bret maverick
Nick Kitt

Newburgh, NY

#1 Sep 3, 2009
A recent viewing of the entire BRET MAVERICK series led me to believe just how underrated that series is to this day !!! I could never buy into all the criticisms that were heaped upon it,even by Roy Huggins and Jack Kelly,both of which were going to join the series in the never realized second season. To suggest that Maverick needed to travel more and not be settled and that Maverick would "never" run a scam for a scam's sake,but rather as a tool for justice didn't really make sense in the grand scheme of things. After all, this was the old West and a man his age can't keep "polishing a saddle" forever. Besides,he now had a ranch, the beautiful "LAZY ACE",which had to be maintained,among other things. It made perfect sense to me that Maverick would, indeed, use whatever skill he had to maintain his "retirement". So, all those opinions have no weight when you consider the overall beauty of this overlooked gem of a show. The second season would have been fabulous !!

Since: Jan 11

United States

#2 Jan 17, 2011
Fantastic series; one of the very best!
bett maverick

Barrow, UK

#3 Feb 21, 2012
Jimeye wrote:
Fantastic series; one of the very best!
b/w maverick.roy huggins cast john astin as joe labert in the town that wasn"t there.it"s disappointing that john astin was not regognized as the right actor to be the third maverick.it"s also strange that sean connery and roger moore were shortlisted for the role of beau maverick.but not western fan patrick mcgoohan.actor robert colbert was underrated as brent maverick.(was his charcter the toughest of the mavericks.more ornery and cankankerous.boarderline gunman?)his resemblence to james garner could have lead to episodes of mistaken identity.with bret maverick enemy"s getting a gun barrel across the head.80"s brett maverick was a television classic and should have run for years.ed bruce and stuart margolin were brilliant.new movie please.
David

Elmhurst, NY

#4 Feb 21, 2012
James Garner was Maverick. He was gorgeous, had terrific comic timing and a wonderful flair for comedy. I grew up watching the series and Garner was always one of my favorites. God bless you, James Garner!
victor victoria

Barrow, UK

#5 Feb 23, 2012
David wrote:
James Garner was Maverick. He was gorgeous, had terrific comic timing and a wonderful flair for comedy. I grew up watching the series and Garner was always one of my favorites. God bless you, James Garner!
to make it visually different from the original.some like it hot should be remade as a western.casting?in my opinion.lee evans and nathan lane.actor larry miller who should have found fame as maverick(1994)and bilko(1996)would be good as derby hat lawman miligan.actor kevin james to play a western henchman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Garner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James Garner son (Jan '06) Jul '16 Mokitek 41
News Critic's TV picks: 'Comanche Moon' (Jan '08) Aug '15 Urbanite 3
News On DVD: 'Rockford Files' finds right clue (Jan '08) Sep '14 MorganLvr 9
ames Grner (Jul '14) Sep '14 MorganLvr 6
News Vaughn to play Jim Rockford? (Apr '12) Jul '14 Latenighter 6
Poll who should star in a longarm movie (Mar '12) Jun '13 longarm movie 4
News Who was TV's greatest detective? (Jul '11) Jun '13 Zac Hanson 4
More from around the web