johnny horton, i have several questio...

johnny horton, i have several questions about his death, his family and his song

Posted in the Johnny Horton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mel

Louisville, KY

#1 Jan 20, 2010
I am a great fan of johnny horton the late great, i was born 7 yrs after his death,. my questions are first of all what became of james evan davis the man that was drunk and hit johnny horton and killed him? hwat age was johnny horton's daughters when he died , they had to be very young girls. i read where she remarried and divorced after his death speaking of johnny's widow, he was apparently a family man and a religous man. He had premonitions of his death, did he have dreams? or visions or what? i saw a photo and read where johnny's grave was moved down about 2-3 places in the cemetery on the same row. why was he moved? he was by a walk way? what did his wife do after his death? did they get anything out of his death? such as insurance. back then they didn't have the modern things as we do today? I wondered also. why is there no pictures of the accident and his funeral. i have seen pictures of people like James dean the actor there was photos of his accident and i wondered also was there ever a book written on Johnny Horton. If so I would like to purchase it, i have a older brother born in 1947, he loved johnny horton and my brother was a great bismarck fan he loved all the stories on the bismarck. He is the first person i ever heard of Johnny horton through my brother told me about him and his music and I just fell in love with the battle of new orleans. I love the 1959 video of a live t.v. show . i also wondered where was that taped at was that on nbc or the grand ole opery. His death still saddens me./ i read where he was still alive when medical help arrived but died in the ambulance. that is so so tragic. he was a young man of only 35 yrs old. i read where his death may have been because the sun visor rod went through his head. that makes it more of a tragedy. i have wondered what became of the young davis man who was 19 yrs old and drunk , i read where he got no jail time. my husband said that was not right he caused the fatal accident. did he write the battle of new orleans and bismarck himself? is there any pictures of him and his wife and children. did he not have kids by his first wife. he was very hansome and i belive a religious man. if anyone can answer just one of my questions i would really appreciate it thank you very much. did johnny have brothers and sisters? if so did they become singers he had a special voice how he could raise and lower it into a baritone or tenor or something. his pictures all lokk so kind and like he was a very nice person. I pray he went to heaven and i hope that James davis thought about it yrs later what he had caused and the death he caused by being drunk. God bless/
Lonnie

Spicewood, TX

#2 Apr 15, 2010
There was a book written about Johnny called, "Your Singing Fisherman", I believe written my Michael Levine. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you may still be able to find it used on places such as Amazon or other used book sites. It's still out there, I recently saw it on Amazon. There are photos in the book of the wrecked Cadillac that Johnny was driving that night. Johnny's bass player, friend, and manager, Tillman Franks, has written a book titled, "I Was There When It Happened", and a large part of the book is about Johnny and the times they went through. I live in Burnet, Texas, about 75 miles due west of Milano, Texas, where Johnny was killed and have been to the wreck site a number of times. It's about 40-50 miles east of Round Rock, Texas, on Highway 79 in the small town of Milano. It ocurred on a railroad bridge/overpass and there was no place for Johnny to swerve to avoid the head-on collision. Johnny was alive when medics arrived, but died in the ambulance about half-way between Milano and Cameron, from multiple injuries. Several years ago, I exchanged several e-mails with Tillman and he would tell me some of the stories of the things that they had done. Tillman was riding in the front passenger seat when the wreck ocurred and Tommy Tomlinson (Johnny's lead guitar player), was in the back seat. Both of them were severely injured, with Tommy eventually having to have his leg amputated, due to the injuries. Tillman, along with several other people that I have talked to that knew Johnny, have said that Johnny was one of the most nicest and sincerest people you could have ever met. The world lost a wonderful person when it lost Johnny. There are a few pictures out there of Johnny and his wife. I have not seen any with Johnny and his children. Billie Jean (his wife), tried recording a few times and eventually became a minister. She lives in Dallas the last I knew. As far as i know, Johnny's grave was never moved. They have moved the road and created a walkway, due to the amount of people that come to pay their respects and vistit his grave site. Anyhow, I hope I have answered some of your questions about Johnny. I too, am a HUGE Johnny Horton fan and have been ever since I was a young 'un. Take care and I hope you find the books I mentioned. There's a wealth of info about him.
Lonnie D. Brewer
Lori Myette

Norfolk, VA

#3 Oct 26, 2010
Lonnie if you were in the USN and are married to Susan Please contact me I live in VA used 2 work at the greenWheel Inn Lost contact with you and Susan after the move from PR to Maryland [email protected]
ltt

