Urban on top

Urban on top

There are 19 comments on the The Age story from Jan 1, 2007, titled Urban on top. In it, The Age reports that:

Troubled country crooner Keith Urban has cruised into 2007 in the number one spot - his eighth week on top of the chart.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Age.

Since: Dec 06

Hendra, Australia

#1 Jan 1, 2007
GOOD ON YOU KEITH URBAN AND THANK GOODNESS FOR THE MELBOURNE AGE NEWSPAPER WHO SEEMS TO BE FLYING KEITH'S FLAG OF SUCCESS THAT IS SO VERY MUCH DESERVED ...

IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY AND MEDIA HYPE IT IS SO REWARDING TO SEE POSITIVITY AND REWARD TAKE PRIDE OF PLACE, NOT WITHSTANDING KEITH URBAN ENDURING LIFE AND CAREER DIFFICULTIES TO STILL BE APPLAUDED FOR RIDING THE WAVE OF SUCCESS ...

KEITH URBAN YOUR OUR "ONCE IN A LIFETIME COUNTRY MUSIC MAN" AND AUSTRALIA SHOULD BE PROUD ...

COLLEEN ...
PS: The Melbourne Age "rocks" in Aussie news ...
Jen

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Jan 2, 2007
First of all he isn't country in the least and I am ashamed that you call his music country its not.
Next there is nothing to be proud of, he is a druggie and cheater.

Hendra, Australia

#3 Jan 2, 2007
Jen wrote:
First of all he isn't country in the least and I am ashamed that you call his music country its not.
BUT JEN YOU ARE APPARENTLY WRONG, BECAUSE COUNTRY MUSIC WHICH IS VERY DIVERSE, IS THE CATEGORY THE MUSIC INDUSTRY WORLD-WIDE EXCEPT KEITH IS AND THAT MEANS HE MUST FIT THE BILL, EVEN IF IT ISN'T QUITE YOUR BILL ...

WHY ARE YOU ASHAMED ABOUT MY OPINION ... YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME OR KEITH ...

JEN, NEXT TIME YOUR LIFE IS IN A FIX OR YOU MAKE A WRONG MOVE CAN YOU LET ME KNOW ... SO I CAN KICK YOUR ARSE HARDER THEN YOUR KICKING KEITH'S ...

OR WOULD YOU RATHER THAT I LET YOU LEAN ON ME WHEN YOU'RE NOT STRONG ... KEITH HOPEFULLY HAS MORE FRIEND'S THEN ME TO LEAN ON ... GOD BLESS THEM ...

CHEERS FROM DOWNUNDER JEN ...
Stacey

Scottsdale, AZ

#4 Jan 2, 2007
COLLEEN THRUPP wrote:
GOOD ON YOU KEITH URBAN AND THANK GOODNESS FOR THE MELBOURNE AGE NEWSPAPER WHO SEEMS TO BE FLYING KEITH'S FLAG OF SUCCESS THAT IS SO VERY MUCH DESERVED ...
IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY AND MEDIA HYPE IT IS SO REWARDING TO SEE POSITIVITY AND REWARD TAKE PRIDE OF PLACE, NOT WITHSTANDING KEITH URBAN ENDURING LIFE AND CAREER DIFFICULTIES TO STILL BE APPLAUDED FOR RIDING THE WAVE OF SUCCESS ...
KEITH URBAN YOUR OUR "ONCE IN A LIFETIME COUNTRY MUSIC MAN" AND AUSTRALIA SHOULD BE PROUD ...
COLLEEN ...
Hey Colleen, I hope you are doing well. How is your weather this time of year?
Hope S

Heath Springs, SC

#5 Jan 2, 2007
COLLEEN THRUPP wrote:
COLLEEN ...
I definitely agree... you put it so well, Colleen!
So glad to hear the good and positive news... He is well deserving of it!!! Even through his present obstacles and difficulties, his talent shines through, true blue!!
Shine On Keith Urban!

