The disappearing bumper sticker

There are 122 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 22, 2008, titled The disappearing bumper sticker. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

With the presidential race going at full tilt, references to John McCain and Barack Obama are everywhere - except on the bumpers of most cars.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
JAN

New Port Richey, FL

#1 Oct 22, 2008
Here in Tampa Bay there are not a lot of bumper stickers either, and we a swing state. My bumper has an Obama magnet, I am still afraid someone might steal it.

Obama '08

Go Rays!!
Hari

Glenwood, IL

#2 Oct 22, 2008
Notice how the sticker is a message for liberals, but an agenda for conservatives. It's a bit more subtle than usual, but still connotations like that are still considered bias.
ScottM

United States

#3 Oct 22, 2008
I suspect its because individuals no longer keep their cars as long as they used to.

We didn't add a bumper sticker to our Volvo station wagon until it hit 150 thousand miles.
Duja

United States

#4 Oct 22, 2008
Great representive sample. In the loop and on the lakefront?. At these locations, you're more likely to find nicer cars owned by people who make more money and don't want to trash up their nicer car. This article is not newsworthy in the first place, but at least do it correctly.
Just a thought

Park Ridge, IL

#6 Oct 22, 2008
A lot of people don't own their cars anymore, they lease them. Bumper stickers most likely cause damage that must be paid at the end of the lease.

And, what's with the political slant of this article? Was that really necessary?
Hussein

United States

#7 Oct 22, 2008
Here in the heart of 'red' Florida, I have mounted my Obama stickers on magnets. They won't damage the paint on my 26 year old Mercedes and I can put them in the trunk when I park to avoid vandalism.
shaft

Peoria, IL

#8 Oct 22, 2008
It's a good thing.

I don't care if you hate abortion, where your kid plays soccer, that you've been to Wal drug, you like Obama, you'll flick a booger on my windshield, you watch the Packers, you dig Che, you listen to La Ley, you've voted for W, you think conservatives are dumb, you went to Northwestern, or that your car's threat to the increasing levels of CO2 have been neutralized because you bought a tree....

If you have so much to tell me, why don't you start by figuring out how to use a turn signal first!?!?!?! That information is actually useful to me....

so hang up the phone and drive!
Hmm

South Elgin, IL

#9 Oct 22, 2008
Seriously, why did someone even bother to waste their time writing this story? The story itself says sales are down, but it doesn't know why, so it just speculates on possible reasons. So, essentially the the story tells us nothing and is just guessword. Did someone have a deadline and needed to just fill some space to meet their quota?

“Blinded By The Right”

Since: Aug 07

Long Island Sound

#10 Oct 22, 2008
I remember there used to be some bumper stickers that you saw everywhere.

THIS CAR CLIMBED MT WASHINGTON

SOUTH OF THE BORDER

ITHACA IS GORGES

GRAND CANYON

FLORIDA- THE SUNSHINE STATE

THE MORAL MAJORITY IS NEITHER

“things that make you go "hmmmm”

Since: May 08

Chicago Heights, IL

#11 Oct 22, 2008
I don't know, I kind of like the story. But then, I like bumper stickers. They are very useful for facebooking. ;-)

I haven't noticed as many political bumper stickers this year as in past years, though. That's for sure. I do think it has something to do with people not being as tolerant of other people's views.

shaft.......you have an excellent point about useless information. I don't care if your kid can beat up my honor student, mean people suck or much else. But I have a "start seeng motorcycles" (although I don't mean those little plastic jobs that whip past me on the expressway @100mph) bumper sticker and a flag of Cymru. Um.....yeah, hang up and drive and stop texting and get out of the middle of the street or you'll be in a lot worse place than on my bumper!
MWeb

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Oct 22, 2008
Most of the bumper stickers I see these days are sported by conservatives who seem to feel a need to announce their beliefs to the world. Good for you if you don't believe in abortion or you're awaiting the rapture...the rest of us just don't care.
Sarah

United States

#13 Oct 22, 2008
Bumper stickers make your car look like junk.

I've seen new, expensive cars with bumper stickers. Why on earth would you do that???
Fred

Bensenville, IL

#14 Oct 22, 2008
Hussein wrote:
Here in the heart of 'red' Florida, I have mounted my Obama stickers on magnets. They won't damage the paint on my 26 year old Mercedes and I can put them in the trunk when I park to avoid vandalism.
Yeah, I'd be ashamed and hide Obama stuff in the trunk, too.

Then again, if someone stole it, it would only be a good thing.
Sarah

United States

#15 Oct 22, 2008
No one cares if your kid is an honor student or where you go to college!

Why would you want to try to impress strangers driving by anyway???

“things that make you go "hmmmm”

Since: May 08

Chicago Heights, IL

#16 Oct 22, 2008
Sarah wrote:
Bumper stickers make your car look like junk.
I've seen new, expensive cars with bumper stickers. Why on earth would you do that???
Sarah.....I got my car for free! What else would hold it together other than bumper stickers?!

“FUBO!”

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#17 Oct 22, 2008
Wow - an article about disappearing bumper stickers. Some hard-hitting journalism there Tribune. Kudos.
Joe the Dishwasher

Lafayette, IN

#18 Oct 22, 2008
Expressing your political opinion with a bumper sticker can get your car vandalized. Tempers are flaring. Why take a chance, no matter the age of your jalopy. Speak with your vote, that is as demonstrative as anyone needs to be.
Sarah R

Jersey City, NJ

#19 Oct 22, 2008
someone keyed my car last time I displayed a sticker. so much for tolerance! no more stickers for me.
Homer Ballard

Machesney Park, IL

#20 Oct 22, 2008
The number of bumper stickers on a persons car is inversely proportionate to their IQ!!!!!
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#21 Oct 22, 2008
Hussein wrote:
You win the "SPOOF POST" of the week award. If you hadn't gone overboard with a name of "Hussein" it might have passed the REALITY test and not been flagged as just a post to stir up people!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John McCain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Homer 1,231,771
News Bristol Palin to marry U.S. Medal of Honor winn... 3 hr Tazo 1,201
News John McCain calls Jade Helm 15 hysteria - bizarre' Wed Jay R 141
News Palin: wrong woman, wrong message - Steinem (Sep '08) May 19 Tazo 24,135
News Shut Out: New Host George Stephanopoulos Hogs G... (Jan '10) May 19 Chris America 20
News McCain & other top officials accused of illegal... May 16 FASCIST Ukraine 26
News The View's Nicolle WallaceAdmits to Experiencin... May 15 Tazo 1
More from around the web