Leander, TX

#4 Nov 3, 2010
Lonnie wrote:
There was a book written about Johnny called, "Your Singing Fisherman", I believe written my Michael Levine. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you may still be able to find it used on places such as Amazon or other used book sites. It's still out there, I recently saw it on Amazon. There are photos in the book of the wrecked Cadillac that Johnny was driving that night. Johnny's bass player, friend, and manager, Tillman Franks, has written a book titled, "I Was There When It Happened", and a large part of the book is about Johnny and the times they went through. I live in Burnet, Texas, about 75 miles due west of Milano, Texas, where Johnny was killed and have been to the wreck site a number of times. It's about 40-50 miles east of Round Rock, Texas, on Highway 79 in the small town of Milano. It ocurred on a railroad bridge/overpass and there was no place for Johnny to swerve to avoid the head-on collision. Johnny was alive when medics arrived, but died in the ambulance about half-way between Milano and Cameron, from multiple injuries. Several years ago, I exchanged several e-mails with Tillman and he would tell me some of the stories of the things that they had done. Tillman was riding in the front passenger seat when the wreck ocurred and Tommy Tomlinson (Johnny's lead guitar player), was in the back seat. Both of them were severely injured, with Tommy eventually having to have his leg amputated, due to the injuries. Tillman, along with several other people that I have talked to that knew Johnny, have said that Johnny was one of the most nicest and sincerest people you could have ever met. The world lost a wonderful person when it lost Johnny. There are a few pictures out there of Johnny and his wife. I have not seen any with Johnny and his children. Billie Jean (his wife), tried recording a few times and eventually became a minister. She lives in Dallas the last I knew. As far as i know, Johnny's grave was never moved. They have moved the road and created a walkway, due to the amount of people that come to pay their respects and vistit his grave site. Anyhow, I hope I have answered some of your questions about Johnny. I too, am a HUGE Johnny Horton fan and have been ever since I was a young 'un. Take care and I hope you find the books I mentioned. There's a wealth of info about him.
Lonnie D. Brewer
It looks like most of your questions were answered. I to am a big fan of Horton and have listened to his songs ever since I can remember. I was only two when he died but my older brother would sing his songs to me when I was young. There is a fundraiser in Milano this Friday night (50 years to the date of Hortons death) to raise money for a memorial for Horton. To answer one of your questions, the 1959 video is from Ed Sullivan show, Horton also appeared on American Bandstand. Horton practiced spiritualism and was very much into the belief of after life.
robert

Vincennes, IN

#5 Feb 27, 2011
like also to let folks know there was the book on e bay a while back price seem high for my blood but some one may wish to pay the price if it still there .your singing fisherman.also there a c.d. album out titled johnny horton 1956-1960 bcd 15470 that has a book inside on johnny horton color pictures and its got 123 pages i have it and love it. its got c.d.s with it.
Midknight

Macon, GA

#6 Oct 1, 2012
James Davis, the drunk driver who caused the death of Johnny Horton, received only minor injuries and was given a slap on the wrist by the sentencing judge.
Shay

United States

#7 Jan 27, 2013
I was told years ago that my son is related to Johnny Horton. Is there "free" way to find out? It would be on my sons dads side od family and we dont talk. Please if anyone can help let me know. My son is 14 and very interested!! Thanks!
Shay

United States

#8 Jan 27, 2013
My email is [email protected] if anyone can help! My sons grandparents (one of whom i am told is related to Horton) live in wanette,ok, their names are Bobby and Patty Jones. Thanks again!
Chris

Toronto, Canada

#9 Feb 28, 2013
What ever happened to James Davis who killed Johnny?
Lonnie wrote:
There was a book written about Johnny called, "Your Singing Fisherman", I believe written my Michael Levine. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you may still be able to find it used on places such as Amazon or other used book sites. It's still out there, I recently saw it on Amazon. There are photos in the book of the wrecked Cadillac that Johnny was driving that night. Johnny's bass player, friend, and manager, Tillman Franks, has written a book titled, "I Was There When It Happened", and a large part of the book is about Johnny and the times they went through. I live in Burnet, Texas, about 75 miles due west of Milano, Texas, where Johnny was killed and have been to the wreck site a number of times. It's about 40-50 miles east of Round Rock, Texas, on Highway 79 in the small town of Milano. It ocurred on a railroad bridge/overpass and there was no place for Johnny to swerve to avoid the head-on collision. Johnny was alive when medics arrived, but died in the ambulance about half-way between Milano and Cameron, from multiple injuries. Several years ago, I exchanged several e-mails with Tillman and he would tell me some of the stories of the things that they had done. Tillman was riding in the front passenger seat when the wreck ocurred and Tommy Tomlinson (Johnny's lead guitar player), was in the back seat. Both of them were severely injured, with Tommy eventually having to have his leg amputated, due to the injuries. Tillman, along with several other people that I have talked to that knew Johnny, have said that Johnny was one of the most nicest and sincerest people you could have ever met. The world lost a wonderful person when it lost Johnny. There are a few pictures out there of Johnny and his wife. I have not seen any with Johnny and his children. Billie Jean (his wife), tried recording a few times and eventually became a minister. She lives in Dallas the last I knew. As far as i know, Johnny's grave was never moved. They have moved the road and created a walkway, due to the amount of people that come to pay their respects and vistit his grave site. Anyhow, I hope I have answered some of your questions about Johnny. I too, am a HUGE Johnny Horton fan and have been ever since I was a young 'un. Take care and I hope you find the books I mentioned. There's a wealth of info about him.
Lonnie D. Brewer
Pooly Record Hop

