John Prine concert review: Well-worn ...

John Prine concert review: Well-worn singer, songs aging well | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 13 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 23, 2010, titled John Prine concert review: Well-worn singer, songs aging well | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

John Prine didn't talk all that much last night during a sweet and moving two-hour set in the Palace Theatre.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Hankus

Troy, OH

#1 Oct 24, 2010
Excellent concise review of John Prine show at the Palace. Prine is simply the best and has been for nearly 40 years. Great to hear the really old songs from his first album still done with such skill and feeling.
nashvegas

Mount Vernon, OH

#2 Oct 24, 2010
Another excellent show from Mr.Prine. Sara Watkins was excellent and her set was too short.
Jamie

Hopkinsville, KY

#3 Oct 24, 2010
Absoultely more than I had expected!!! I have only recently become a John Prine fan (over the past 2 years or so), and feared that I may have missed his best years as a Live performer. Thank goodness I was mistaken! Great show. His voice sounds more sincere than I ever expected. I had goosebumps at times, tears welling up at times, and laughter at times. What a songwriter and storyteller! Outstanding!!! What a great gift for my 40th birthday...thanks to my beautiful wife!
Jeff Fishback

Columbus, OH

#4 Oct 25, 2010
Gritty and riveting show- moving delicate guitar picking and thunderous strumming. Vocals were superb and remind me some of Johnny Cash last works-where raw age sounds grizzled yet full of charachter. Forgetting the words to Space Monkey and coming back to it to prove he's human but not senile was a priceless moment- wonderful show- one for the Bottomless Lake.
IllegalSmile

Columbus, OH

#5 Oct 25, 2010
If you are a Sara Watkins fan, her solo CD is great. If you were a fan of her set last night, and of her brother, who played with her, check out any of the CDs by Nickel Creek. Sara and Sean are 2/3 of Nickel Creek.
Peter B

Vacaville, CA

#6 Oct 25, 2010
What a insightful write up!
I personally believe John Prine to be one of the greatest poets of our century, second only to Bob Dylan!
Jeff Fishback

Columbus, OH

#7 Oct 25, 2010
Peter B- you said it- one of the greatest poets....

And old rivers grow wilder ev'ry day.
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello."

Me and Loretta, we don't talk much more,
She sits and stares through the back door screen.
And all the news just repeats itself
Like some forgotten dream that we've both seen.

So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello."
ritter gibson

United States

#8 Oct 25, 2010
would loved to have been there . we saw him in roanoke va.15 years ago, & we really enjoyed it
ritter gibson

United States

#9 Oct 25, 2010
we saw john in concert in roanoke va.15 yrs.ago.we loved him then, as we love him today.thank you for the best yrs. of our lives.
Brian

Branchland, WV

#10 Oct 25, 2010
I was blessed to be at the Palace to see Prine at his best. I have seen John Prine nearly 20 times and it only gets better each time. It was truly Paradise!
Kathy Sseibel

United States

#11 Oct 26, 2010
I was there John was unbeleivably entertaining. It is so obvouis he loves his music as the whold crowd did. It was magical !
Diane

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Oct 26, 2010
It was a WONDERFUL concert!
Dave

Columbus, OH

#13 Oct 27, 2010
One of the best concerts I've ever seen. John Prine is a treasure, we are so lucky to be living in a time when we have artists like this. He's the real deal, not another superficial insincere pop star.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Prine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
john prine (Apr '15) Apr '15 Lyle 1
News MEEK: Two stompin' Toms and free speech in Canada (Mar '13) Mar '13 Ted 1
News Rock Flashback: John Prine Turns 65 (Nov '11) Nov '11 Hello in There 2
John Prine, the world's most undertated musician (Aug '09) Aug '09 aaarg 1
News Here Now: Southport concert helps Amuzu Theater (Mar '09) Mar '09 John M 1
News Prine proves a master of detail (Feb '08) Feb '08 jeff 1
louisville (Sep '07) Sep '07 illlegalsmile 2
More from around the web