More bumps for Metropolitan Opera's '...

More bumps for Metropolitan Opera's 'Tosca'

There are 1 comment on the The Modesto Bee story from Sep 25, 2009, titled More bumps for Metropolitan Opera's 'Tosca'. In it, The Modesto Bee reports that:

The Metropolitan Opera's new staging of Puccini's "Tosca" has run into more bumps.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Modesto Bee.

Warrren and Mary

Monterey, CA

#1 Oct 12, 2009
This last Saturday was our first experience seeing The MET Live HD. We were so impressed with the singing, the acting and the sound quality that was very dramatically and intimately revealed in this performance of Tosca; to top it all off, we were impressed with the behind the scenes interviews with the artists who were presenting this unique live production. What an experience! Our limited opera attendance does not allow us to compare this production of Tosca with previous Met productions,so we did not react adversely to the changes noted in some reviews; however, my wife and I were offended at the-not-too-much-to-be-imagine d sexual depravity displayed in the scene with Scarpia and his harem. We think it unfortunate that the Met has chosen to show sexual seduction so realistically as to be offensive to us and I would imagine others (one of the women viewers in our theatre actually gasped at one point in that dark scene). This aspect of the Tosca experience was just a sensationalistic distraction that seemed quite unnecessary to this otherwise wonderful production.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Levine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Male abuse victims seek place Apr 23 Its reality 1
News Met Opera fires James Levine after sex abuse ev... Mar '18 ode to life 3
News Cesare Civetta's new book on Toscanini lets his... (Mar '13) Mar '13 oldeastsider 1
News Conductors: The pharaohs of music - The Advocat... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Barton McLean 1
News James Levine back for Boston Symphony's new season (Sep '10) Sep '10 non-believer 1
News Recovering, Levine withdraws from Tanglewood se... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Resident 7
News Levine to miss entire season n The Tanglewood c... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Professor Harold ... 2