Urban advocates say new gun control t...

Urban advocates say new gun control talk overdue

There are 58 comments on the Boston.com story from Dec 22, 2012, titled Urban advocates say new gun control talk overdue. In it, Boston.com reports that:

It took a small-town slaughter for gun control to become a political priority. Now, decades' worth of big-city arguments against easy access to guns are finally being heard, because an unstable young man invaded an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., with a military-style assault rifle and 30-bullet clips.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Boston.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Obama SHOULD CRY

United States

#45 Dec 23, 2012
Jennifer wrote:
I believe a person has every right to defend themselves in any form, but having something that is mostly used on the battlefield being owned by a private person is a recipe for disaster. Mr. LaPierre's comments really bothered me, and someone I know called him 'evil'. I called him about as close to being a 'pimp'. Someone said that was wrong, and I said, "Okay, how about a man who orders hookers around?" I guess you could say I find him to be a bottomfeeder, and I hope people are not buying a lot of that garbage.
Jennifer, with all due respect I suggest you take a firearms saftey course. Report back on what you learned about firearms.

Battlefield weapons arn't much different than many used for hunting. In fact many military firearms are used to hunt with.
Insipid Sophistry -

Sierra Vista, AZ

#46 Dec 24, 2012
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>San Francisco sez 'OK no gun ban, but you can't buy ammo'...LOL.
Not to worry, you can easly come by it in the surrounding communities of San Fransicko....
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

#47 Dec 24, 2012
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
Wow, Wayne LaPeirre was literally foaming at the mouth during his disgraceful appearance on Meet the Press. That guy is bat-Sh*t crazyÂ… Wow.
A thumb-sucking, bed wetting B.A.M. must have been an amusing anomaly amongst those in the 'Corpse' as your ersatz prez would say. Or were you a 'Mareen' for Avon? <wink>
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

#48 Dec 24, 2012
Jennifer wrote:
I believe a person has every right to defend themselves in any form, but having something that is mostly used on the battlefield being owned by a private person is a recipe for disaster. Mr. LaPierre's comments really bothered me, and someone I know called him 'evil'. I called him about as close to being a 'pimp'. Someone said that was wrong, and I said, "Okay, how about a man who orders hookers around?" I guess you could say I find him to be a bottomfeeder, and I hope people are not buying a lot of that garbage.
Jenny....

Most all of the civilian semi-auto rifles out there lack the main function of an 'Assault rifle,' and that is, that they are fully automatic and lack a bayonet lug and flash suppressor as related to the military (AR15) M-16.

The reason for the 2nd amendment is not for hunting, but for.......

deterring tyrannical government;[34]
repelling invasion;
suppressing insurrection;
facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
participating in law enforcement;
enabling the people to organize a militia system.
And you can't do all that with hand guns alone......
Casper00

Troy, NY

#49 Dec 24, 2012
How do Guns with Bayonet lugs, Pistol Grips, Carrying handles, Black plastic, Threaded Barrels and Barrel Shrouds kill more people than any other gun???
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

#50 Dec 24, 2012
They don't! But appartley liberals soil themselves anguishing about it....<smile>
Lawton

United States

#51 Dec 24, 2012
S-N-A-F-U wrote:
<quoted text>
Jenny....
Most all of the civilian semi-auto rifles out there lack the main function of an 'Assault rifle,' and that is, that they are fully automatic and lack a bayonet lug and flash suppressor as related to the military (AR15) M-16.
The reason for the 2nd amendment is not for hunting, but for.......
deterring tyrannical government;[34]
repelling invasion;
suppressing insurrection;
facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
participating in law enforcement;
enabling the people to organize a militia system.
And you can't do all that with hand guns alone......
Fully automatic weapons are difficult to control when fired in fully automatic mode, muzzel jump. Anyone who has fired a fully automatic will tell you that.

The rifle used by Adam was a semiauto so all this talk about banning fullyauto rifles makes no sense.

