After wait, 'Sex and the City' is Big letdown -- Entertainment,...

Full story: Baltimore Sun 16
Since it clocks in at almost 2 1/2 hours, you may think, sight unseen, that the movie version of the HBO smash Sex and the City is guilty of wretched excess. Full Story
hoinvksdv

Novosibirsk, Russia

#1 May 30, 2008
Article is awful and so critical - I think it was one of the best films I have ever seen!
Lisa Holbrook

Hull, UK

#2 May 30, 2008
Well, I have to say this is quite possibly the worst review I've ever read.
I went to see Sex and the City last night and thought it was great. It's about life, love, reality and disappointment.
We have to remember when we watch the film that the years have passed since the last episode aired. These women have moved on, have grown up.
It would be sad if the film centred around single life and getting laid every night, it wouldn't be realistic.
I believe that the film does appeal to women more so than men, we have grown up with the four women, we or maybe I can identify with the crappy world of love, sex and dating. We want to believe that there is something out there to look forward to, however it would seem that today men don't want to settle down, they want sex and women, they don 't want commitment or love.
The film gives options, Charlotte's fairy tale life, Miranda's struggle with her barriers, independence and trust issues, Carrie's fight for the dream and Samantha's strength and independence.
I believe that the review I have just read has missed out the possitive message of the film. Who wants to watch a film about a bunch of fourty something women who drink, get laid and end up alone? That's fine for your twentys, been there done that in your thirtys, desperately sad in your fourtys.
The film is fab, not just because of the clothes, but because it has allowed the characters to grow and growup.
It's the final chapter in the story and of course it's like the series, what did you expect? But, what's wrong with that.
I loved the film and so will anyone who loved the series.
Antonio

Barcelona, Spain

#3 May 30, 2008
Contrary to SATC hype, American women don't use sex for hedonistic pleasure, but as a control mechanism for men.
wiseup

Arlington, VA

#4 May 30, 2008
A woman should have reviewed this movie. How out of touch can The Sun get (and this writer for taking the assignment)? Maybe in his next article he'll include a list of movies he's successfully produced, directed, starred in or at least used a flashlight during to get people to their seats.
steveg

Centreville, MD

#5 May 30, 2008
Hard to believe you'd have a man review this movie. How could he have the proper appreciation for shoes and handbags and endless angst about feelings? How good were the car chase scenes? How many big explosions were there? Never mind...
Cantonement

College Park, MD

#6 May 30, 2008
You're all fairies. KISSES!!!
Hey now

Merrimack, NH

#7 May 30, 2008
I actually thought that one of the plusses of the movie was that it DID read like a five-episode arch, and managed to do so without being boring. This was indeed a "love letter to the fans." I thought that the actors gave some of their strongest performances in "Sex's" history. I haven't had such an enjoyable experience at the movies in a long time.
name not important

United States

#8 May 30, 2008
sounds like it should have been named something else, like "Boring women and the City". Now, admit I have not seen it, and I'm a guy who kinda liked the series, but the best parts of the series were the sexual parts of it (thanks largely to Kim) which have been largely censored out of the current version being shown on another network (not Hbo).
SATC Fan

Austin, TX

#9 May 30, 2008
Maybe The Sun Editors should preview movie reviews before they print them, just like they make their critics review comments before they post them!
Bad pick of critic, makes me want to see the movie even more. Obviously, Sragrow didn't watch enough episodes.
Attila the Hon

Geneva, IL

#10 May 30, 2008
AIEEEEEEEEEE...!
Notfooled

United States

#11 May 30, 2008
More product placement B.S. SATC as an INDUSTRY, sells itself as a liberating force for women. All it really does is inject products into story lines so females will go out and BUY! So girls, do as your told - go out and BUY THE PRODUCTS FEATURED IN THE MOVIE.
Terry

United States

#12 May 30, 2008
Are you kidding me? I just came from the movie and thought it was one of the best I have seen in many years. It was worth the 4 year wait, worth all of the premovie hype, worth my $10 and maybe more as I will go see it again very soon. I loved loved loved it and was so glad to see all of the originals. This movie kept me full of emotions laughing, then crying, then laughing, then crying. The girls were terrific as usual and Big was outstanding. Loved them all actually and so glad to see the ever hot Smith as well as Harry and Steve. Anthony and Stanford. Loved Lilly and Brady too. It was a lot of everything and more so.
Alexis

Little Rock, AR

#13 Jun 3, 2008
If you people think this is one of the best movies you've ever seen, you need to get out of your fantasy world. And fast.
Natanya

Savoy, MA

#14 Jun 7, 2008
I must agree the sex and the city movie was a big let down. I know if that was me and my best friend told my fiancé that we shouldn’t get married because it ruins the relationship. I would have beaten her to a pulp, and you know what happen she just for gave her after 3 days. What world do they live in? What about a little romance is that too much to ask or at the least a good story line with depth. Who were they making this movie for; I don’t think it was the fans.
Hokiefan

Alexandria, VA

#15 Jun 19, 2008
Great movie! The reviewer obviously didn't "get it" or was trying for a contrarian view to get attention.
Disappointed

AOL

#16 Aug 25, 2008
I just came from watching this movie, wow, what a let down! There was way too much of the old drama and very litte moving forward in they're lives. I was hoping to see all the women in happy relationships and having fun in their older years, ya know making the same kind of jokes, but applying them to their present day situations, I wanted to laugh with them and instead I got a headache from all the misunderstandings, mood swings and fights with partners, it was really a big disappointment to me and I only laughed at the humping dog. I am glad I read some reviews before I forked over $10.00 bucks to see it at one of the regular cinemas, I waited until it hit the #3.00 dollar theater instead, and I think I spent $2.99 too much, oh well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jason Lewis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jason Lewis nude (Nov '11) Nov '11 Kristine 1
Cameron Diaz stuffs whole burger in mouth to im... (Aug '09) Oct '09 Moviebuff 27
'Brothers & Sisters' Adds a Little 'Sex' - Jaso... (Jan '08) May '09 william crabtree 8
Jennifer Aniston rep doesn't deny rumors of Jas... (Jan '08) Feb '09 tex_ 114
Lewis, McRae to co-host dancing fundraiser (Nov '08) Nov '08 curious 1
New Jason Lewis Movie- "My Faraway Bride" (Aug '08) Aug '08 Cara_MSM 1
Jason Lewis Isn't Jennifer Aniston's 'Secret Lo... (Feb '08) Apr '08 tmj3 18
More from around the web