Hope S.
jen37876

Pigeon Forge, TN

#6 Jan 2, 2007
Hope S wrote:
<quoted text>
I definitely agree... you put it so well, Colleen!
So glad to hear the good and positive news... He is well deserving of it!!! Even through his present obstacles and difficulties, his talent shines through, true blue!!
Shine On Keith Urban!
Hope S.
I agree with both of you. It's so rare these days for a "celebrity" to come out and say they have a problem and they're working on it instead of saying they're exhausted or they fell asleep instead of passing out! We all know how rare it is for a celebrity couple to stick together through good times and bad, but this is one couple I'm hoping will make it through. I know you're proud they're both Aussies, Colleen!

Waterdown, Ontario

#7 Jan 2, 2007
Well I am just going to ignore the first Jen, but Jen37876 glad to see a forum mate so positive. If they were all like you then it would be wonderful. We all trip and fall and one would hope that their true friends will be there to help them thru the tough times. Yes he is a druggie and has admitted it, without blaming the industry or any one else. He has taken full responsibility for his action's and is doing what he can to get himself better....now how is that wrong or bad? We know it not, but some forum commentators should look in the mirror to make sure that they are
perfect before they flap off.
All the best Jen37876-you gotta change the name, I have a hard time typing number's:) LOL!
Tammy D.
jen37876

Pigeon Forge, TN

#8 Jan 2, 2007
Tammy D wrote:
Well I am just going to ignore the first Jen, but Jen37876 glad to see a forum mate so positive. If they were all like you then it would be wonderful. We all trip and fall and one would hope that their true friends will be there to help them thru the tough times. Yes he is a druggie and has admitted it, without blaming the industry or any one else. He has taken full responsibility for his action's and is doing what he can to get himself better....now how is that wrong or bad? We know it not, but some forum commentators should look in the mirror to make sure that they are
perfect before they flap off.
All the best Jen37876-you gotta change the name, I have a hard time typing number's:) LOL!
Tammy D.
LOL! You're totally right--it's my zip code & I just use the same user name everywhere so I don't have to remember a million of them!! Nobody's perfect; celebrities do have the disadvantage (and sometimes the advantage) of being in the public spotlight while they're living their lives. We don't know the whole story (and frankly, I don't want to). But I think they should be left alone to work everything out. I live 3 hours from Nashville and I've been there a few times, but not to celeb-watch. It's a fun place to party!

Murrumba, Australia

#9 Jan 2, 2007
Stacey wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Colleen, I hope you are doing well. How is your weather this time of year?
Hi Stacey,

I'm doing fine and thank you for asking ...

Australia has experienced severe drought conditions over the last five years and Christmas time the southern states experienced horrendous bush fire conditions ...

Alas, the rain has arrived, we believe but we do need so much more to fill our water supplies ... Limited water use is in operation in many towns and cities, some having no access to local water supply ...

Western Australia will have the first cyclone of the summer cross the coast in the next 24 hours but the rain is needed ... As I hear a pitter patter of raindrops on my roof as I'm posting ... Getting heavier ...

Cheers ... Colleen

Murrumba, Australia

#10 Jan 2, 2007
Hi, Hope, Jen37876 and Tammy,

I was checking out the media hype on Nicole and Keith yesterday and when looking at the Melbourne Age they did give a small mention about the photographer story BUT more importantly they put a BIG mention in about Keith being at the top of the Australia Country Music charts ... More importantly it wasn't the first mention in THE AGE about Keith and his successes ...

Love, Pain and the whole crazy thing #1 x 8 weeks
Be Here #3 and in the top 20 for over 2 years

THAT'S TOPS!!

Colleen ...
PS: Keith will NOT be up for any awards at the Australian Country Music Awards either ... Some loophole that doesn't put Keith in the mix and THE AGE has also put a mention of that issue early in 2006 ...