Magazine capacity is a different matter, smaller magazines would make it more difficult to fire many rounds without reloading. The pause to reload might make it possible to neutralize a killer.

As far as the look of a military rifle as opposed to a non-military rifle there is a stigma attached to using a black gun (military) as they are now called. However in Adam's state of mind he would have used whatever he could get his hands on but the AR with 30 round magazine allowed him to shoot many times with no pause.
Replace the Disgrace

Beacon, NY

#52 Dec 24, 2012
If you want to make the students safe, save money
and enhance our education system, how about this?
Each stae gives each student from the 4th grade on a compmter and have the classes done on line.They will be computer literate by that time and testing could be done on a rotating basis where they would be required to respond to an educational facility which will be secure. We could save money on teachers, building maitenance, busing and all children will have an equal chance to apply themselves. No excuses and no BS. Intersted parents would make sure those who want to learn do so.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#53 Dec 24, 2012
Replace the Disgrace wrote:
If you want to make the students safe, save money
and enhance our education system, how about this?
Each stae gives each student from the 4th grade on a compmter and have the classes done on line.They will be computer literate by that time and testing could be done on a rotating basis where they would be required to respond to an educational facility which will be secure. We could save money on teachers, building maitenance, busing and all children will have an equal chance to apply themselves. No excuses and no BS. Intersted parents would make sure those who want to learn do so.
So you mean all these kids will stay at home and attend school on line?
What about the few intact families that have to have both parents working,or the single Moms that work?
Do we put them on the entitlement rolls now?
Replace the Disgrace

Beacon, NY

#54 Dec 24, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
So you mean all these kids will stay at home and attend school on line?
What about the few intact families that have to have both parents working,or the single Moms that work?
Do we put them on the entitlement rolls now?
That would be their responsibility. The education system is not designed to be a baby sitting service. Or they can do their classes while at a day care center as they go now. Have Grandma or whoever stay with the kids. They could work it out if need be.
It would save uncounted millions in teachers salaries, pensions, bebefits, building upkeep and maintenance. Not all teachers would be terminated. Some would still be needed but a vast majority would find other work. Maybe even as baby sitters LOL.
Lawton

United States

#55 Dec 24, 2012
<quoted text>
That would be their responsibility. The education system is not designed to be a baby sitting service. Or they can do their classes while at a day care center as they go now. Have Grandma or whoever stay with the kids. They could work it out if need be.
It would save uncounted millions in teachers salaries, pensions, bebefits, building upkeep and maintenance. Not all teachers would be terminated. Some would still be needed but a vast majority would find other work. Maybe even as baby sitters LOL.
It all works but for the fact that the Libertards in Minnesota will be Unionizing day care providers. So if the school babysitters are converted to non-school babysitters they will still be overpaid Union thugs.
S-N-A-F-U

Sierra Vista, AZ

#56 Dec 24, 2012
Lawton wrote:
<quoted text>
Fully automatic weapons are difficult to control when fired in fully automatic mode, muzzel jump. Anyone who has fired a fully automatic will tell you that.
The rifle used by Adam was a semiauto so all this talk about banning fullyauto rifles makes no sense.
Magazine capacity is a different matter, smaller magazines would make it more difficult to fire many rounds without reloading. The pause to reload might make it possible to neutralize a killer.
As far as the look of a military rifle as opposed to a non-military rifle there is a stigma attached to using a black gun (military) as they are now called. However in Adam's state of mind he would have used whatever he could get his hands on but the AR with 30 round magazine allowed him to shoot many times with no pause.
I didn't suggest that civilians have access to fully automatic weapons -- I was just comparing the two. Stigma doesn't kill folks, as alluded to in previous posts.
Lawton

United States

#57 Dec 24, 2012
S-N-A-F-U wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't suggest that civilians have access to fully automatic weapons -- I was just comparing the two. Stigma doesn't kill folks, as alluded to in previous posts.
IMHO the fully auto functioanlity really doesn't make a gun a more effective killer. The old spray and pray applies. So availabilty of a fully auto isn't a big deal, in fact a crazed killer would be less effective with a fully auto instead of a semiauto. Can't you see an Adam sqeezing off an entire magazine while shooting the glass to get entry into a school?

