Ridgefield Playhouse could close

Ridgefield Playhouse could close

There are 52 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Sep 9, 2009, titled Ridgefield Playhouse could close. In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Imagine what this area's performing arts offerings would be without The Ridgefield Playhouse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jeff B

United States

#2 Sep 9, 2009
Even folks in Ridgefield are starting to view $250 as being too much to spend during a recession for acts that are past their prime. Also, the people in the VIP area tend to be somewhat snooty and cold.
Just Curious

Danbury, CT

#3 Sep 9, 2009
This summer's offerings were lame, and not getting much better. The "Bacon Brothers"? I guess the "Sausage Sisters" weren't available.

They do get some good performers there - Suzanne Vega and Aimme Mann were great up close - but not lately. i'd hate to see it close, but please step it up.
Needs vs Wants

El Paso, TX

#4 Sep 9, 2009
The Playhouse is a great place to see a show. I have seen many there, but it is expensive.

I always wonder if performers cut their fees during a recession. My guess is they don't.
Why pay taxes

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Sep 9, 2009
Come on now, You put him in office so it looks to me you got just what you asked for. I saw him on TV today saying it was over and you are doing good. I'm sorry to see the Ridgefield Playhouse close but who can buy a seat at $125.00???
Ridgefield Man

Southbury, CT

#6 Sep 9, 2009
Say it ain't so! Dig deep Ridgefield and support YOUR playhouse!
life is interesting

Higganum, CT

#7 Sep 9, 2009
I would love to go and support the playhouse, but it is too much money for me right now.

“What's up?”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8 Sep 9, 2009
You can still hang, and smoke weed in the lot for free!
Green Eyes

Hanson, MA

#9 Sep 10, 2009
I hope the playhouse makes it. People from other towns come here for the great shows. I support the playhouse as much as I can. I bought a membership to support them and see several shows a year.$500 for two tickets is kind of steep for me and for others too. Some of the ticket prices are high but they get great talent. Save the playhouse!
Steve

Ridgefield, CT

#10 Sep 10, 2009
And so you think the Palace in downtown slum Danbury will succeed. Ives will fall next. For the money these groups are asking you can go to NYC and have a really good time.
mclean

United States

#11 Sep 10, 2009
There is an obvious consideration which is missing from this story. Ticket prices are way too high. Average show prices are in the $65-85 range with some prices going into three figures. They are cutting out a lot of potential audience at these "Ridgefield" price levels.
Wiley Post

Woodbury, CT

#12 Sep 10, 2009
Sometimes the community itself must support these cultural efforts, and this may be one of those times. Depending on its priorities, if a community feels a quality venue is important enough it will step up to make it happen - and continue to happen. The same will be true for the Palace. If a city wants an image destination often like a park or a school it must nurture it perpetually. Like Ridgefield, towns and cities that do so speak well for themselves as far as I'm concerned.
jon

United States

#14 Sep 10, 2009
It's too bad about the Playhouse. It's an amazing venue, but I haven't been there for a show, because of the prices. Even before the recession I wasn't gonna drop $150. on a date night. When the brochure just came in the mail, I didn't even look at it because, i just dumped it in the trash. I wish I could support the Playhouse.
alex

Dallas, TX

#16 Sep 10, 2009
A NATURAL MAN wrote:
The heart of the problem, is the age-group the acts are being marketed to. The majority of them haven't charted a hit in over 30 years.
In fact, even as a middle-aged man, I find many of the performers featured appeal to people even older than myself.
Lower the median age of your target audience, and lower the ticket prices. That's how they'll put a**es in the seats.
Wow, you're really smart. You should sell snow shovels or something.
mike

New Milford, CT

#20 Sep 10, 2009
i was involved with the playhouse in the beginning and it was like a new adventure almost every week. the shows they put on in the early years were great. the playhouse put on a fresh face from the gate but somehow started spinning it's wheels, bringing in supper club performers with fast food menus. it just didn't seem fresh anymore and management changed hands more than was necessary. to sum it up , the playhouse got too big for it's britches and found out too late that high quality acts didn't want to appear and earn less than their talent was due. too bad they made a valiant try
Dave

Lawrence, MA

#21 Sep 10, 2009
Once I saw the ticket prices for shows at this place I never considered going to any shows. They need to make their ticket proces more affordable so that people who live outside of Ridgefield can afford to go.
peacefrogx

New York, NY

#22 Sep 10, 2009
it is what it is. entertainment dollars are not a necessity, they are a luxury. if the acts you bring don't elicit ticket sales or if the cost of the acts you do want to see are too expensive, then you won't sell tickets. never blame the public for how or what they spend their money are. they are always right.

this is not charity - this is entertainment. if we don't like it, we don't buy it.
think about it

Brunswick, ME

#23 Sep 10, 2009
Close the open bar, let people tailgate a bit, lower basic ticket prices, get better shows....very simple
Salad Fingers

Montvale, NJ

#24 Sep 10, 2009
I think the problem with the playhouse is the music programming. Boring (Trower is the exception) and repetitive. They need to get cooler acts in there, some fresh faces - both for openers and headliners. How about giving some different area original bands a shot at opening up? Or is Christopher Robin (who I happen to like) the only area musician worth listening to? Getting different local bands will expand exposure and get people in the seats for the headliners. Anyway, with some few exceptions (Counsin Larry's) the music scene west of Waterbury is dismal. Molly Darcy's will have the tired old bands month after month and year after year pandering to an aging and diminishing crowd, and one day the dance floor will feature a bunch whirling and clattering skeletons dancing to Mustang Sally.
a musician

Danbury, CT

#25 Sep 10, 2009
the reason why ticket sales are declining is because most of the time, u have lame music or lame artists that no one wants to see. follow in the footsteps of the ives. they had a great summer with BB king collective soul and government mule

Brownout

“Stay out of my Fanny”

Since: Oct 08

Danbury

#26 Sep 10, 2009
a musician wrote:
the reason why ticket sales are declining is because most of the time, u have lame music or lame artists that no one wants to see. follow in the footsteps of the ives. they had a great summer with BB king collective soul and government mule
Robin Trower is no lame act bro. I have never attended the Ridgefield Playhouse only because I absolutely hate route 7. Nothing like having the fire department cut you out of your car with a huge deer on your lap after a concert. I rather go to MSG and catch the big ticket acts like Metalica, Aerosmith etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kathy Mattea Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Battle over mountaintop mining slowly gains ground (Apr '10) Apr '10 informed citizen 6
News People rally against mountaintop removal at Cap... (Feb '10) Feb '10 ex coalminer 1
News Musicians to perform at chapel (Jun '09) Jun '09 edwin bouchard 1
News Santa Train Makes Annual Excursion Through Appa... (Nov '08) Nov '08 BKingrea 1
News Singers Are Taking Better Care of Their Voices (Apr '08) Apr '08 hillbilly lil 1
Kathy Mattea and Homer Hickam - Coal Mine Tour ... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Creed 1
I Love Kathy Meattea's Songs (Oct '07) Oct '07 Kristi Ariana Spa... 1
More from around the web