Obama And Hip-Hop: Where Will The President-Elect Stand On Rap ...

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Barack Obama was in his last year of high school in 1979 when hip-hop broke out of the ghettos of New York on its way to becoming a national phenomenon.
Comments
21 - 39 of 39 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DeathrowIsTheGre atest

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

Otis Day wrote:
I'm sure the president-elect has his radio tuned to Snoop, Lude and Murphy Lee .... just like the current prez has his tuned to Chopin, Rachmanninoff, and mozart ... I'll bet the halfrican really listens to some plantation station ...
Well actually, believe it or not. Barak Obama does have a few Jay-Z songs on his I-pod/MP3 player.

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Since: Nov 08

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

jo jo wrote:
<quoted text>
The brothers spit the tune
but the white man wit the money
hatch the plan
Liberals tell the hood that they are opressed
that is understood
Keep the homie down, the real drug they push
is the gay rights clown
now gay rights I'm glad you left the flo open..
how the hell else was he to get the homos votin?
Now you can say all you want to down Obamas name..
But how much better would it be with president Mccain?
Now think hard before say just what your thinkin holmes..
Cause I got friends stuck in the war who just wanna come home..
And though I give you props for all your creativity..
what I dont see. is your view or words impressin me..
America the beautiful Land of the free..
Free to vote for Obama that's why you mad at me..
larry g

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
you know what your right about that alotta rappers I see have just one talent..alot of the guys where I'm at buy their beats from people and use beats that have already been hit songs..without paying a damn copyright...that doesn't help us real hip hop enthusiasts out at all...so you got a point too..peace man..
good luck

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

larry g wrote:
<quoted text>
good luck
thanks..with the way things are goin in the industry..I'll need it...

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

jo jo wrote:
<quoted text>
The brothers spit the tune
but the white man wit the money
hatch the plan
Liberals tell the hood that they are opressed
that is understood
Keep the homie down, the real drug they push
is the gay rights clown
hy where'd you go? I thought we were havin fun dude?
jo jo

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
hy where'd you go? I thought we were havin fun dude?
Homies at da king o camp
got da black hood vote
latino homies too
not hip to da street
not know they not down
wit da gay beat in cali
gays hip=hop in the road
act like a friggin toad
spray paint da church
wit gay gang signs no
now they mad at king o
and the homies paid the dough ??
to vote for the black man who
may keep the gay blades in the trash can !

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

jo jo wrote:
<quoted text>
Homies at da king o camp
got da black hood vote
latino homies too
not hip to da street
not know they not down
wit da gay beat in cali
gays hip=hop in the road
act like a friggin toad
spray paint da church
wit gay gang signs no
now they mad at king o
and the homies paid the dough ??
to vote for the black man who
may keep the gay blades in the trash can !
Yo that's pretty funny homie..
and this fact is evident..
some people think he's heaven sent
the first black president..
still some others think he's devilish
they got the right..
so they in forums postin that he's the antichrist..
yo that's crazy talk I wont believe a thing they say..
that aint the christian way it feels more like the KKK..
they got cross smashin gays in cali that's a fact..
Didn't get what they wanted now they tryin to blame the blacks..
the gays gettin married idea belongs in trash can..
marriage vows aint supposed to say I now pronounce you man and man..
jo jo

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
they got the right..
This one is kinda good ! smooth !!!
larry g

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
they got the right..
very good , you might make it

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

larry g wrote:
<quoted text>
very good , you might make it
THANKS DUDE

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

jo jo wrote:
<quoted text>This one is kinda good ! smooth !!!
thanks man ...just havin fun ...check me out anytime...
manawanga

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Obama's presence on the scene creates an chance to change the direction of hip hop. However, the direction of hip hop was set by the record companies not the listeners. Gangster rap became the biggest music in America because Americans want to believe that black men are always gangsters entertainment has always meant violence in the USA. That is why most of us don't know how to understand that Obama is just a black man who went to school and thinks everyone should be healthy. Hip hop will not change until Clear Channel stops owning all the radio stations. Notice that you will hear 3 songs today by lil wayne and t-payne whether you want to or not. Go to the gym, the clothing store, the mall, or turn on your tv and there is wheeezy. Brought to you with no political opinion on reality 24 hours a day!
manawanga

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Obama's presence on the scene creates an chance to change the direction of hip hop. However, the direction of hip hop was set by the record companies not the listeners. Gangster rap became the biggest music in America because Americans want to believe that black men are always gangsters. Entertainment has always meant violence in the USA. That is why most of us don't know how to understand that Obama is just a black man who went to school and thinks everyone should be healthy. Hip hop will not change until Clear Channel stops owning all the radio stations. Notice that you will hear 3 songs today by lil wayne and t-payne whether you want to or not. Go to the gym, the clothing store, the mall, or turn on your tv and there is wheeezy. Brought to you with no political opinion on reality 24 hours a day!