THAT'S THE TYPE OF SUPPORT KEITH NEEDS ...
Rita from Tennessee

AOL

#11 Jan 2, 2007
jen37876 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! You're totally right--it's my zip code & I just use the same user name everywhere so I don't have to remember a million of them!! Nobody's perfect; celebrities do have the disadvantage (and sometimes the advantage) of being in the public spotlight while they're living their lives. We don't know the whole story (and frankly, I don't want to). But I think they should be left alone to work everything out. I live 3 hours from Nashville and I've been there a few times, but not to celeb-watch. It's a fun place to party!
Absolutely, Jen! We go down Broadway and 2nd about once every 2 mo.! Love that city! In fact, planning to go sometime this month - it will be a little cold to 'hop', but just might do like last time--stopped in 'The Stage'and never made it any further! Rita

Waterdown, Ontario

#12 Jan 2, 2007
Colleen,
You have to be kidding me...he is not up for any awards seriously. My god they should have him up for everything. Look at what he has accomplished, on the billboard with 2 albums with one being there for 2 years. Why is he not up for anything and what does the age thing mean? Curious Tam:)

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Jan 2, 2007
Jen wrote:
I consider him country.He is one of the main reasons I listen to country music.But country or not no one puts on a live show like Keith Urban.I've never seen anyone who played guitar like he does.He has such an amazing voice he could sing the phone book and I would line up to buy it.He's in rehab working on his problems so I don't consider him a druggie.I don't know if the Amanda Wyatt story is true or not,nor do I care
jen37876

AOL

#14 Jan 2, 2007
Rita from Tennessee wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely, Jen! We go down Broadway and 2nd about once every 2 mo.! Love that city! In fact, planning to go sometime this month - it will be a little cold to 'hop', but just might do like last time--stopped in 'The Stage'and never made it any further! Rita
I definitely want to go back soon. We went to the BB King Blues bar & it was so fun! Tootsie's Orchid Lounge is always fun of course. It just reminds me of New Orleans, where I used to go all the time when I lived in Mississippi!

Hendra, Australia

#15 Jan 2, 2007
Tammy D wrote:
Colleen,
You have to be kidding me...he is not up for any awards seriously. My god they should have him up for everything. Look at what he has accomplished, on the billboard with 2 albums with one being there for 2 years. Why is he not up for anything and what does the age thing mean? Curious Tam:)
Seriously Tam ... I have been begging to differ for three years and have enquired with the the aussie association only to be informed it's because Keith is not an independant recording artist and therefore is ineligable ... But hey, he is usually at the top of the ARIA's (aussie music awards) in the country music category and at times even makes his mark in on the singles and cd pop charts ...

It erks me so much, because although we do have some tremendous talent in country music, pop and rock Australia none have that special something they could take and SHINE on the world stage that Keith Urban has achieved so well ... That's recognised ...

There has always been a story of intreague surrounding Keith Urban leaving Australia to dip his toes in the American Country Music scene ... The same mystery seems to exist as to why many of our local country artists have never taken a leaf out of Keith book, because he is always the first to support them if they so need ...

Keith is very good friends with the majority of our artists and he has always been thankful for the learning experience he was given with our greatest ... Slim Dusty ...

The most astounding thing about Keith Urban and also the very best part of he himself as a human being is that he has never complained or shown malice toward anyone who has shared his life personally or professionally ... He probably has had good reason too and sometimes that's an honourable trait and sometimes holding it in can tear you down ...

We aussies have already seen the Slim Dusty Movie and Slim didn't dip his toes into anything too often ... So when they finally make the movie about the Keith Urban Legend it will have us sitting in our seats wondering how we misunderstood the man and his music ...

Regards mate ... Colleen xo
PS: If you check the photo gallary at www.keithurbanmates.net they do have a section on Keith's achievements being recognised at Tamworth including his awards and Elvis like clothes ...

