Dyess mayor wants town to spruce up for Cash pilgrims

There are 753 comments on the WPTY story from May 15, 2006, titled Dyess mayor wants town to spruce up for Cash pilgrims. In it, WPTY reports that:

Dyess mayor wants town to spruce up for Cash pilgrims Posted: 5/15/2006 11:23:33 AM The mayor of the rural Arkansas town of Dyess, where country performer Johnny Cash grew up, wants the town to provide more to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WPTY.

First Prev
of 38
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Hannibal

#3 Sep 14, 2007
My father was born in Lapanto but grew up in SEMO.
karen blaylock

Little Rock, AR

#6 Nov 16, 2007
I personally went to Dyess Days in 2007 and felt very blessed to be a part of it.My husband and me are not rich by no means but are hard working folks. we saved change for several months just to go to Dyess Days back in July. It felt so good to be in the town where Johnny Cash grew up, went to school at, picked cotton, swam in the river, and later in life he sang wonderful music about that place!I meet the mayor and the lady from city hall and i dont think they were trying to make any money at all. They are just trying to recognize a legand of a lifetime, a hero, and if people cant belive in that then they just need to stay off that rich black land dirt that i would love to run my feet through everyday!
sick of sims

Blytheville, AR

#7 Nov 24, 2007
LADY THIS LAND IS BLACK BUT NOT RICH.... AND YOU GO TO CITY HALL AND ASK HOW MUCH MONEY IS THERE AND SEE WHAT YOU HERE ASK TO SEE THE STATEMENTS.

THEN GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE THE SIDE STREETS IN DYESS, YOU WILL RIP THE BOTTOM OUT OF YOUR CAR. STOP AT SOMEONES HOME AND ASK FOR A DRINK OF WATER AND TASTE THAT NASTY MESS.

bUT LOOK AT THE LAWN MOWER THEY TOOK 10,000.00 DOLLARS OF ROAD MONEY AND USED TO BUY IT. IT'S SHAMEFULL.

OH AND IF YOU DON'T LIVE HERE YOU DON'T KNOW CRAP ANT ONE CAN PUT ON A SHOW. JUST LOOK AT WHAT YOU PAID 25 DOLLARS FOR L.O.L.
Matt

Springfield, MO

#10 Dec 5, 2007
I drove a long ways and visited Dyess a few months ago and loved it. Sure...the town is small and needing some money. What a good mayor will do is try to find a way to bring some money into your town in a respectable way.

Maybe it's through soccer or the world's largest digging apparatus or whatever...they need to find some kind of hook.

I even encouraged him to develop more Cash stuff as a service to people like me...Johnny Cash fans around the world, who would love to make the pilgrimage...

Anyways, I'm sure there are folks who don't like the guy (sure seemed great to me) but when the greatest entertainer in the history of the world grew up in your town, you're a fool for not taking advantage of it...he's catching on and doing so. I'm thrilled.

That being said...the link didn't work. Anyone know how to see the story??
hello

Blytheville, AR

#12 Dec 8, 2007
what story?????
d man

Monette, AR

#13 Dec 10, 2007
the only people in dyess that do anything is the fire department.larry sims does noting but spend money on larry.he took a brand new tractor that the fire dept. bought with grant money to use for city work.i hope people dont think larry is a good major,because he is in it for larry ,not the town of dyess.so think DMAN may run for mayor.DMAN for mayor!!!!!!!
d man

Monette, AR

#16 Dec 13, 2007
DMAN for mayor !!!!!!!!
B MAN

Osceola, AR

#17 Dec 15, 2007
I agree with D MAN
lived on Rd 1

AOL

#27 Jan 5, 2008
Are yall crazy? "tourists"?Disillusi oned Cash fans maybe,but not tourists.Dyess seems to be declining faster now more than ever.Johnny Cash surely grew up here but rarely returned or mentioned Dyess except for his brothers death. The old-timers I've heard speak of him all say he was a good boy but very lazy,and was something of a misfit.Genius often causes one to be a misfit,Johnny Cash shook the "rich black dirt" of dyess off his boots and didnt look back.Try Bassett. now there's a town to live in.
what ever

Manila, AR

#29 Feb 8, 2008
Dyess is in bad shape and I think we would be better off without a mayor, by the way it looks. And lived on Rd 1 one crazy too. Bassett ain't nothing. All that town tries to do is sweep its secrets under the carpet but it don't work.
A J H

Jackson, MS

#30 Feb 18, 2008
Cito Sims wrote:
Larry Sims wants to get rich off of Dyess and Johnny Cash he is a joke I wouldnt bother!
You couldn't be more wrong. Larry Sims is the hardest working public official that I ever saw. Everything he does is to make Dyess a better place to live.
A J H

