Handing off power is tricky

Handing off power is tricky

There are 7 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from May 9, 2009, titled Handing off power is tricky. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Along with other bedrock ideas, like the regular and peaceful transference of power, one of the fundamental principles of American government is civilian control of the military.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Falls Church, VA

#1 May 10, 2009
Alan Chartock claims: "George W. Bush is a perfect example of what happens when a weak leader eats what he is given. The words 'weapons of mass destruction' spring to mind."

Can Mr. Chartock get through a single column without ranting yet again about George W. Bush?
Does the miniature ex-professor even know that 'W' is no longer president?
Does Chartock realize that the present Commander-in-Chief, the one who now is supposedly in total charge and at the helm of the big machine of government, is alleged not to have even known his own back-up airplane, the one that he can't fly anywhere without, was over in New York City scaring the bejesus out of the lesser-informed classes, and all on account of a photo shoot?
Sure, some military flunky in The White House claimed responsibility and fell on his sword for the boss, but surely, in the words of the all-knowing Chartock, "one of the fundamental principles of American government is civilian control of the military" and "We try not to let those who work for our presidents boss them around" or, as Alan says his Mom used to say, "take advantage."
Would George W. have ever allowed anyone in his White House military staff to take the blame for the President's own lack of oversight?
Not on W's watch!
fred

Northville, NY

#2 May 10, 2009
I wonder if Chartock will ever be able to "hand off the power" at WAMC.
Jeffrey Reel

AOL

#3 May 10, 2009
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
Alan Chartock claims: "George W. Bush is a perfect example of what happens when a weak leader eats what he is given. The words 'weapons of mass destruction' spring to mind."
Can Mr. Chartock get through a single column without ranting yet again about George W. Bush?
Does Chartock realize that the present Commander-in-Chief, the one who now is supposedly in total charge and at the helm of the big machine of government, is alleged not to have even known his own back-up airplane, the one that he can't fly anywhere without, was over in New York City scaring the bejesus out of the lesser-informed classes, and all on account of a photo shoot?
Sure, some military flunky in The White House claimed responsibility and fell on his sword for the boss, but surely, in the words of the all-knowing Chartock, "one of the fundamental principles of American government is civilian control of the military" and "We try not to let those who work for our presidents boss them around" or, as Alan says his Mom used to say, "take advantage."
Would George W. have ever allowed anyone in his White House military staff to take the blame for the President's own lack of oversight?
Not on W's watch!
Referring to Mr. Chartock as a "miniature" ex-professor (not the first time HelebCarbon has referred to him in this way) is nothing more than cruel and it indicates her level of emotional maturity.

Name-calling. Some people never grow out of it.
Alice T

Newton Upper Falls, MA

#4 May 10, 2009
Mr Chartock is now re-writing history to claim that the Bay of Pigs was really nothing. He says: "The military had JFK on board for the Bay of Pigs invasion in Cuba but they fed him bad information."

I guess those spy plane photos showing the Soviet Rockets being installed were done with a 1960's version of PhotoShop.

Later, we learned that Castro was encouraging Khrushchev to launch the nuclear tipped missiles at the US. Thanks to JFK's bold move, the Soviets backed down and realized that this young President was a serious leader.

Now we have Mr Chartock coming along and telling us that JFK was a weakling who was being pushed around by his handlers.

Thanks for deflating another of our Presidential icons, Mr Chartock, and letting us know that JFK was a foolish wimp. Maybe you can move on to Lincoln and Washington next week.
Art

Albany, NY

#5 May 10, 2009
Once again I've been enlightened by taking the time to read these comments. I actually thought at one time that I knew what the meaning of the word "rant" entailed. Perhaps I'm wrong.

The columnist just wrote a rather lengthy opinion that involved (mostly)a local issue and did submit a line and a half that referred back to a couple of former presidents, using one as a negative and brief example.

Mr Heller, the critic in this case, took that one line (or so) and expounded on the point in a manner that I would have previously considered a "rant" as he also took the time to point out that Mr. Chartok's article represented yet another "rant". I'm either missing something or the irony is thick enough to be hard to believe.

At this point, it is equally obvious that there is nothing that this columnist could write on any subject with any opinion that would not solicit a harsh and often silly response from some. At least it's occasionally entertaining. It's too bad however that the silliness could not also be accompanied by an occasional rationale and thought provoking opinion as well. Oops. forgive me. This came dangerously close to being a "rant" by someone's definition.

Since: May 08

Springfield, MA

#6 May 10, 2009
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
Not on W's watch!
Could we possibly get through a topix string without Heller ranting about his nemesis?
magnum force

Rensselaer, NY

#7 May 12, 2009
I Pubic states that Pittsfield Police has problems. The problems start when untrained civilians attempt to gain control of a professional agency. Leave the job to the Police Professionals. They are trained and come up through the ranks. Civil Service keeps the politian's uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters out of the ranks, unless they can pass the test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J. Edgar Hoover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Earth faces comet catastrophe, in this week's t... Sep '17 Lucky Brand 7 2
News US Government Archives: FBI Chief on UFOs, Cong... (Feb '10) Nov '13 Searl magnetic 6
News J. Edgar - review (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bill 1
News DiCaprio signs for Hoover biopic? (Oct '11) Oct '11 Informdradio 1
News Clint Eastwood eyes J. Edgar Hoover project (Oct '11) Oct '11 Informdradio 1
News San Anselmo man's book recount the life of 'Ram... (Nov '09) Nov '09 we the 8
News The Freedom of Information Act is for everybody (Jul '09) Jul '09 FOI Will Prove It 8
More from around the web