Sweet tunes from Yolo 'Idols' at coun...

Sweet tunes from Yolo 'Idols' at county fair

There are 16 comments on the Daily Democrat story from Aug 21, 2009, titled Sweet tunes from Yolo 'Idols' at county fair. In it, Daily Democrat reports that:

Yolo Idol First Place Winner Kayla Sheehan performs "I Dreamed A Dream." Kayla Sheehan, an 18-year-old Woodlander, took home the top spot in Thursday night's Yolo Idol contest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Democrat.

Exactly

Rocklin, CA

#1 Aug 21, 2009
This is exactly why I do not pay for the Democrat. The lady you have in the second place photo sang "Blue Bayou" by Linda Ronstadt. Two out of three is not bad!
Resident

Sacramento, CA

#2 Aug 21, 2009
They have problems every year with the sound system (CD's skipping or stopping) Maybe time to look for another sound person.
Cynical

Sacramento, CA

#3 Aug 21, 2009
Exactly wrote:
This is exactly why I do not pay for the Democrat. The lady you have in the second place photo sang "Blue Bayou" by Linda Ronstadt. Two out of three is not bad!
Blue Bayou was originally written and performed by Roy Orbison in August 1963. The best known version remains Linda Ronstadt's 1977 cover.
Exactly

Rocklin, CA

#4 Aug 21, 2009
Dear Cynical,
If you were there last night you would have heard what I heard. I am aware of who originally wrote it. Thank You
KL Resident

Woodland, CA

#5 Aug 21, 2009
Judge Dave Rosenberg hosted Yolo Idol Thursday night at the fair and said, "What's surprising to me is - we have talented people."

Why is the good Judge so suprised that there's talent in Yolo County? Has he been on the bench judging the bad guys so long that he's lost sight of the good people that are around? Unfortunately, I wasn't there, but I'm sure that aside from the winners in the Idol contest, there were several other good performers presenting Woodland & Yolo County. Come back down to earth Judge R.
unreal

Placerville, CA

#7 Aug 21, 2009
Well, regardless of who's style she emulated, Blue Bayou is by Roy Orbison, not Linda Ronstadt. I think that's all they were saying. The caption was correct -- I think that's all they were saying.
metalgod

Sacramento, CA

#8 Aug 21, 2009
hey nice picture. i could do better with my phone.
Jenny McCollum

AOL

#9 Aug 21, 2009
Why be surprised? Yolo county can have talent just like any other county. What I'm surprised at is the Judges comment ...
Cynical

Sacramento, CA

#10 Aug 21, 2009
Exactly wrote:
Dear Cynical,
I am aware of who originally wrote it. Thank You
Clearly not.
Cynical

Sacramento, CA

#11 Aug 21, 2009
Jenny McCollum wrote:
Why be surprised? Yolo county can have talent just like any other county. What I'm surprised at is the Judges comment ...
Don't be...He's another elitist pr!ck like the rest of them. What qualifies him to 'judge' talent anyway?
David

Sacramento, CA

#12 Aug 22, 2009
a) Blue Bayou was written by Joe Melson and Roy Orbison. Yes, she sang it beautifully.
b) The sound guy did the best he had w/ what he was given by the contestants just before the event. Not to ding any contestants, but as you may know, when copying a cd at home sometimes it will not play on all CD players. Problems are occuring more frequently. He in fact prepared for this possibility, had a new, top of the line player.
Importantly, changes will likely be made next year wherein the cd comes in early enough to allow testing and compiling onto a laptop or Ipod. Should go much smoother, but will require the cd submission deadline to move up slightly.
What was very impressive was how each contestant so affected handled it very professionally. Actually, hearing an acapella version of the song really allows the contestant to shine.
c) The single quote attributed to Dave Rosenberg is completely misrepresentative of what was said by him en toto last night. Too bad,'cuz he did a great job.
Yes, often he, in fact commented on how great the talent was in Yolo County. He did an excellent job, as always, and I'm sure that if you were there, you would agree. The crowd sure seemed appreciative, and we are fortunate that he volunteers for this. My guess is that those who commented nedgatively above were not present.
d) Thank you all for your input. This is really a fun event, and the most attended event at the fair. My hat goes off to all of the contestants. They were all great, and gave it their all. Made it fun for all who attended, and will be fun next year.
e) Thank you to all of the volunteer judges and other who made this happen. It really is something special for us here in Yolo COunty.
David

Sacramento, CA

#13 Aug 22, 2009
Cynical wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be...He's another elitist pr!ck like the rest of them. What qualifies him to 'judge' talent anyway?
I guess you were not there. He did not judge any talent. He volunteered his services as event m/c. The crowd seemed to really appreciate is effots. There was a panel of 7 volunteer judges.
The contestants were great and would love to have your support next year. Thank you
David

Sacramento, CA

#14 Aug 22, 2009
Exactly wrote:
Sorry but you are wrong. But thanks for reading the article.
David

Sacramento, CA

#15 Aug 22, 2009
Dear Cynical,
If you were there last night you would have heard what I heard. I am aware of who originally wrote it. Thank You
Gosh, I love it when you all are interested in this. Joe Melson and Roy Orbison wrote the song.
WooWee

Fair Oaks, CA

#16 Aug 22, 2009
"Cynical" is back in full negative form! Refill your Rx, Cynical, before you actually do some real harm.
Matthew Henderson

San Rafael, CA

#17 Aug 22, 2009
metalgod wrote:
hey nice picture. i could do better with my phone.
I'm not sure why the photos attached to this story are soft and washed out. They are definitely different than what I submitted. I apologize for that and will find and correct the problem. I strive to bring you high quality photographs every time I go out.
However, I did just send all of the Yolo Idol photographs off to be put up in our online photo gallery. They should be available along with the photos from the Bull Riding event within the next couple of days. We do not actually add them to our website here so I can't give you an exact day, sorry.
As a side note, good job to all those who participated! I was a singer and know how hard it is to get up there in front of a large crowd.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Cash Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Simpsons: From Michael Jackson to Johnny Ca... May 14 Together Great 2
News On This Day: Johnny Cash Plays at Folsom Prison (Jan '09) Mar '15 drstat2 18
Rare album??? Mar '15 JoshsDeals 1
News Photo Gallery: Kellye Cash SheppardPHOTO Galler... (Sep '14) Oct '14 ChopperBlades 3
News Slim Dusty's - Best Of' Hits Chart Milestone Do... (Sep '14) Sep '14 signs 1
News Eating artists in Southwestern Connecticut dish... (Sep '14) Sep '14 BPT 2
News What we need: More songs about Indianapolis (Jul '07) Jul '14 NEW 23
More from around the web