Couple's 'buy black' experiment becom...

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement

There are 3 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 12, 2009, titled Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It's been two months since 2-year-old Cori pulled the gold stud from her left earlobe, and the piercing is threatening to close as her mother, Maggie Anderson, hunts for a replacement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Da Mayor

Fountain Hills, AZ

#1 May 13, 2009
Racist double standard. Time to buy only from White stores. Racism is still alive and well with these idiots. Here are the examples: Black Caucas, Balck Student Union, Black Miss America, etc. Replace Black with White and all Hell would be released. When people are trying to live in a color blind world these jackasses and the AP try to spin this as some great experiment.
Mark

Rolling Meadows, IL

#2 May 13, 2009
Wow! Racism at its finest!
All this is going to do is reverse their stupid experiment and prevent white people from buying anything black. Morons. They will fail those racist pieces of trash.
open your eyes

Wilton, CT

#3 May 13, 2009
I don’t see how this is helping anybody. This is definitely racist; were there evidence showing there is a severe difference in customer base based solely on race, all other variables equal, then this would make some sense. Otherwise, this is just as racist as Nazis refusing to shop in Jewish-owned stores and racist whites refusing to shop at black-owned stores. There’s no reason for them to be doing this. I read the article in the Chicago Tribune, specifically stating the couple driving distances of 12-18 miles just for grocery shopping. This is definitely /not/ community support, then. If they wanted to truly support their community, they would shop within their community.
I understand the concept of a nationwide African-American community, but taking action like this against other communities is shameful. Be proud of your roots, but don’t try to promote them above others. I think if there’s anything we should have learned from the prejudices in the past, it’s that no one race is superior to another and should not be promoted as such.
People making consumer sacrifices for real causes like fair trade, organic products, morally conscious meat products, small business support and local business support are commendable. There just isn’t a reason here for them to be going out of their way to support one race over another. They’re just boycotting businesses owned by other races simply because they’re owned by other races. Specifically boycotting a business based solely on race should be exactly what they’re against, right?
This isn’t “reverse racism.” This /is/ racism.
I’m just glad the country didn’t follow their example on Election Day, if every white person in the country were to vote for McCain solely on race, Obama would not have won.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Anderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City's Sculpt EVV show puts sculpture in the ne... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Downtowner 2
News Gov. Rick Scott’s will shed outsider at Re... (Aug '12) Aug '12 MAID IN AMERICA 1
News In Short: June 21-27, 2012 (Jun '12) Jun '12 cfsgf 1
News About Town: Stoughton Selectmen Approve Contrac... (Mar '12) Apr '12 Doink 32
News B.C. government confirms it will strike working... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Ray 1
News Turning back the pages - Fruit soup (Nov '10) Nov '10 immense salmon run 1
News I'm Just An Old ... - John Ander... (Aug '10) Aug '10 newimwell 1
More from around the web