Obama And Hip-Hop: Where Will The Pre...

Obama And Hip-Hop: Where Will The President-Elect Stand On Rap ...

There are 39 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 18, 2008, titled Obama And Hip-Hop: Where Will The President-Elect Stand On Rap .... In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Barack Obama was in his last year of high school in 1979 when hip-hop broke out of the ghettos of New York on its way to becoming a national phenomenon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
carmstrong

Sunderland, MD

#1 Nov 18, 2008
The artists who seek to change the image of hip-hop have been marginalized for far too long. While Talib Kweli, Common, Mos Def and the like draw crowds, they don't garner the street cred that artists like T.I., 50 Cent, or T-Pain largely because of the difference in attitude and message.

What I like about the more lyrical and insightful artists is that they have remained subversive while preaching a new direction. The mainstream always appropriates the subversives but artists such as Common and Talib Kweli, etc., have really gained some ground in the past few years. Hopefully, while Obama does have much better things to focus on, he will serve as a catalyst for a more positive message to underlie the stylings and lyrics of hip-hop.
think about it

West Hartford, CT

#2 Nov 18, 2008
Obama mother was a white woman and in the eyes of many, He is WHITE. His mother, grandmother and family are white except for the father that he saw once in his life. HE IS A 1/2 white and 1/2 black man.
Raceisobsolete

Redondo Beach, CA

#3 Nov 18, 2008
think about it wrote:
Obama mother was a white woman and in the eyes of many, He is WHITE. His mother, grandmother and family are white except for the father that he saw once in his life. HE IS A 1/2 white and 1/2 black man.
I'm not sure what you meant to imply by making it clear that Obama is not entirely white. I also remain unclear as to what "eyes of many" you speak of that consider him to be WHITE--or why that has anything to do with how he views the content of hip hop.
Do white people have a problem with hiphop because of its content? Are white people banding together to oppose hiphop culture because it uses the "n-word" to often?
Do you see white people making any attempt to stop using the n-word themselves? For that matter, do you see black people making any attempt to stop using the n-word either?
I think one can easily answer "no" to every question posed here. Obama is married to a very strong, intelligent, and supportive black woman--making his family very much aligned with values generally associated with black culture. HOWEVER, at the end of the day, I'm sure he's more interested in teaching his daughters how to be influential, purposeful members of society--not how to be "black".
I'm Black...and Irish...and Native-American...go figure...I listen to hip hop, classical, techno, drum and bass...I attended Trinity College in Hartford, CONNECTICUT. I graduated, and then attended New York University where I got a master's degree in International Relations--all before the age of 23. I've never been arrested, but I've been racially profiled and harrassed by whites--rather frequently in Connecticut, to be honest.
I grew up in a black neighborhood in Southern California. I've lost family members to the bane of gang violence. I read Sartre and Proust, as well as Baudrillard and Emerson. Tupac Shakur is one of my favorite artists.
Does this sound entirely typical to you??
Until it does, better yet, until you're capable of seeing a person for who they are, and not what COLOR they are, you should refrain from relying on someone's race as an indicator of their socio-cultural perspective.
Racism won't die until people, like yourself, stop judging people based on THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. Develop an imagination, then challenge it to observe people without relying on your uncanny knack for racial identification.
Racism is ridiculous, and so was your comment!
Philo

East Hartford, CT

#4 Nov 18, 2008
rap
for people who
can't sing...
can't play musical instruments....
DeathrowIsTheGre atest

Utica, KY

#5 Nov 18, 2008
If Barack is all about the Old School Rap and rap music form the Pac Biggie days then more power to him!!!!!!!!!! That was back when Rap music was by far at it's best!!!!!!!!!! He needs to get the record industry to dig up more Pac and Biggie (especially Biggie)live performances & uncensored music videos. So the record companies can make more music video/live performance DVD of Pac and Biggie. And the same goes for Snoop, Dre, Kurupt, Tha Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, Warren G, Lady Of Rage, Outlawz all of Deathrow Records, Wyclef Jean, RUN-DMC if were talking about concerts here, Whodini, Kool Mo Dee, House Of Pain, Eazy-E (Concerts only), LL Cool J, Canibus, Junior MAFIA, Puff Daddy/P Diddy, Mase, Lil' Kim, Naughty By Nature, NWA (Concerts only), HWA, Kokane, The DOC, Das EFX, Sylk-E-Fyne, Queen Pen, 69 Boyz, Ice Cube (Concerts only), Mack 10 (Concerts only), West Side Connection, Outkast (Concerts only), The Lost Boyz, Yo Yo, MC Lyte, Will Smith (concerts only), C+C Music Factory, Marky Mark, Black Moon, Mob Deep, Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Above The Law, Method Man, Redman, Eric B & Rakim, EPMD, Nas, Getto Boys, MC Breed, MC Shann, Skee-lo, Wu Tang (Concert Only), ODB, Ice-T, 2 Live Crew/Luke (concerts only), Big Punisher, Fat Joe, and Coolio. I know it's a tall order for a pres, but it sure would be nice to see these artist make some more concert/music video DVD's