Jackson, MS

#31 Feb 18, 2008
sick of sims wrote:
LADY THIS LAND IS BLACK BUT NOT RICH.... AND YOU GO TO CITY HALL AND ASK HOW MUCH MONEY IS THERE AND SEE WHAT YOU HERE ASK TO SEE THE STATEMENTS.
THEN GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE THE SIDE STREETS IN DYESS, YOU WILL RIP THE BOTTOM OUT OF YOUR CAR. STOP AT SOMEONES HOME AND ASK FOR A DRINK OF WATER AND TASTE THAT NASTY MESS.
bUT LOOK AT THE LAWN MOWER THEY TOOK 10,000.00 DOLLARS OF ROAD MONEY AND USED TO BUY IT. IT'S SHAMEFULL.
OH AND IF YOU DON'T LIVE HERE YOU DON'T KNOW CRAP ANT ONE CAN PUT ON A SHOW. JUST LOOK AT WHAT YOU PAID 25 DOLLARS FOR L.O.L.
The people from Dyess are lucky to have such a good mayor. It is sickening that people would treat such a hard working dedicated man like this trying to get elected in Dyess. The city of Dyess stands to gain from the Dyess/Johnnie Cash Memorial. The town now owns the Administration building which was purchased by one donation from Gene Williams. Many people have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours trying to reserect the city.
nancy

Jackson, MS

#32 Feb 18, 2008
sick of sims wrote:
Where did you go to school to spell like this?
John Doe

Memphis, TN

#33 Feb 19, 2008
If I have learned one thing in my many years as a government employee and leader, it is this: You can never blame only one person for the symptoms of a problem! It takes more than one person to wreck things and it takes more than one to fix things. If you have ANY intelligence at all. Ask the state to appoint a special investigator from Little Rock to look into any mishandling of funds. I would look at the treasurer and all that have contact with city assets. And don't blame a dead country music legend for any of your problems! Take personal responsibility for your life each and every day!
Rock Crawler

Blytheville, AR

#34 Feb 26, 2008
John Doe wrote:
If I have learned one thing in my many years as a government employee and leader, it is this: You can never blame only one person for the symptoms of a problem! It takes more than one person to wreck things and it takes more than one to fix things. If you have ANY intelligence at all. Ask the state to appoint a special investigator from Little Rock to look into any mishandling of funds. I would look at the treasurer and all that have contact with city
assets. And don't blame a dead country music legend for any of your problems! Take personal responsibility for your life each and every day!
It's the mayor's fixation on Johnny Cash thats causing townfolk to rise up. Every penny thats generated he tries to figure a way to use it for his own agenda (aka) Johnny Cash Memorial and hes not so much trying to make soomething of the town .He's trying to profit from it because he and his brother have tried to buy all the property in the town. He's done nothing since being in office other than follow up on the things maxey had started and now he tries to claim those as his accomplishments.
He needs to resign and leave town. and take the rest of his croonies with him....
Rock Crawler

Blytheville, AR

#35 Feb 26, 2008
A J H wrote:
<quoted text>
The people from Dyess are lucky to have such a good mayor. It is sickening that people would treat such a hard working dedicated man like this trying to get elected in Dyess. The city of Dyess stands to gain from the Dyess/Johnnie Cash Memorial. The town now owns the Administration building which was purchased by one donation from Gene Williams. Many people have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours trying to reserect the city.
Aj thats a suck ass commit if i ever heard one. Isn't bad enough that you run in and out of town like a ghost. You know what you used to be and what you are now are not the same. you don't live here and you don't have any idea of what it's like to put up with Sims Silly Sh7T on a daily basis.
Butt out..........

United States

#36 Feb 27, 2008
I've got news for you the Sims family has lived in the Dyess area for over 40 years now and they are not leaving. If you want a change so bad why don't you leave?

United States

#37 Feb 27, 2008
Another thing Larry and Ricky owned property in Dyess long before Larry became mayor or Ricky was elected to city counsel so stop trying to start crap saying they are buying property because of the Johnny Cash museum so they can make money. If that was happening don't you think other people would be doing the same thing. And for the person posting under the name cito sims you need to stop because he would not say those things about his family.

United States

#39 Feb 28, 2008
Rock Crawler wrote:
Guest if you aint here every day THEN SHUT THE HELL UP You have no idea what the citizens of Dyess put up with and the crap THE SIMS FAMILY of which you must be from. So you don't have any NEWS for anyone.
WE WILL RISE UP LIKE A GIANT WAVE AND WASH THE TOWN CLEAN OF THE UUNWANTED SIMS FAMILY.....
You need to crawl back under your rock and shut up! Yes I am family and I don't care if you don't like Larry and Ricky, but my grandma was a wonderful woman who had 13 children and they have not done anything to you. If you want to hate on Larry and Ricky that's your right, but don't include the whole Sims family because there are many more of us who have not done anything to your or your precious town.
BLOOD RED VAN

Blytheville, AR

#40 Feb 28, 2008
guest why dont you shut the F*CK up and get a life. You prolly dont live anywhere near dyess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 38
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Cash Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Simpsons: From Michael Jackson to Johnny Ca... May 14 Together Great 2
News On This Day: Johnny Cash Plays at Folsom Prison (Jan '09) Mar '15 drstat2 18
Rare album??? Mar '15 JoshsDeals 1
News Photo Gallery: Kellye Cash SheppardPHOTO Galler... (Sep '14) Oct '14 ChopperBlades 3
News Slim Dusty's - Best Of' Hits Chart Milestone Do... (Sep '14) Sep '14 signs 1
News Eating artists in Southwestern Connecticut dish... (Sep '14) Sep '14 BPT 2
News What we need: More songs about Indianapolis (Jul '07) Jul '14 NEW 23
More from around the web