Return of the Western Flyer: Vessel in historic Steinbeck-Ricketts ...

The historic vessel that carried author John Steinbeck and marine biologist Ed "Doc" Ricketts on the six-week voyage that inspired Steinbeck's "The Log from the Sea of Cortez" is moored nowadays in a Puget Sound harbor in a state of disrepair. Full Story
pg observer

Pebble Beach, CA

#1 Sep 21, 2010
I remember all the same plans from about 15 years ago. I still have the publicity packet from that attempt.

Don't we already have a Maritime Museum in Monterey? Why are thay working so hard to turn that into something else, while this plan is being dragged out again?

Can't the folks at the Maritime Museum focus on what they were created to interpret & team up with this Western Flyer group? It seems so counter productive to have both of these plans spinning around & going in seperate directions when it makes much more sense to combine enegy.

They may have to get rid of that new director at the museum, if that's possible now that the cultural junta has taken place.

Viva la Revolution!
Bear Witness

Salinas, CA

#2 Sep 21, 2010
It is a wonder that Ricketts and Steinbeck survived this insane alcohol-fueled voyage of debauchery in the first place. They were a well-known two-man wrecking crew, and did great damage to lives and property with no consideration for the consequences. Their plans for a subsequent swath of destruction in the Pacific Northwest were mercifully thwarted by Ricketts' death in a train collision as he drove blind drunk across the railroad tracks where they crossed Drake Avenue. Do the next generation a favor and stop re-writing California History to make it read like a Disney movie.
Miss_Priss

Monterey, CA

#3 Sep 21, 2010
Can you check the westernflyerproject.org URL. It doesn't appear to exist. Maybe the site isn't up yet? I should very much like to attend the dinner and get involved. This boat will be a terrific addition to Monterey and a real treasure!
Stitches

Fiddletown, CA

#4 Sep 22, 2010
Wildly independent wrecking crew... sounds like 1940's Free Spirits to me. I don't think sanitizing our history is the issue, think of the minds that broadened their political/social views due to the writings of Steinbeck, he helped our world be bigger, deeper, more colourful, albeit at 90 proof. Just don't know what Danny and The Boys would think of spending funds on a Library, Museum and Vessel rehab in his name... What Would Doc Do? Sheesh, Beer Milkshake time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Steinbeck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gill's Tavern in Cliffside Park still open for ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Jose luis rodriguez 1
Steinbeck returns to The Western Stage (Jun '12) Jun '12 Mexican banger ta... 1
4: Sheriff: There are plenty of jobs for US cit... (Aug '11) Aug '11 libertarian4321 6
John Steinbeck Heirs Lose Bid for Supreme Court... (Jun '11) Jun '11 RayOne 3
East of Eden book binding (Jun '11) Jun '11 Dave Farley 1
Chasing Charley, by Michael Lauterborn (Mar '10) May '11 Jessica Juarez 3
Opening Nights: Of Mice and Men (Apr '11) Apr '11 Kelly 1
More from around the web