Peter Jackson to produce 'The Hobbit'

Peter Jackson to produce 'The Hobbit'

There are 10 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 18, 2007, titled Peter Jackson to produce 'The Hobbit'. In it, Newsday reports that:

Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings." Jackson, who directed "Rings," will serve as ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Bring it on

New York, NY

#1 Dec 18, 2007
This will be awesome. Curious to see how they will stretch it out to 2 movies though.
John

Smithtown, NY

#2 Dec 18, 2007
Awesome? You've obviously never read the books... J.R.R. Tolkien must still turn over in his grave because of the crap that Jackson put on film. Those were the worst adaptations of any novel I have ever read/seen. I wonder what characters he will change/delete/add etc... I have always said the books needed to be done as a TV series so nothing need be cut out.

This is terrible news...
GreatNews

Baltimore, MD

#3 Dec 18, 2007
John - get over it. With every movie there are always morons like you who insist on saying "the book was better" like a bunch of whining children. Just go back to reading your books and playing Dungeons and Dragons in your parents basement.

I thought the Lord of the Rings movies were great, and so did everyone else since they made $3 billion as cited in the article. Looking forward to the new ones.
John

Smithtown, NY

#4 Dec 18, 2007
For your information I never played D&D in my parents basement or anywhere. The books were better if you actually read them you would agree. The movies were very well made, however when Christopher Tolkien comes out and calls them a joke I pretty much side with the authors son.

Jackson did a great job with King Kong too didn't he?

He ruined the integrity of the books. There were so many changes that the meaning of the story itself was lost. Adding in Arwen was a complete joke. She spoke maybe five lines in the entire book and was added in at the expense of a very important character. Also there was only one elf at Helm's Deep, not a battalion. What about Anduril? That's the reason Boromir went to Rivendell in the first place and it gets nearly no mention unil the last movie? I could go on and on but apparently Morons like you don't bother reading the books so you probably don't even recognize half the names anyway.
jds

Hampstead, MD

#5 Dec 18, 2007
I've read 'The Lord of the Rings' multiple times, and I enjoyed the movies. Yes, they changed some things I wish they hadn't changed, but they were good movies and I can still reread the novel whenever I want.

But even if you can't bring yourself to like them (which is fine; I know a number of people who can't), calling them "the worst adaptations of any novel" is just silly. There have been many movies which bear much less resemblance to their source novels than these.
gee

UK

#6 Dec 22, 2007
lord of rings roks
Erika

United States

#7 Dec 22, 2007
WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME!
Hollywood Princess

Bedford, TX

#8 Dec 22, 2007
I love the Lord of the Rings movies. I can't believe they're making everyone wait for four or three years before the forth movie comes out.
Mattemeo

United States

#9 Jan 1, 2008
Who cares John, almost every movie doent compare to the book version, duh! There is no way they could use all the information in the book for a movie unless you make the movie ungodly long. If they did the movies in every detail, each movie of the trilogy would probly be a trilogy in itself. And as cool as it would be to have the Trilogy in it fullest. I dont see many people wanting to see 9 movies or so for a 3 movie trilogy.

I dont care that it didnt follow the books to the tee, I still love them and I own and watch all three of them whenever I get a LOTR fix. So, if you dont like what they did to the movies then dont watch them.

So I says, WHO CARES JOHN!!!

go PJ!
LOTR Lord

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Mar 6, 2008
For real dudes! Jackson used his godly skills to produce the greatest trilogy of our generation, but it still vears off the point a little. All jackson did was make it more appealing to the public. U know, the ones that wouldnt have spent a good amount of time to really appreciate the finesse of LOTR. I play BFME all the time, and am working on a new game to create sometime later on.
Dear GreatNews, you went a bit to far with the D&D dis, everyone knows its a bad game and all. Did you know the creator died recently?
FYI: I have LOTR fix's and Stargate fix's, its awsome.

HEY;;;;; STAY COOL,,,,, may the spirit of the Valor and Eldars be with you.!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J.R.R. Tolkien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike's In & Out - Livingston, MT (Jan '16) Mar '16 smartazz 2
News Look: Here's Tolkien's Vision of Santa and the ... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Polar 1
News 'Five Armies' closes the curtain on Middle-earth (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
J.R.R. Tolkien Collectible Books (Jan '14) Jan '14 Rick 1
News Odd Briefs: Family says crucifix formed on chee... (Dec '13) Jan '14 Clear Dharma 4
News Polish pranksters stop tram to film Tolkien scene (Dec '13) Dec '13 Clear Dharma 1
Frodo might be one hundred and fourteen in 2009. (Dec '09) Oct '13 calculator 5
More from around the web