Review: Indiana Jones - Kingdom of th...

Review: Indiana Jones - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

There are 3 comments on the Newsday story from May 19, 2008, titled Review: Indiana Jones - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In it, Newsday reports that:

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL . Indiana Jones returns to battle a group of evil Russians hunting for a lost artifact with supposed psychic powers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Cincinnati, OH

#1 May 22, 2008
This farfetched installment of the Indiana Jones series is a mockery of the original ones. I was very disappointed with the plot and the plot device as they were extremely over thought. I think this movie was overdone because they thought people wouldn't keep interest but it only made the movie that much worse. Indiana Jones needs to be kept what it is, an adventure, not a science fiction. Lucas was wrong for thinking that this movie wouldn't be as appealing if it didn't go over the top. Although there were a few unbelievable parts to the first three, most of the plot devices were centered on the power of God which most people believe as plausible (leap of faith, the ark consuming those who seek God’s power and the cup of Christ causing the temple to crumble when taken past the seal). These are all believable but the plot device in Indiana Jones 4 had to do with aliens. Just because the time period was right smack in the middle of the UFO controversies, doesn't mean that the movie should have anything to do with them. Another repetitive annoyance was the numerous jokes and humor references to the previous films. One or two would have been fine, but this one was just trying too hard. I think it was the only thing Lucas could do, besides going over the top with the science fiction strategy, to attempt to relate this film with the first three because of the large time gap. Lastly, I was disappointed with Karen Allen's character Marion Ravenwood. I don't know if she was asked to play the part different from how she portrayed the character in the first installment, but Marion was a loopy, and total different, character. Overall, I feel that this film was a mockery of the first three, and I don't recommend it. Indiana Jones surviving a nuclear blast, flying for miles, and landing safely all while inside an empty refrigerator, disappointment. Thirteen Crystal skeletons combining into one causing the antagonist's brain to overload of knowledge, ultimately causing a UFO to rise from the ancient ruins only to destroy the ruins and then fly away, disappointment. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a disappointment.

#2 May 29, 2008
I liked the first half but not the second, once they got to the Amazon got alot worse. I also noticed several plot errors...

1. Indiana talking about a crystal skull "I saw one in the British Museum once."

then how did this skull end up in the 'tomb' at the end?

2. Francisco, obbsessed with money did not take all of the skulls, WHY?

3. Indiana talking about the lost city "They developed technology like farming and irrigation thousands of years before anyone else"

later... talking about the paintings on the wall of the temple place "These are as old as the pyramids"

I dont know much about history but I do know that the Egyptians had farms and irrigation.

#3 May 30, 2008
It was ok. Very good in places but what on earth was a UFO and Aliens doing in Indiana Jones, come on!! Some parts really far-fetched but other than that a great film

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Karen Allen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allen has designs on her second act (Sep '07) May '14 Top Of Mom 2
News 'November Christmas': Sam Elliott, Karen Allen ... (Nov '10) Dec '12 Dr-J-Christmas 29
Karen Allen nude - pics and videos (Mar '11) Mar '11 Irvin 1
Karen Allen nude (Mar '11) Mar '11 Dee 1
News Ghosts of Christmas Comedy: 'Scrooged' (Dec '08) Dec '08 Erik Rager 69777 1
News Lucas Searching For 5th Indiana Jones Film? (Aug '08) Aug '08 Ninja 3
News Lucas Searching For 5th Indiana Jones Film? (Aug '08) Aug '08 Merry 4
More from around the web