Once 30 rounds are shot the gun gets hot and at some point it will be to hot to hold, end of event. I overheated an M14 and I think it took about 4 20 round magazines before it was smoking hot, couldn't hold it any longer.

Schools need to be hardened with strong sally port doors and bullet resistant glass. Some defensive weapons available for staff is a good idea and if no staff want to be armed then hire them a guard who is OK with using defensive weapons.

None of this is rocket science, look at any Federal Reserve Building, they all are hardened. Why not protect school kids and staff?
Brad

Manchester, CT

#58 Dec 24, 2012
<quoted text>
I hear where you're coming from ,but,its a tough situation that would have a bunch of different consequences.
You're talking around 100,000 public schools in about 14,ooo school districts not counting over 5,000 charter schools.
That would mean hundreds of thousands of jobs directly related to education lost.
Now day care workers are gonna be expected to become teachers and grand parents with little to no computer skills?
Plus you're talking about 25% of people in America don't have access to a computer.
I think its a stretch at the very least.
drinK the hivE

Anonymous Proxy

#59 Dec 24, 2012
Social Darwinism...

"One Man With A Gun Can Control 100 Without One."

V.Lenin.

http://i54.tinypic.com/kb6g51.jpg
Replace the Disgrace

Beacon, NY

#60 Dec 24, 2012
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear where you're coming from ,but,its a tough situation that would have a bunch of different consequences.
You're talking around 100,000 public schools in about 14,ooo school districts not counting over 5,000 charter schools.
That would mean hundreds of thousands of jobs directly related to education lost.
Now day care workers are gonna be expected to become teachers and grand parents with little to no computer skills?
Plus you're talking about 25% of people in America don't have access to a computer.
I think its a stretch at the very least.
Those 100,000 public schools are being payed for by the tax payer.
Day care centers are an option or perhaps private schools which are funded directly by the parent if the public option does not work for them. Anyone without a computer would be provided one by the state. The cost savings would be tremendeous. This of course would be after the 4th grade where the student would be able to read, write and handle a computer. Special education is another matter.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#61 Dec 24, 2012
<quoted text>
Those 100,000 public schools are being payed for by the tax payer.
Day care centers are an option or perhaps private schools which are funded directly by the parent if the public option does not work for them. Anyone without a computer would be provided one by the state. The cost savings would be tremendeous. This of course would be after the 4th grade where the student would be able to read, write and handle a computer. Special education is another matter.
I was maybe being conservative before,but,you still don't address the millions of lost jobs.
What of all the wasted education getting teaching certificates?
All the huge student loan debt to attain those,does the state just pay for all that like they pay for peoples computers and provide training as well.
What about the lost wages for all the parents who have to quit their jobs,the state pays for that too?
Reform,yes.
Senator Inbred INHOFE

United States

#62 Dec 25, 2012
MO GUNS N LESS GAYS N SKOOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Biden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. seeks to soothe Turkey ties, press fight a... Sat Go Blue Forever 2
News Maryland's untested rape kits, Baltimore's sex ... Aug 25 Phyllis Schlafly ... 2
News Turkey launches operation to free IS-held Syria... Aug 24 Xstain Fumblement... 1
News Biden warns Kosovo of 'cancer' of corruption Pr... Aug 23 MUSLIM BUTCHERS 57
News A true leader, Hillary clears a bar set high Aug 23 Mark Twain 80
News Obama Agrees to Massive Military Donations for ... Aug 23 Dee Dee Dee 4
News Biden: Trump's immigration plan would 'tarnish'... Aug 22 JohnInLa 10
More from around the web