KCSN could be in for change

KCSN could be in for change

There are 7 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jul 17, 2008, titled KCSN could be in for change. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

The programming director at radio station KCSN-FM has retired, signaling a potential change at the San Fernando Valley's only public radio station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

DZK

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 17, 2008
Hand KCSN to CSUN and let the STUDENTS run it, with some guidance from the pro's.

I attended CSUN from 1994-2000 and nobody on campus listened or could relate to it. The problem? KCSN caters to a very elite audience - classical music lovers, mostly elderly.

Give the station back to the students, let them get training for 'the real world.'
CSUN student

Hilo, HI

#2 Jul 17, 2008
I agree with DZK. Practically no one on campus listens to the station because it caters to old people. The last time I checked the university was a vibrant and diverse place.

Students should run the station, of course with the help of faculty and professionals. The station should reflect the diverse campus and play urban music, Latin, rock, Middle Eastern, etc., and carve out some space for lovers of classical music.
KCSN Contributor

United States

#3 Jul 17, 2008
I pledged to KCSN strictly because
if offered BBC News. I never cared for the classical music format. My pledge was also a reward to KCSN for not carrying that corporate crap programming from NPR which is way overpriced and has becoming more biased since the mid-1990s. I would say the station should go to the students, like KUCI at UC Irvine has been forever. Don't hand-over the station to an outside management team as they did at KKJZ (KLON) at CSU-Long Beach. That station has nothing to do with the students at CSULB and is in a death spiral under the management of Mt.Wilson Broadcasters who cannot get ratings with full-power commercial broadcast stations.
OC Surfer

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

#4 Jul 17, 2008
It's time for CSUN and LA to have an all dance radio station.

A similiar station in Seattle, C89.5, is run by high school students on a high school campus and is one of the most popular stations in Seattle. And they always make their pledge drive targets.

If the format is right, people will listen.
Hans Laetz

Santa Monica, CA

#5 Jul 18, 2008
I am amazed that no Los Angeles public radio station serves people who do not speak English.

Of course that would take money, staff and a strong signal, none of which KCSN has ever possessed.
Eddy H

AOL

#6 Aug 10, 2008
Well, the format change has come and is none too good. Rather than losing their dull and tired classical format and exchanging it for their overnight I-Pod "arts and roots" format, they have instead dropped all of Les Perry's programming (except his "Beatles" show, and a few other programs that used to be worth the listening. The new shows are sub standard, and completely boring. The new hosts are vapid and lacking in any on-air personality, and seem to be even more elitist than the ones before. How much longer will they continue to run the "Voted best in L.A." slogan? That was from two YEARS ago, and is clearly not the case now. I used to faithfully turn off my satellite radio on Friday evenings, tune in KCSN, and leave it there all weekend. Now, I don't even bother.
Javier

United States

#7 Aug 22, 2008
That's not a format change, they just got rid of Les Perry's tired shows. Zzzzz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Adams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Met to present controversial 'Klinghoffer' opera (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jeff Brightone 1
News Review: Long Beach Operaa s earthquake show is ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 going 1
News Southwest Atlanta Celebrates July 4th with Fire... (Jul '11) Jul '12 Tyrone 2
News Civility does not justify censorship (Jan '11) Jan '11 John in Sunderland 6
News Philharmonic at Carnegie: What a Difference a H... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Ho Lee Schitt 1
News Maestro, cellist set the gold standard | The Co... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Mike 3
News Tim Grobaty: Let these tunes worm their way int... (Sep '09) Sep '09 bjh 3
More from around the web