A rejuvenated Grateful Dead winds up ...

A rejuvenated Grateful Dead winds up first tour in five years

There are 33 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from May 11, 2009, titled A rejuvenated Grateful Dead winds up first tour in five years. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Fourteen years after Jerry Garcia's death, the four surviving members of the Grateful Dead have finally come together again as a band.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chronicle Reader

Azusa, CA

#23 May 13, 2009
Good Times = Jake
Jake = Self Righteous Loon
Music is the Best

Walnut Creek, CA

#24 May 13, 2009
Personally I feel like the "Phil & Friends" band is truer to the exploratory and evolving spirit of the original Grateful Dead. Phil keeps things fresh in many ways.

Hearing "The Dead" with Warren Haynes only serves to remind me of what gaping hole was left in the band when Jerry died. He wasn't just the guitar player for the band. He was the heart of the Grateful Dead and the focal point of the shows, however much he liked or disliked that role. The band formed around him and his approach to music.

There's still plenty of talent in the current group but they would be better served bringing in some musical adventure to the experience. Horn section? Different guitar guests? The Phil, Bobby and drummer trio from New Years Eve was a god example of taking the music elsewhere while still honoring the roots.

This tour has "cashing in on the name" written all over it.
The Bear

Australia

#25 May 14, 2009
Nothing lasts- everything changes. Those who judge today only by what they 'remember' are cursed to live in perpetual disappointment. The band today is not the band of yesterday, The truth about music is that it only really exists as it is being played. Today's music is unique and if it cannot be experienced as that, then it is missed.
My advice to those who buy tickets expecting something from 20 years ago is 'stay home and play your CD's'- I have captured numerous shows in my sonic journals, they are not today's music, however.
SDneal

San Diego, CA

#26 May 14, 2009
I saw the LA show and thought these guys tore it up.
They sounded better as a band than they have in 15-20 years.
Not everyone likes what the Dead does, but no one does it better than them.
It's funny how everyone has a negative opinion yet you took time to read the article. Probably the same people who went to shows just to get wasted in the Lot....it's about the music!!!!
Chronicle Reader

Azusa, CA

#27 May 14, 2009
Hey Padre - It's funny how everyone with a different opinion from you is negative.
mike deadhead 73

Norwood, MA

#28 May 16, 2009
Went to a show and was sold seats with blocked sound for$100 through Grateful Dead ticket sales. A horrible expeience, an experience the original Grateful Dead would never have tolerated!
mike deadhead 73

Chagrin Falls, OH

#29 May 16, 2009
Music is the Best wrote:
Personally I feel like the "Phil & Friends" band is truer to the exploratory and evolving spirit of the original Grateful Dead. Phil keeps things fresh in many ways.
Hearing "The Dead" with Warren Haynes only serves to remind me of what gaping hole was left in the band when Jerry died. He wasn't just the guitar player for the band. He was the heart of the Grateful Dead and the focal point of the shows, however much he liked or disliked that role. The band formed around him and his approach to music.
There's still plenty of talent in the current group but they would be better served bringing in some musical adventure to the experience. Horn section? Different guitar guests? The Phil, Bobby and drummer

trio from New Years Eve was a god example of taking the music
elsewhere while still honoring the roots.
This tour has "cashing in on the name" written all over it.
myexperience reinforces this kind of sad thinking
champ

Vallejo, CA

#30 May 18, 2009
the music on thursday night was awesome - great energy. i had a blast. i'm sure many others did, too.
Steve

Santa Cruz, CA

#31 May 31, 2009
Another Santa Cruz guy here really disappointed in what they are doing with their legacy, i.e. selling it out. Weak. Anyone with any knowledge sees this.
Mac

West Columbia, SC

#32 Jun 3, 2009
The We wrote:
Hey Libratore!!
The Greatful Dead disbanded years ago. The band on tour now is The Dead or formerly The Other Ones. Either way they are not the Greatful Dead. They have similar members and a similar sound but the feel and groove is all gone, replaced with commercial and political crap.
Who the hell is the "Greatful Dead"? Is that some cover band for the Grateful Dead?
Gar

Elkhart, IN

#33 May 13, 2013
Blaine Stewart wrote:
That concert was a insult to hard working fans, over priced tickets and lack luster musicians. Jerry was the only one worth seeing amongst them.
The Dead SUCK.
Oh and Bob Weir is not a nice person.
How do you know Bob Weir is"but a nice person"?
Gar

Elkhart, IN

#34 May 13, 2013
Palo Alto Old Fart wrote:
I've been backstage dozens of times, grew up across the street from Pig Pen. Here's some inside info: The reason for all the extremely long breaks between sets was because the band would wait until the end of the first set and then have a meeting and decide what kind of food to have delivered. There was always plenty of food for all the crew members, but the Bozo Brothers had to decide at the moment and order take out. They didn't eat crew food. Hence the two hour breaks between sets. That and the Nitrous tent.
Hey old fart got any old tapes/films/stories you care to share privately?

The Gloop

Since: Sep 08

#35 May 13, 2013
Chronicle Reader wrote:
Good Times = Jake
Jake = Self Righteous Loon
Gloop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jerry Garcia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Naked activists parade in San Francisco's Haigh... Aug '16 Sammy 1
News The 20th annual Gathering of the Vibes music fe... Aug '16 Samuels Furnace Man 6
News No Gathering of the Vibes in 2016 (Nov '15) Mar '16 Cisco 9
News Is the Grateful Dead Screwing Over its Fans? (Apr '15) Oct '15 revbish 2
News Gathering of the Vibes makes splash at Bridgepo... (Jul '15) Aug '15 Nulli Secundus 4
News Patrick Leahy Lives for The Dead (Jun '15) Jun '15 Le Jimbo 1
News Want Dead tickets? You'll need some green (Mar '15) May '15 Deadhead 3
More from around the web