Buffett moves smoothly into Toyota Park

Buffett moves smoothly into Toyota Park

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Buffett moves smoothly into Toyota Park. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jimmy Buffett 's signature tune "Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes" took on new significance Thursday at Toyota Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Shaun - not from Boston

Quincy, MA

#1 Jul 25, 2008
Sounds like a fun show, and I'm sorry I missed it. Then again, Buffett's gotten so overpriced in recent years that it's not hard for me to skip his annual visits to Chicago and Wisconsin.

One minor gripe: As good a song as "Changes" is, it's NOT Jimmy's signature tune. You have heard of "Margaritaville," haven't you?

That's like saying Billy Joel's signature tune is "Uptown Girl" and not "Piano Man," or Springsteen's is "Danicing in the Dark" and not "Born to Run."
Shaun - not from Boston

Quincy, MA

#2 Jul 25, 2008
Oh, and one more thing... I was at Toyota Park for the Clapton "Crossroads" festival last year. NICE venue! Much better than Tinley Park.

They only problem that day I was there was a shortage of food as the day wore on, but I'm guessing they've learned from that. I hope they bring more shows to Toyota Park!
Dave Miller

Davenport, IA

#3 Jul 25, 2008
Buffet is boring and his music is unenjoyable and predictable. A musician, hardly.
noneoftheabove

Melrose Park, IL

#4 Jul 25, 2008
Ever since Buffet sued that little diner for using "cheeseburger in paradise" I realized his songs are just lies and being footloose and carefree is just his illusion. I haven't and will never go to a Buffet concert. It'd be like seeing Hitler sing about everyone getting along - or Stroger singing about being competent and honest, or even Obama talking about being a uniter.
dave

United States

#5 Jul 25, 2008
"...an informational brochure with a map and rules." Funny - I never got one of those back in the day of shows at Soldier Field and Comiskey Park.
Peg

United States

#7 Jul 25, 2008
Back in the day---Informational brochure consisted of information as to where the bathrooms were located!! And rules? We dont need no stinken rules!!Fins up!!
Peg

United States

#8 Jul 25, 2008
Dave Miller wrote:
Buffet is boring and his music is unenjoyable and predictable. A musician, hardly.
You are no fun Dave!!
Ray n Jules Edwin

United States

#9 Jul 26, 2008
It was Great.........One of the best...super weather....
Ray n Jules Edwin

United States

#10 Jul 26, 2008
"over priced"???? name one major player/players that arent.....

"out of food" ?? for a bad acid trip?? or
what.....Concerts=music....... .McDonalds=
food.......or I am mixed up????
when has the food or drink been good or priced right at any venue or event...

He just proves as any succesful person,
he found a niche, he likes it and it looks
like 28,000 liked it too..
Ray n Jules Edwin

United States

#11 Jul 26, 2008
Dave...they make nice FREE souvineers..

and PEG..who reads 'em??? I was given one( rule sheet),
and still......
had my camera,
passed joints back and forth,
drank from 4 different stashes,
tossed a note onstage
and had a cold White Castles......lol

the key to winning the war.....
accept the rule sheet
smile
read it
smile at them

go and break as many as you can.....
murph

United States

#12 Jul 27, 2008
I was at the show saturday night. The show itself was fine, but why didn't toyota park enforce its no ticket-no parking policy as listed on its website? There were a number of people that came in without tickets and tailgated all evening without any intention of seeing the show. Kids who couldn't hold their booze were urinating and throwing food at cars, with no security to be found. Also plenty of ticket scalpers everywhere who paid little attention to security. A very poor job overall. Next time get some CPD cops to let the hooligans know that some behavior won't be tolerated, even if it is a jimmy buffet concert.
DanZan

Laurel, MS

#13 Jul 27, 2008
From a Mississippian's view point, The Garcia coined "X FACTOR" was alive and well on 24 July 2008 in Chicago. Buffett and Reefers
were extremely into the show and you could feel the M'ville creap into your every place. As a retired 60 year old who used to listen to Jimmy at the Hub on USM's campus in the late 60's, I rediscovered myself as well as the hole Cheeseburger thing. The previovs negative comments I read had to come from people who just don't get it. What a sad thing. They probably never will even if the think they do.
Winterbiker

Springfield, IL

#14 Jul 29, 2008
Great show, great venue, and the shuttle from the Orange Line meant no drive back to the City. That said, they really need to work on their sound system. From where we sat ($86 nosebleeds), instrumentals came through fine, but lyrics (MOST important, at a JB concert) were really distorted.
AZ PJM

Phoenix, AZ

#15 Jul 29, 2008
I happened to be in town visiting mom and had the chance to go to the show. I have seen him all around the country in big and small venues, and Toyta Park ranks as on of THE best for great crowd / customer relations. Yes, you can always find something to fault if you look for it, but overall I give the TP venue and staff a big fins up!

The only issue I had is that I was wearing my Buffett 22 Cubs jersey like the one he wore at the Wrigley shows...and boy did I catch some pretty raunchy verbal abuse from Sox fans since I was in "their" territory. But we got even when they played "Go Cubs Go" over the loudspeakers as people filtered out of the stands after the show :-), since, after all, Jimmy is a professed Cubs fan and we have numerous appearances and two shows at Wrigley to prove it.
BardGuy

New York, NY

#16 Jul 29, 2008
I cannot agree that the change in venue did anything to lessen the crowd problems. This has been a major problem for the last three years, and the reason that, after 15 years, I am sad to say that this was my last Buffett concert. Toyota park was easy to get to, parking and tailgating was a breeze also. Getting to our seats in section C went extremely well also. But, once the music started, all security disappeared, and there was a mass exodus from the cheap seats onto the main field. I wound up leaving right around intermission because I got tired of the 'seat crashers' in back of me doing nothing but shout 'WHOO JIMMY' during the entire 1st half of the show.
jaming64

Warrenville, IL

#17 Aug 4, 2008
Dave Miller wrote:
learn how to spell....dave
Uncky Herb

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Nov 6, 2008
I think if you do a little homework, you will find out that the little dinner that was using his copyrighted title, eventually became his partner and is now reaping success they never could have imagined or achieved on their own. So before you compare him to Hitler, maybe you should get your facts straight. It appears to me that the "little dinner" was breaking the law,but instead of putting them out of business Buffett helped them succeed.
noneoftheabove wrote:
Ever since Buffet sued that little diner for using "cheeseburger in paradise" I realized his songs are just lies and being footloose and carefree is just his illusion. I haven't and will never go to a Buffet concert. It'd be like seeing Hitler sing about everyone getting along - or Stroger singing about being competent and honest, or even Obama talking about being a uniter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jimmy Buffett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Radio Margaritaville Playlist (Aug '07) Aug '17 Atlanta Puppeteer 29
My personal e-mail to MR. JIMMY BUFFETT. (Oct '09) Apr '14 Xavier 3
News Live music review: Jimmy Buffett played first A... (May '13) Jun '13 Chuggaboom 3
News Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett happily indulge t... (May '13) May '13 Blackbeard 1
News Asheville CITIZEN-TIMES.com: Cheeseburger in Pa... (Feb '08) Feb '13 Sarah 182
News Jimmy Buffet Coming to BB&T Center: What to Bri... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Relo Cincy parrot... 1
News Key West hosts Captain Tony Days festivities Au... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Keith 3