Girona, Spain

#10 Sep 1, 2013
Mel wrote:
I am a great fan of johnny horton the late great, i was born 7 yrs after his death,. my questions are first of all what became of james evan davis the man that was drunk and hit johnny horton and killed him? hwat age was johnny horton's daughters when he died , they had to be very young girls. i read where she remarried and divorced after his death speaking of johnny's widow, he was apparently a family man and a religous man. He had premonitions of his death, did he have dreams? or visions or what? i saw a photo and read where johnny's grave was moved down about 2-3 places in the cemetery on the same row. why was he moved? he was by a walk way? what did his wife do after his death? did they get anything out of his death? such as insurance. back then they didn't have the modern things as we do today? I wondered also. why is there no pictures of the accident and his funeral. i have seen pictures of people like James dean the actor there was photos of his accident and i wondered also was there ever a book written on Johnny Horton. If so I would like to purchase it, i have a older brother born in 1947, he loved johnny horton and my brother was a great bismarck fan he loved all the stories on the bismarck. He is the first person i ever heard of Johnny horton through my brother told me about him and his music and I just fell in love with the battle of new orleans. I love the 1959 video of a live t.v. show . i also wondered where was that taped at was that on nbc or the grand ole opery. His death still saddens me./ i read where he was still alive when medical help arrived but died in the ambulance. that is so so tragic. he was a young man of only 35 yrs old. i read where his death may have been because the sun visor rod went through his head. that makes it more of a tragedy. i have wondered what became of the young davis man who was 19 yrs old and drunk , i read where he got no jail time. my husband said that was not right he caused the fatal accident. did he write the battle of new orleans and bismarck himself? is there any pictures of him and his wife and children. did he not have kids by his first wife. he was very hansome and i belive a religious man. if anyone can answer just one of my questions i would really appreciate it thank you very much. did johnny have brothers and sisters? if so did they become singers he had a special voice how he could raise and lower it into a baritone or tenor or something. his pictures all lokk so kind and like he was a very nice person. I pray he went to heaven and i hope that James davis thought about it yrs later what he had caused and the death he caused by being drunk. God bless/
Hi ,
Actually I'm researchin' the same thank you about Johnny Horton, I'm a crazy collector and a big fan about his life...you can see me on FB "POOLY RECORD HOP", also please contact with me: [email protected]
Best
Pooly
Al Terry

Merced, CA

#11 Sep 8, 2013
I am a big fan of Johnny Horton, and I was searching for a movie about Johnny Horton. I have seen the ones of Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Jr. but none of Johnny Horton or Hank Snow. Has anyone heard of any?
Pooly Record Hop

Reus, Spain

#12 Sep 22, 2013
Al Terry wrote:
I am a big fan of Johnny Horton, and I was searching for a movie about Johnny Horton. I have seen the ones of Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Jr. but none of Johnny Horton or Hank Snow. Has anyone heard of any?
http://www.bear-family.com/en/dvd-video/dvd-a...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#13 Feb 20, 2014
It seems that everyone dances around the question of whatever happened to James Davis, the killer of Johnny Horton and just rehashes info about Horton that's common knowledge. Since he has such a common generic name, maybe finding info is too difficult.
Did anyone know that Johnny Horton was bald?
Jerry Hope

Shreveport, LA

#14 Feb 21, 2014
Pooly Record Hop wrote:
Yes, Johnny was bald on top, but had hair on the sides. He was very self-conscience about it and always wore a hat or toupee. I have only one photo with his head showing..
I have a letter from the District Attorney dated soon after the wreck, James Davis as given a suspended sentence and NEVER served any jail time..
I recently joined with Bear Family records and they released films from my collection for a Johnny Horton DVD, The Singing Fisherman"
I also provide many unheard songs, interviews & pictures for new Box set which will be released soon.. This will be the third and final box set in the Johnny Horton series...
Johnny was wonderful person, I miss him and cherish every momento I have .. I knew Johnny when in my teens and am still friends with several family members.. I have numerous personal effects such as his stage Tuxedo, fishing lures etc
Billie Jean did remarry after Johnny's death.. She in currently in a nursing home in Shreveport, La
JH
Dan Reylan

