ICP is going mainstream???

Since: Jul 08

Atlanta GA

#23 Aug 5, 2008
I dont think they would go mainstream, due to the fact that J and Shagz hate all this new sh*t that is played on the radio. The only thing that flipped me out was the fact that They were on the White rapper show on VH 1. But they still macked that b*tch with the wicked sh*t. Fuckin old ass MC Serch prolly had a heart attack when he heard that ICP was gonna be on the white rapper show.
ekfosho

Broadview Heights, OH

#24 Jan 25, 2009
They won't ever go mainsteam. ICP does what they want, says what they want, and stays true to their fans. Making them NOT mainstream. They have 7 million sold by saying what they want, why would they sell out and censor they're shit? They wouldn't.
troy luginbill

Dravosburg, PA

#25 Jan 26, 2009
I thought it was about the carnival?

You should be happy if ICPs message goes mainstream, cause the carnival and being a Juggalo is a good thing.

Oh wait thats right, you guys are a Juggalos because its different and you couldn't compete in the big pond, so you found a smaller pond. I am betting that being a juggalo only actually means something to 1 of 10 Juggalos, the rest of you are are selfish and looking for attention. Since you couldn't be a football star you put on the hatchet and gave everyone the finger, making it their fault you couldn't fit in. Oh but wait you don't care that you don't fit in cause you are Juggalos. Juggalos just scowl at mainstreamers and make fun of them the way they made fun of you.

Its a circular argument guys, with you all trying to dodge the fact that no one can put you down, only you can, and that most Juggalos are so busy letting others define them that they have no idea who they really are.

I hope ICP goes mainstream. Then people will stop fucking with you guys and you guys will stop complaining about it and get on with actually listening to the music you claim defines you and possibly living up to the expectations you find amongst the jokers cards.

I hope the hatchetman is printed on gucci bags, and you find it at wal-mart on shampoo for kids, and that joe and joey make a lot of money off of the people you claim to not care about but still hate so much for ignoring you.
Jokers Smile

United States

#26 Feb 3, 2009
You know, I don't think the mainstream would let them in. They've built up a strong reputation for being against the mainstream. The media gods like MTV, Rolling Stone, Vibe, and VH1 are very proud deities. They'd probably think they were doing ICP a favor by letting them in, and they wouldn't do that after everything ICP has said against them.

Plus you know ICP wouldn't let them take them in without taking in the rest of the psychopathic crew too, and thats something the mainstream wouldn't do either.

And in any case, they don't really need mainstream support. They're totally self supporting with their record label and merchandise. they probably make more money than most mainstream groups because they don't have to pay record labels, agents, and the various media gods for exposure.

"What if I sold out like a bitch,
took the make up off and went soft?
Called myself Detroit Southwest Luva,
And put my ugly ass face on the album cover,
With R&B top ten hit,
And we had Jodeci singin all over our shit?
Fuck that though yo, I'm a juggalo.
So don't forget me like you did with Menudo."
troy luginbill

United States

#27 Feb 3, 2009
Look what happened to KISS when they took off the makeup.

20 years later they became a mainstrem hit. What will most likely happen is if Juggalos don't self destruct themselves as a community, there will be a bunch of old juggalos, with kids and grandkids of their own that make up the majority of the fan base (what I am assuming is just the opposite of what it is now.) all going to ICP concerts.

Last Rolling Stone Concert I went to in Vancouver was a real eye opener. As was Ozzy at Ozfest 2006. Damn, those guys can still rock but it must really take it out of them.
MC ReEL

Teec Nos Pos, UT

#28 Feb 3, 2009
blah blah blah...juggalo's seem not to get the message, well selling out can be a good thing for real..just because someone sells out it doesnt make anything bad if they new they were still doing it for us, it just means worldwide shows and free chance for a plane ride to the gathering, just as long as they dont forget about us. besides they wouldnt sell out! did yall see beef 2? see the aggresion when he talks about feminem? and on DL tales from the lotus pod? their own success kept them going and growing, they would not trade any of it... cuz therye success is priceless, its all sealed w/in the package.. they want people to know and even fallowers that if two scrubs can do any one can! MMFWACL..MC REeL check my music @
www.myspace.com/sizzawproductions
keep it reEl...
Jokers Smile

United States

#29 Feb 3, 2009
Kiss is old enough to aquire a retro status among the mainstream, which is the only reason they're back in the spotlight. With the 80's coming back these days, its only natural the bands from around that time would come back with them. You see teens running around with Kiss, VanHalen, and ACDC on their shirts a lot these days (mostly thanks to Guitar Hero and Rock Band).

Not only that but bands like Kiss were in the mainstream when they were popular, thus their return to the mainstream is much easier. ICP however is one of the most hated bands of all time. There's no way the mainstream will ever overlook that, even if they do take off the paint the way Kiss did.

ICP is a unique phenomenon within the music world. I really don't see it following the same paths as the others in the industry. There's really no telling where ICP could go from here.
troy luginbill

Dravosburg, PA

#30 Feb 4, 2009
Looking at ICPs path the place they will be going is more dictated by Juggalos than by the band.

