Robertson, Marsalis, CSO meet complex challenges

Full story: Chicago Tribune

We look to David Robertson to make symphonic programs that challenge as well as entertain, and the conductor's concert with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Friday at Orchestra Hall adhered to tradition.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Brandon B

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

John, while I was amazed by the quality of the program I can't agree on the quality of the performances. Marsailles' sound was too hidden when he was in the orchestra for the Debussy, and he seemed very awkward with the Copland, and couple times I thought it was falling apart. Multiple flubs by the sax when it was in the high and low ranges, and the ending was mostly destroyed--it just seemed the instrument wasn't willing to cooperate. The Adams is an all time favorite, but here it was underrehearsed and choppy; I love that they played it but it could have used more work. Hooray for the program, however, can't we do this more often?(new and challenging programs).
Ken Herman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2007

I found Robertson and the CSO a great match--he has a fantastic, vibrant conducting technique, and the orchestra gives him just what he wants. So why isn't he Music Director?
The Adams piece was indeed thrilling to hear. The San Francisco Symphony plays Adams all the time--they recently offered his concert opera "Flowering Tree." Adams is hardly the only "kid" on the compositional block, but Chicagoans should be more up to speed on this guy. It took 2 decades to program "Harmonielehre"!
Pablo

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

Another perfect performance by the CSO?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent John Adams Discussions

Search the John Adams Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Southwest Atlanta Celebrates July 4th with Fire... (Jul '11) Jul '12 Tyrone 2
Civility does not justify censorship (Jan '11) Jan '11 John in Sunderland 6
Philharmonic at Carnegie: What a Difference a H... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Ho Lee Schitt 1
Maestro, cellist set the gold standard | The Co... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Mike 3
Tim Grobaty: Let these tunes worm their way int... (Sep '09) Sep '09 bjh 3
July Jamz opener pays tribute to John Denver - ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 citizen1 1
KCSN could be in for change (Jul '08) Aug '08 Javier 7
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••