Waterdown, Ontario

#16 Jan 2, 2007
So the bottom line then really that he left Aussie and went to America? Like you said, he is all over the world and Australia should embrace him and name a street after him. That is what we do here in Canada and they too go to the States. One day they will regret it and try to make amends. Look at Shania Twain, she really has never been accepted in Nashville, but she doesn't care...look at her record sales!
Unreal eh?
The confused Tam today:)
P.S. Do I need to make a call to Aussie land to tell them to smarten up?:)

Hendra, Australia

#17 Jan 2, 2007
Tammy D wrote:
So the bottom line then really that he left Aussie and went to America? Like you said, he is all over the world and Australia should embrace him and name a street after him. That is what we do here in Canada and they too go to the States. One day they will regret it and try to make amends. Look at Shania Twain, she really has never been accepted in Nashville, but she doesn't care...look at her record sales!
Unreal eh?
The confused Tam today:)
P.S. Do I need to make a call to Aussie land to tell them to smarten up?:)
Tammy,

On our news last week ... They have decided to change the name of the street that passes via Australia Zoo in memory of Steve Irwin to Steve Irwin Drive ...

I'm not sure who they have named the streets in Tamworth after ... Tamworth is a few hundred kilometres inland from Sydney and a few more hundred kilometres north than that ... In the middle of no where, but quite beautiful country and you can't help but notice the gigantic guitar ... January 26 is when they have the CMA's ...

GET THE PICTURE ...

The Country Music Association in Australia is "SO STUCK" my letter to John Williamson (you'll find him in the country music charts and he is the President of the CMA), asked him to unweld the boundaries on the policies to bring Australian Country Music into the 21st Century ...

Every other CMA in the world recognises all country music artists, even if they have seperate categories ... But I believe the aussie CMA just want to be their own assocition and reward their own ... Possibly what stuck in the gut of Keith Urban because when you get your reward you don't feel you're true potential has shone through because you haven't matched it with the best ...

Cheers Tam ... Colleen
PS: I believe someone is inducted into the Hall of Fame when they have reached 20 notable years in the business ... NOT LONG NOW KEITH ...

Hendra, Australia

#18 Jan 2, 2007
I'm back Tammy,

Can I suggest that you do a search for:-

keithurbanmates.net ... go into the site ... There's KU in front of the Opera House ... Take your eyes of Keith for a minute if you can and go further down the page until you find the sparkling koala ... Pretty isn't he? Click on the koala and you will find yourself on the site ... Go across page until you find PICTURES ... click ... It is very comprehensive but look for something to do with Tamworth ...

Search The CMA site:- http://www.country.com.au

The first thing you'll notice is that Keith Urban's handsome dial DOES NOT grace the header ...

Down the left hand side click on Finalists 2007 ... It's final, Keithy Urban is not one of the CMA's 2007 Finalists ...

If you also go to Achiever Finalist, below you will find 2006 Finalists ... You guessed it ...

NO SURPRISE ... KEITH JUST ISN'T AN ACHIEVER ACCORDING TO OUR COUNTRY MUSIC ASSOCIATION ...

So what would the rest of the world know??

See Ya later sweet ... Colleen
PS: But remember rules are rules ...
John

Toronto, Canada

#19 Nov 10, 2010
... Most of the people who make these decisions grow up in cities and don't know what really happens in rural parts of the country ...

Read more:

http://www.topix.com/world/canada/2010/11/tor...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Cash Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Human Race Apr '16 Lucy Jane 2
News Flamboyant, eccentric Willard Blevins dies (Jul '14) Apr '16 Cchurch 40
News On This Day: Johnny Cash Plays at Folsom Prison (Jan '09) Jan '16 Ryan Riders 23
News Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash's Life Together D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 BIG bad John 1
News Flashback: See Linda Ronstadt's Heartbreaking D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 orangeman7754 1
News The Simpsons: From Michael Jackson to Johnny Ca... (May '15) May '15 Together Great 2
Rare album??? (Mar '15) Mar '15 JoshsDeals 1
More from around the web