Rap hasn't really become retro yet as it hasn't really left the mainstream as a genre, although some types of rap have been left on the sidewalk for dead. The funny thing about this is that the question of ICP going mainstream isn't really up to ICP or the Juggalos, it is up to the mainstream. History has proved over and over again that the best way to deal with the unknown is invite it into your house and put a doily on it.

But really the question shouldn't be is ICP going mainstream. It should be if the mainstream adopts ICP why would you suddenly consider them less of a band? Every band has a crappy album and a song that people point to and say.."what the hell were they thinking?" I am sure ICP has that were they tried to explore their art. Does a mainstream ICP make being a Juggalo suddenly a bad thing? If being a Juggalo were all about the music then why should that status change when people are no longer offended by the music?
Jokers Smile

United States

#31 Feb 4, 2009
Well thats a whole different senario. If the mainstream suddenly accepts ICP, it won't change them. They may not like it, and a lot of juggalos will hate it, but it really won't change anything. As long as ICP stays true to the juggalos and true to the style and message, they could be number one on TRL's most requested for all I care.

There is a sense of pride in knowing you support what the mainstream despises. It acts as a middle finger to the pop culture, and a lot of juggalos would lose their heads if the mainstream took that away from them. Some juggalos might only call themselves a juggalo for that reason. I almost wish they would, if only to weed out those types from the juggalo ranks.

I really don't see this happening though. Unless the mainstream is as two-faced and fake as it seems. In the end, I think ICP will do whats best for the juggalos and the carnival.
troy luginbill

Dravosburg, PA

#32 Feb 5, 2009
I guess I have to clarify what I am defining as main stream.

Mainstream to me is having a majority of the general music audience accept and enjoy the music (i.e. listen to it as a preference.) and then by default have the artists become a cultural icon for the american audience (interviews with barbara walters, time magazine covers, superbowl halftime shows, etc.) due to their popularity and the mass medias continued desire to make a profit without having to themselves do anything creative.

Rarely does this change the tone or message of the music. Some artists have totally refused, such as pearljam. I don't like their music but I have to respect that they totally circumvented all of mainstream culture and the music industry. Why? I really don't know, I guess someone in the industry just pissed them off. They were well on their way to becoming mainstream and bringing grunge with them.

I agree, I don't think that ICP would change their art if they suddenly became mainstream, nor do I think they would change something just to become mainstream. I would hope that most Juggalos would support the artist that gave them so much comfort regardless of how that artist was viewed by norms. To do otherwise is to be just as two faced as the media.(but from most of the posts to this thread I would say that there are quite a few Juggalos that could care less about the music and just want an excuse to give the finger to mainstream. I did that in college, still in many cases do it today, only I don't limit myself just to the mainstream anymore, and no longer require a label to define me when I do give someone the finger. I just like to think they are amazed to have been shafted by Troy and I can take a true pride in knowing it was all me and only me.)

Yet ICP has had some success within the mainstream industry. They have been shown on MTV, they have been invited to the video music awards and other peer awards shows. I would certainly say they are respected within the music industry, just not accepted in mainstream culture. I won't do any prediction because history has shown that what the mainstream adopts really has nothing to do with a subcultures desires or views of what should happen. Tattos, rock n roll, jazz, mozart, environmentalism; all of these started as subculture movements, now they are a part of the american daily life. Ironically most americans have no idea what any of those things represented or the traditions that go with them.

“Agent of Chaos”

Since: Feb 09

Somewhere

#33 Feb 6, 2009
True. There's no telling how things might go from here. I've already seen ICP's influence on other medias. Check out the comic 30 Days of Night: Bloodsucker Tales for an ICP reference in the vampire clown gang called the Zero Family Circus. Or in the Adult Swim show Superjail, there's a side character that looks like Violent J in the episode "Cold Blooded". I'm sure there are more, those are just the recent one's I've spotted.

ICP has become an icon in the American culture, albeit an underground one. They may not be considered mainstream, though they have come close, but the mainstream cannot ignore their presence.
troy luginbill

Dravosburg, PA

#34 Feb 7, 2009
"but the mainstream cannot ignore their presence." This is one of those crux comments that really sums up a situation without going into the detail.

ICP and Juggalos have come to an interesting crossroads regarding the mainstream. Some are trying to take the path of violence, others are trying to take the path of cultist, while others are trying to find respect and identity without subverting the original underground intent. Most, however just want to be left alone.

As artists ICP has made a strong statement about mainstream vs. subcultures in the US. They have done it consistently and long enough that non-Juggalos have begun to listen, opening the door to hangers on who would subvert that message for their own ends. The US does have a history of mainstreaming subcultural genres, some successfully, others not so much. At least one role Juggalos can play is to help ICP keep the art pure to ICP and not let it get watered down. I know many Juggalos don't like a formal definition of their community, but simply acting to keep alternate interpretations from warping the art is not a definition, nor is it limiting through labels.
JuGgAlO

Omaha, NE

#35 Apr 2, 2009
Azloid wrote:
<quoted text>
well yes, they aren't doing it for free, and nobody would. but they aren't like making millions and buying mansions and things. the money goes back into psy records to make videos, to make new albums, to pay all the ppl that work the warehouse, street teams, the artists, etc. of course they make money, but not mainstream sellout money. we wouldn't get new psy artists like boondoxxx and the like without money coming in, plus they put on wfoff radio for us, plus i don't buy merch, but those that do like it.
icp did try to sell out ages ago, with lets go all the way, off bizaar, and it was played on mtv, and they lost half of the juggalos because of it. then they wanted to get rid of blaze, and twiztid said blaze goes, we go, and then icp settled buy making madrox and mono dons alongside vj, s2d, and alex. and then the f*** mtv started coming out from everywhere to regain their underground status. but i forgive 'em.
violent j and shaggy 2 dope both make a round 9 million a year so yeah be rich i still <3 icp no matter whut i wont stop listenign to them just not here new shit jus the old shit WHOOP WHOOP
Dooby Scoo

Fort Worth, TX

#36 May 14, 2009
LETS GO MUTHA FUCKAAA wrote:
I really wouldnt care, in fact Id like it =P
THATS F****** BULL SH*T IF U WER A TRUE JUGGALO YOU WOULD RATHER WATCH UR OWN HOUSE BURN THEN SEE ICP GO MAINSTREAM. ITS F*GS LIKE YOU THAT GIVE ICP A BAD REP.

“Agent of Chaos”

Since: Feb 09

Somewhere

#37 May 14, 2009
And you type with capslock and call other juggalos fake because of a personal view without actually discussing it.

Looks like you've got it backwards there, sheepalo.

MrRight

“Searching for the TRUTH”

Since: May 09

J-Town

#39 Jun 8, 2009
Jokers Smile wrote:
And you type with capslock and call other juggalos fake because of a personal view without actually discussing it.
Looks like you've got it backwards there, sheepalo.
Yes children, don't offend the mooch. He is the see all know all tell all of the Juggalo's. ICP actually endorses him for their on the road cu* tester.
Ninjalotus

Springfield, OR

#40 Aug 14, 2009
Dude IM an old school ninja myself I wont stop showing my love but ICP sold out get over it yall!!They said "f*** the mainstream" but yet have the mainstream perform at the gathering and collab with them thye were on vh and believe it or not mtv (yeah they are underground *rolls eyes*) fuck rednecks they signed one but its not the redneck that bothers me its the talking trash about mainstream and than they do shit with mainstream the ying yang twins were at the GOTJ!!ICP forgot why they started and people that have told me TWiztid are a bunch of pricks and barely talk to the fans they call Fam!!So whatever call me what you will but your talking to an old schol fucking ninja that has seen how much its changed since they started they lied to the fans I love the fam and ICP but yet hate that ICP lied to us!!I found real underground KYP SKR and METAL
CristaLette

Springfield, VA

#41 Sep 13, 2009
Yea, man i know alot of juggalos that are saying they wont be juggalos anymore, not that their fake just cuz it goes against everything they said, and disrespectful to us, ICP is going to lose alot of fam over this, but we know being a juggalo isnt about ICP, but their pretty much the leader, then to go mainstream?..wtf, their commercial said "lets go all the way",:(( ima cry lol. WHOOP WHOOP, damn hipocrits, hope they stay true, someone said write to psychopathic records, and get ICP to read it. MMFWCL
Juggalo Pope

Brooklyn, NY

#42 Sep 14, 2009
the only thing goin mainstream is GOD
Dissapointed

New Albany, OH

#44 Oct 24, 2009
Ninjalotus wrote:
Dude IM an old school ninja myself I wont stop showing my love but ICP sold out get over it yall!!They said "f*** the mainstream" but yet have the mainstream perform at the gathering and collab with them thye were on vh and believe it or not mtv (yeah they are underground *rolls eyes*) fuck rednecks they signed one but its not the redneck that bothers me its the talking trash about mainstream and than they do shit with mainstream the ying yang twins were at the GOTJ!!ICP forgot why they started and people that have told me TWiztid are a bunch of pricks and barely talk to the fans they call Fam!!So whatever call me what you will but your talking to an old schol fucking ninja that has seen how much its changed since they started they lied to the fans I love the fam and ICP but yet hate that ICP lied to us!!I found real underground KYP SKR and METAL
Totally agree, i have been down for countless years, shit aint like it used to be. Its rather sad. People do need to open there eyes and see the truth about it. I miss the ringmaster days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Insane Clown Posse Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 'Insane' Clown ... Last Post Wins A Posse Jun 22 _FLATLINE-------- 1
Faygo in Phoenix Mar '17 GCU 1
suicide hotline call. song playing while many i... Jan '17 Savere101 1
help me find a song (Jan '12) Dec '16 Dsmith 5
News Fans or gang? Meet the Juggalos (Aug '08) Sep '16 KottonMouthKing4Life 912
News Woman's finger severed, man charged with mayhem (Sep '16) Sep '16 Kev from Michigan 1
News Comcast-TWC merger worries, outrages consumers (Feb '14) Jul '16 DNH 54
More from around the web