Ponchatoula, LA

#16 Mar 27, 2014
There is a guy in Tennessee who goes around singing with a band that calls himself Johnny Horton, Jr. Is he legit?
Nick

Du Bois, PA

#17 Apr 8, 2014
Where is Johnny Horton's killer?
pooly record hop

Granollers, Spain

#18 Apr 9, 2014
Dan Reylan wrote:
There is a guy in Tennessee who goes around singing with a band that calls himself Johnny Horton, Jr. Is he legit?
I don't think so! is an impostor
find me on FB "Pooly Record Hop"
Scott Doherty

Amarillo, TX

#20 Apr 20, 2014
Lonnie, are you from Hedley?
Lonnie wrote:
There was a book written about Johnny called, "Your Singing Fisherman", I believe written my Michael Levine. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you may still be able to find it used on places such as Amazon or other used book sites. It's still out there, I recently saw it on Amazon. There are photos in the book of the wrecked Cadillac that Johnny was driving that night. Johnny's bass player, friend, and manager, Tillman Franks, has written a book titled, "I Was There When It Happened", and a large part of the book is about Johnny and the times they went through. I live in Burnet, Texas, about 75 miles due west of Milano, Texas, where Johnny was killed and have been to the wreck site a number of times. It's about 40-50 miles east of Round Rock, Texas, on Highway 79 in the small town of Milano. It ocurred on a railroad bridge/overpass and there was no place for Johnny to swerve to avoid the head-on collision. Johnny was alive when medics arrived, but died in the ambulance about half-way between Milano and Cameron, from multiple injuries. Several years ago, I exchanged several e-mails with Tillman and he would tell me some of the stories of the things that they had done. Tillman was riding in the front passenger seat when the wreck ocurred and Tommy Tomlinson (Johnny's lead guitar player), was in the back seat. Both of them were severely injured, with Tommy eventually having to have his leg amputated, due to the injuries. Tillman, along with several other people that I have talked to that knew Johnny, have said that Johnny was one of the most nicest and sincerest people you could have ever met. The world lost a wonderful person when it lost Johnny. There are a few pictures out there of Johnny and his wife. I have not seen any with Johnny and his children. Billie Jean (his wife), tried recording a few times and eventually became a minister. She lives in Dallas the last I knew. As far as i know, Johnny's grave was never moved. They have moved the road and created a walkway, due to the amount of people that come to pay their respects and vistit his grave site. Anyhow, I hope I have answered some of your questions about Johnny. I too, am a HUGE Johnny Horton fan and have been ever since I was a young 'un. Take care and I hope you find the books I mentioned. There's a wealth of info about him.
Lonnie D. Brewer
fan

Vicksburg, MS

#21 Jun 30, 2014
http://www.porterloring.com/memsol.cgi...

Link to James Davis obit.
jerryhope

Shreveport, LA

#22 Oct 15, 2014
Dan Reylan wrote:
There is a guy in Tennessee who goes around singing with a band that calls himself Johnny Horton, Jr. Is he legit?
No, there no Johnny Horton Jr although there have been several imposters promoting themselves as Johnny Horton Jr. One was exposed up in the Northwest years ago. Billie Jean heard about him & attended his performance and confronted him publicly. Johnny did have a son out of wedlock, but he has never portrayed himself as Jr. He has been very low key and does not use the connection for personal gain. I know him and value his friendship. I have visited Tilman's home with him, talked to Johnny's brothers, as well as Merle Kilgore. All attest to his relationship. I also have a notarized statement signed by Johnny's older brother and several other family member's verifying his relationship.
Please check with Bear Family Records, the new Johnny Horton Box Set will release 10 November 2014.. The collection contains many more songs and versions etc as well as many unseen pictures and more. A great many of the recordings, videos & pictures are from my personal collection gathered over the almost 60 years .
Jerry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Horton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Horton's recording of "I'm A Fishin' Man" (Jan '07) Oct '14 jerryhope 2
johnny horton was a nice guy and ery religous, (Jun '14) Jun '14 jean 1
News Recreation and Rockabilly on the Cane (Jun '14) Jun '14 voter 1
News Post 132 hosts concert for troops F..... (Aug '10) Aug '10 matthew 2
News Johnny Reb - Johnny Horton (Jan '10) Jan '10 Mel 1
More from around the web