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

manawanga wrote:
Obama's presence on the scene creates an chance to change the direction of hip hop. However, the direction of hip hop was set by the record companies not the listeners. Gangster rap became the biggest music in America because Americans want to believe that black men are always gangsters entertainment has always meant violence in the USA. That is why most of us don't know how to understand that Obama is just a black man who went to school and thinks everyone should be healthy. Hip hop will not change until Clear Channel stops owning all the radio stations. Notice that you will hear 3 songs today by lil wayne and t-payne whether you want to or not. Go to the gym, the clothing store, the mall, or turn on your tv and there is wheeezy. Brought to you with no political opinion on reality 24 hours a day!
ha dass 4 real ill cosign that ..
Richard Gobbler

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

give ganstya rappers the right to their gay marriages !!

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

Richard Gobbler wrote:
give ganstya rappers the right to their gay marriages !!
with a name like gobbler it's obvious your a troll, nameless faceless many all rolled up into one.tell me cause as a straight man I wouldn't know..what causes a person like you to spend their days changing identity's to randomly post racial hatred obsessing over one individual? Is it a form of envy or do you have some kind of homsexual tendencies?I'm just wondering cause you seem to marvel at going to my profile page and oggling my photo, then following me from forum to forum attempting to go unnoticed. but alas the Jig is up the percentage of sane rational people far outweighs the distorted amount of extremists that are represented her in topix because of your many aliases.you alway's seem to be a step behind....but you will alway's be.Until you can step from behind your computer and go out in the world and experience things.It's impossible that someone with such a ridiculously narrow mind the type to make that comment would be smart enough to even turn a computer on...
so go ahed do what the name say's go gobble something..
mimi

Malvern, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

my fellow black people, dont be ignorant by assuming that Obama wants anything to do with Hip Hop, at the end of the day Obama is black in the way The Knowles/The Banks/ The Cosby's are black, he is not urban and so by assuming that hes going to serve as some sort of representative for black music is just plain foolish.

The sort of musicians Obama will be interested are Jayonce' and their daughter Rihanna who have cross over commercial appeal why the hell is he going to promote artists who use profanities in every other sentence and who are anti-establishment, i doubt "fuck the po po" will do much to help the cause of talented but irrelevant rappers who are good but are overshadowed by the commercialites (Jay Z, Kanye, Wayne, 50.)
mimi

Malvern, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

manawanga wrote:
Obama's presence on the scene creates an chance to change the direction of hip hop. However, the direction of hip hop was set by the record companies not the listeners. Gangster rap became the biggest music in America because Americans want to believe that black men are always gangsters. Entertainment has always meant violence in the USA. That is why most of us don't know how to understand that Obama is just a black man who went to school and thinks everyone should be healthy. Hip hop will not change until Clear Channel stops owning all the radio stations. Notice that you will hear 3 songs today by lil wayne and t-payne whether you want to or not. Go to the gym, the clothing store, the mall, or turn on your tv and there is wheeezy. Brought to you with no political opinion on reality 24 hours a day!
Exactly, gangster rap was not banned because it was just another way of enforcing another black stereotype and we blacks were dumb enough to fall for it, instead of supporting black artists who dont embarras us like Beyonce', we treat them as being less black than other black people because her European attributes which then tells black children that to be black means to be one shade when we ALL know we are far more complex and diverse than that.

to be honest- the majority of people supporting Obama arent aware that Obama isnt there to represent black urban culture but is there to represent succesful black people as well all succesfull people of all races.
PowerOfSpokenWor d_com

Luling, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

President Barack Obama Tells Nas 'He Does Still Care'
Did everyone see the inauguration speech? I thought it was inspirational. Obama is really going to help this country. As for his music preferences, I think he can learn something from listening to some of these lyricists. I'm a big Common, Talib, etc. fan as well. I wrote a post about Obama's speech and tied it to the song "Black President" by Nas.
Check it out here. Let me know what you think: http://www.powerofspokenword.com/2009/01/pres...
Best,
PowerOfSpokenWord.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hip Hop Discussions

Search the Hip Hop Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
top 10 diss songs of all time (Dec '07) Nov '13 Kurupt 22
Rick Ross, Eminem, Kanye West, 2Chainz.Now Brus... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Timeslegend 1
raps (Battle or just freestyle anything) (Oct '12) Oct '12 RappinRollerCoaster 2
Choclair’s major label release (Apr '12) Apr '12 Anonymous 1
Generation Y (Feb '11) Feb '11 National Whistleblower 1
Wyclef Jean: I'm Qualified to Lead Haiti (Aug '10) Sep '10 Franco Mathias 8
Michael Steele admits GOP has been using race f... (Apr '10) Aug '10 Edthirty 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••