#18 Dec 15, 2011
LucaM wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
why do you find it weird?
<quoted text>
maybe 'cause it wasn't released in theaters in Germany? nor in most European countries, either; they had to wait for the DVD to be released...
I find it weird because it is such an outlier. And also the outlier is from a country that is notoriously shall we say lax about transparent reporting of financial data, hm.

Russia has 3X the population of Britain but the box office of a little indie movie is, what, 15 times that of Britain?(Britain's box office equals the US because they are more likely to go to a quirky little indie film, directed by a Brit.)

I think something is off. I don't trust that number.

Now, Luca, if you want to engage in an argument about this, go right ahead. I've got more important things to do - but my gut tells me that Henry's Crime made, at most,$300K and change, maybe $400K - pushing it to the max.

That's about half of what Motherhood with Uma Thurman made, which was ridiculed for its lack of box office.

Location hidden

#19 Dec 15, 2011
Addendum to above, movie sites often have questionable numbers. In trying to verify what the foreign box office of HC was, I looked at IMDB. That number wasn't there, but IMDB claimed that the prod'n budget of HC was $12M. Does anyone believe that? I don't. At least, I hope not.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 15, 2011
First you mention a figure taken from a movie box office site.
When I point out that one of the most important box office sites (which happens to be the source quoted by IMDb, also ;)) fails at simple math, you say that something is off, that you don't trust the numbers they provide and you don't like (because they don't back up your affirmations), and that your gut is more reliable in establishing the box office of a movie than the specialized web sites.

ok, I understood that newspapers lie and journalists are paid by PR agents. Now all of a sudden box office sites are unreliable as well.

Do I want to engage in an argument about this?

Nope ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keanu Reeves Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Bill & Ted 3' in the works Sun Francesco Sinibaldi 3
Keanu “straight, gay or bisexual?” (Apr '09) Sat Bliss 215
Shakespeare in the Kitchen! (Jul '09) Sep 23 hayseed mchickerson 545
j-o-k-e-s (Jul '09) Sep 23 Andromeda-1 461
does keanu ever writes back to his fans?? (Nov '09) Sep 18 ConstantineFan 60
It's what this lunatic of ana de armas? Sep 17 pau 10
by the way (Sep '12) Sep 12 sasssassysass 929

Keanu Reeves People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE