WRIF hoopla haunts Drew Lane

WRIF hoopla haunts Drew Lane

There are 63 comments on the The Detroit News story from Apr 24, 2008, titled WRIF hoopla haunts Drew Lane. In it, The Detroit News reports that:

“I talked to a syndicator who thought it'd be a winner”

Once the king of morning radio, now he's the talk of it, as well as the subject of gossip in offices all around Metro Detroit. via The Detroit News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Detroit News.

here here

Ann Arbor, MI

#22 Oct 4, 2008
I would hate to get up at 3:30 in the a.m. start work at 6:00 and be done by 11:00. wait, i do get up ate 3:30 start work at 4:00 work till 4:30 and have been doing twenty years wah!!!!!.
TruthBeTold

Lima, OH

#23 Oct 4, 2008
mikeblows wrote:
Mike Clark is horrible--with his cigarette induced laugh--HAW, HAW, HAW!!!!! He was always a "yes man" when drew was there, just agreeing with everything Drew would say. He knows nothing about anything except planes/flying.and it is so disgusting to listen to him kiss Mickey Redmond's ass during hockey season. Tries to make it sound like he knows sports--Please!!!!
Doug Podell and arthur P have got to go as well!!!!
I totally agree!

Mike is sooo boring on that show...he drags on and on about nothing, and thinks he is interesting.
eric

United States

#24 Oct 12, 2008
Mike Clark is good but not as the lead man. He's not as good without Drew to play off. It's a shame that WRIF couldn't work something out to keep them together. Their show was the best thing on Detroit radio. Does anyone know if Drew and Mike are still friends?
YOHON

Trenton, MI

#25 Oct 13, 2008
I like drews mike, I have long listens for them 10 years. Laugh in morning to car and works Miss goodbye to him for a the long good times to us. Sad Days when empty and need a knew radio.
YOHON

Trenton, MI

#27 Oct 13, 2008
maestro48239 wrote:
<quoted text>
you need a dictionary also, i wont even point out all the errors
Sorry, for my english is not my first language.
I take school to learn.
Please point out! I learn of this.
Hooper

United States

#28 Oct 13, 2008
Who in the hell still listens to commercial terrestrial radio?
Hooper

United States

#29 Oct 13, 2008
YOHON wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, for my english is not my first language.
I take school to learn.
Please point out! I learn of this.
Sorry, English is not my first language.
I'm taking it in school.
Please point out my grammatical mistakes. I can learn from this.
YOHON

Trenton, MI

#30 Oct 14, 2008
Thank You Hooper. I will make a better sentence for my friend Maestro48239. He make angry for a dictionary, but i come here to say be friends. This world of too much hate. To stangers to.
drew writing

Hamilton, Canada

#31 Oct 15, 2008
I have found Drew writing for a sports magazine here www.inplaymagazine.com
He is usually within the first few pages.
Amy Hyes

United States

#32 Dec 3, 2008
First get your facts straight! Drew did not leave because of a Drug habit at all. His fiancee was very ill and Drew was simply burnt out after so many years of early Morning radio and success. Sometimes talent needs time to step back and re group. Lets say Drew does havea drug issue - he is WRIF's cash cow and they would be foolish to think they could fire him nor would they.

Paleasee The king of radio and one of the most talented men to grace the radio waves could never be fired duhhh! They would have done anything to keep him and I happen to know this fo a fact.

He resigned on his own terms period!
TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of shit your eyes are brown!
Amy Hyes

United States

#33 Dec 3, 2008
Mike Wolters is not Mike Clark honey!
So at least you have that part wrong duhhhh!

Mike in the morning is hosted by Mike Clark not Mike Wolters!

Mike Wolters was their long time Producer and one of the voices that contributed. Mike Wolters is still on the show primarily doing Sports but still adding a laugh or voice when necessary. and still directing production.

At least get the names right and their roles.
Whatever wrote:
The show will suck without him!
Mike Walters blows as a front man, and was pretty bad as a second banana too.
Oh and didn't Drew want to change shifts because of his finance's cancer?
Drew was good in the morning, but would have been just as good in the afternoon too. Enough with that washed up Arthur-P and his insipid bu..bu..bu...baby crap!
I hate hearing this old moron yelling through the radio all the time and acting as if anyone cares! You are insignificant Art, retire already!
Amy Hyes

United States

#34 Dec 3, 2008
Have you been drinking?

Have you ever done Morning radio for 20 years with all the same ups and downs in your personal life as Drew Has?

For your ignorant information Drew got up that early and sorry but he worked until late. He didn't have the luxury to leave at 11 am or even 2 pm.

There is unbelievable work that goes into a #1 Morning show let alone a tiny one. His work never ended did you know that?

When they are not on the air they are doing hours and days of show production (prep)

We all love great shows because they make it look easy! Only the great ones do. They do it for you jerk! Naturally they want to succeed and make themselves proud in the process too.

You sound jealous!

Think about this - Drew Lane has busted his ass to be where he is and he didn't get there by being lazy or lucky. Good old fashion hard work got him there!

If you do not like your hours Quit or find another Job.

People like you are jealous that you are in a crummy job and jealous Drew picked out a careeer for himself and made it happen by his determination. talent. humor, creativity and dedication to his craft.

He has not once asked you to feel sorry for him nor has he said anything negative about you at all.

Now go get started on a career you love - it can be done! Go for it!!! Honestly I am all for you finding the right career that you'll love.
here here wrote:
I would hate to get up at 3:30 in the a.m. start work at 6:00 and be done by 11:00. wait, i do get up ate 3:30 start work at 4:00 work till 4:30 and have been doing twenty years wah!!!!!.
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

#35 Dec 4, 2008
Amy Hyes wrote:
Mike Wolters is not Mike Clark honey!
So at least you have that part wrong duhhhh!
Mike in the morning is hosted by Mike Clark not Mike Wolters!
Mike Wolters was their long time Producer and one of the voices that contributed. Mike Wolters is still on the show primarily doing Sports but still adding a laugh or voice when necessary. and still directing production.
At least get the names right and their roles.
<quoted text>
Amy you are very high strung, and all of my comments were in favor of Drew, so light the F up already!

As far as getting the names wrong...who cares really? You knew who I meant, I described who I meant, so relax already. The show is so insignificant now, that it really doesn't matter much anyways.
bs killer

Melvindale, MI

#36 Feb 10, 2009
tainted wrote:
lol, thats my story, im stikin to it
Drew left the show originally because he basically had to choose between taking care of his girlfriend and doing the show.
He never came back because the management (Podell and others) kept making promises that they would move the show to afternoons. This of course never happened because the should-be-retired Penthallow refused to give up his time slot.
WRIF has sucked for years. The Drew and Mike show was the only thing I listened to. Now that it's Mike in the Morning I have no reason to listen anymore.
MIM is all about stockings, who can pick on Mike the worst (actually the best because he's just asking for it), sluts, and planes.
I hope WRIF goes down in flames with Podell being the first one to feel the heat.
Tony from Temperance

AOL

#37 Feb 14, 2009
Did Drew land on the radio anywhere? Is there a "link" to his new show?
Drew Blows

Macomb, MI

#38 Feb 17, 2009
To say that MIM is anywhere near what it was when Drew was there is just laughable. Mike was great as a second fiddle to Drew. He added the fluff and raunch that the show needed. Drew could intelligently speak about pretty much any topic and still be crude. He set the tone of the show. Being the leader and the one who just simply cared more than Mike. How many times was Mike late for his job, thats kind of sad. Its not like he is just a producer or sound tech,, his name is on the show and Drew and the listeners had to wait for him? Sure everyone is late sometimes, but he was pretty chronic there for awhile. He got better near the end of Drew's run though. Drew, you could tell put more thought into the show and was working quite diligently to make it what it was. Now Mike has Trudy to help full time and now Wolters or Fellhower or whoever the producers were have moved them to the forefront to help Mike out. He is a great person, just doesn't have the chops to be a true leader, he is piggybacking on what they built as Drew and MIke. He could never go to another radio station and get his own show. Mike should thank Drew for letting him ride his coat-tales and parlay that into a plum spot. Looking back, they simply were a great TEAM, they each had their strengths and they used them to make simply one of the best shows in radio. Sure, people loved them, but i think it took Drew leaving to realize how good they were together and how lucky the listeners of metro Detroit were to have them in their lives.
JIMMYZ

Las Vegas, NV

#39 Feb 25, 2009
Did Doug Podell leave WRIF? I see he is not on there web page anymore?
devildog2033

Westland, MI

#40 Mar 8, 2009
I listen to D&D on WCSX now in the morning since Mike has driven WRIF mornings into the ground, and I heard them intro Doug about some new Beatles stuff a few weeks ago, I think he's there now (same parent company). Carlini has been doing his shift for a couple of months now. I think Podell pulled some strings to get his daughter the gig on Chanel 4 as the traffic girl (I wonder how he'd feel about Arthur-P visually raping her like he does the WRIF girls?) and it bothered some of his management. Notice how fast she went from being the morning traffic reporter to the "drive time" reporter? I wish I had a semi-famous dad to get me a cool job...

Oh well, morning show sucks without Drew, and I too am sick of Mike's lechery and non-stop self centered crap. D&D are back people, mornings on CSX- and they are infinitely funnier than Mike ever could be.
matt

Grand Blanc, MI

#41 Mar 12, 2009
all you crying babies, get over it, if you dont like it change the station... im sure wnic needs more dueche bags to listen to there station... wrif rocks.
bs killer

Melvindale, MI

#43 Mar 18, 2009
Well Matt, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unfortunately for you, yours shows a complete lack of intellectuality. If you're happy listening to someone talking about planes and whores on a non-stop basis then so be it.
In case you haven't noticed, Detroit radio doesn't have too much to offer.
At least when Z-Rock when in town we had another option.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard Stern Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Howard Stern predicts Trump will win GOP nod: '... Aug 24 YouDidntBuildThat 2
News 'Howard Stern Show' contributor Eric 'The Actor... (Sep '14) Sep '14 leavehimalone 2
News Robin Quivers -- Eric the Actor Finally Got Wha... (Sep '14) Sep '14 leavehimalone 1
News 'Cake Boss' creation one of stars at Howard Ste... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Bonnie Esquivel 1
News Howard Stern turns 60 (Feb '14) Feb '14 Bonnie Esquivel 1
News People In The News | The Columbus Dispatch (Dec '10) Nov '13 tweedledick 2
News Dorothy Lucey's Farewell On 'Good Day L.A.' (May '12) Oct '13 leanne 30
More from around the web