Today's Battle: King from the Afterlife, Elvis or Johnny Cash

Aug 3, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Port Folio Weekly

Imagine this: in true "Devil Went Down to Georgia" style, the devil challenges you to a contest to see who can draw in a larger crowd.

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Aug 8, 2010
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

Since Elvis was a bigger draw in life

there's no reason to think he wouldn't continue to be the bigger draw
Jim Burrows

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

Incredibly, the movie "Walk the line" briefly catapulted Johnny Cash to unimaginable heights, for a person who┤d just passed away. In that year, and the one that follwed, his Cd┤s went through the roof, putting him ahead of Elvis in Sounscan sales. Not RIAA audited sales, mind you, where Elvis doubles Johnny┤s output. I┤ve heard people from all ages, the young, commenting on how fantastic Johnny Cash┤s life was, tragic in many ways, the perfect most interesting way for a person to get acquainted with the oife and work of someone who lived, and peaked decades before that person was even born. I have to admit, the poeple who produced "Walk the line" did so with tremendous respect for the subject, although Elvis┤ influence on cash, and how they toured together was regrettably put out oif context, as if he was the person responsible for Cash to take pills, on the one hand, and if Sash and Elvis had toured with Orbison and Lee Lewis. Presley only toured with Cash, separately, and with Perkins, also separate˝y, but when he did, none of the others were there, unless as spectators, as was nthe case with orbison, who travelled 500 miles once to see the 19 year old Presley. At any rate, Presley┤s life was tewice as convoluted as that of Cash, and he meant so much more while alive, than did Cash, to so many more millions of people, that by now it would impossible to dismiss Presley┤s larger role, no matter how many times he┤s seen despectuvely, in moivies about other perfromers who grew up with him. It┤s Elvis the one historians will REALLY dig deep into, not Cash.
Sweet Caroline

Cedar Rapids, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

I liked Johnny Cash & the movie that was made about his life. Elvis was more the kind of music I listened to though.

I've never understood why some have to try & pick fights about which entertainer is better . Including the comparison about Michael Jackson .
Can't everyone have their own preferences ? I always thought so. Everyone has different tastes in music & entertainers. Just enjoy them !!
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

not only that

but it used to be you were suspect if you admitting to liking more than one genre of music
gracelandgroupie

Siloam Springs, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

Judged:

Well that was silly
Sweet Caroline

Cedar Rapids, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

Judged:

nina wrote:
not only that
but it used to be you were suspect if you admitting to liking more than one genre of music
I never pay much attention to what anyone else says.
Not on things like that anyway. We're all different & entitled to our preferences in everything. The world would be very boring if we were all the same.....;}
elvispresley

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

johnny cash did country and elvis presley did rock n roll. rock n roll and country are two different musics and subjects. elvis is the king and johnny cash isnt crowned anything yet. but he probably will someday. elvis is better.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••