And just for the record, I though Obama was a Hawaii native.
Otis Day

Durham, CT

#6 Nov 18, 2008
I'm sure the president-elect has his radio tuned to Snoop, Lude and Murphy Lee .... just like the current prez has his tuned to Chopin, Rachmanninoff, and mozart ... I'll bet the halfrican really listens to some plantation station ...
larry g

Gwynn Oak, MD

#7 Nov 18, 2008
Philo wrote:
rap
for people who
can't sing...
and have no talent , rap - the non music

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Since: Nov 08

Yo Mom's Mouth

#8 Nov 18, 2008
Philo wrote:
rap
for people who
can't sing...
true it is easier than singing and playing instruments ..but some rappers can sing I can...

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#9 Nov 18, 2008
larry g wrote:
<quoted text>
and have no talent , rap - the non music
I don't know about this have no talent part..I rap, sing , play, keyboard, compose, and am a qualified engineer.so I dont know about this no talent thing, in fact what's your talent?

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#10 Nov 18, 2008
carmstrong wrote:
The artists who seek to change the image of hip-hop have been marginalized for far too long. While Talib Kweli, Common, Mos Def and the like draw crowds, they don't garner the street cred that artists like T.I., 50 Cent, or T-Pain largely because of the difference in attitude and message.
What I like about the more lyrical and insightful artists is that they have remained subversive while preaching a new direction. The mainstream always appropriates the subversives but artists such as Common and Talib Kweli, etc., have really gained some ground in the past few years. Hopefully, while Obama does have much better things to focus on, he will serve as a catalyst for a more positive message to underlie the stylings and lyrics of hip-hop.
this is true we need more posotivity in rap..I remember when it was all posotive..nowadays if your clean they call you a b*&ch..It's difficult for a young black man trying to get his music heard gettin turned down with his just cause the message is on the posotive note..It causes me to
be more gritty with my raps..how's this? I stay on the west coast and I was told by some industry cats that I gotta be less intellectual if I wanna sell more CD's..you believe that?

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#11 Nov 18, 2008
Philo wrote:
rap
for people who
can't sing...
so what kinda talents you got?
Matt Smith

Newington, CT

#12 Nov 18, 2008
This is such a joke!
Who cares about his feelings for rap music? first of all, its just music...despite it's popularity it holds no ground in reality. what does it matter what they are saying?

And the even bigger issue..this comes down to RACE. nobody would give a flying F if he wasn't african american. The fact that people have to hide their racial implications by looking at his standpoints on clearly racially defined issues is just sad. Get a life.

This is the exact reason why i cancelled my subscription to this paper.
larry g

Gwynn Oak, MD

#13 Nov 18, 2008
Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about this have no talent part..I rap, sing , play, keyboard, compose, and am a qualified engineer.so I dont know about this no talent thing, in fact what's your talent?
I apologize , I over stated , most rappers I see
have not one bit of talent and can't sing .
If you can sing , play , compose and engineer than I consider you an entertainer that raps . Just rapping takes no talent .

I have NO MUSICAL TALENT AT ALL , but I know music and have been listening to good music for 57 years and I can't stand rap
jo jo

Anchorage, AK

#14 Nov 18, 2008
Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
this is true we need more posotivity in rap..I remember when it was all posotive..nowadays if your clean they call you a b*&ch..It's difficult for a young black man trying to get his music heard gettin turned down with his just cause the message is on the posotive note..It causes me to
be more gritty with my raps..how's this? I stay on the west coast and I was told by some industry cats that I gotta be less intellectual if I wanna sell more CD's..you believe that?
Yes, completely !!!
jo jo

Anchorage, AK

#15 Nov 18, 2008
I am sure that King Obama will do absoutly noting about RAP and in fact I fully expect to see Snopp dog on King o's staff. After all, Rap is cool, ya all. It's accepted in the mainstream. Former rappers are moveie stars like Queen Latifa and many others. Killing, hating women and all the rest is acceptable today like almost anything. Thats how King o got elected ! Obama is an "angry black man" so he must do some rappin' too.

Yo Yo, I done pulled da wool over dem eyes
Dog, u know, I got not a lot to show
but the homies spoke, now I'm the bloke
that will make the country go broke

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#16 Nov 18, 2008
jo jo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, completely !!!
yeah it's crazy...the most messed up part about it is when I did that( simplify my wording) people were feelin me way more talkin about yo that was hott man that new track you got...crazy..
so I'm going with it for now...

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#17 Nov 18, 2008
larry g wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize , I over stated , most rappers I see
have not one bit of talent and can't sing .
If you can sing , play , compose and engineer than I consider you an entertainer that raps . Just rapping takes no talent .
I have NO MUSICAL TALENT AT ALL , but I know music and have been listening to good music for 57 years and I can't stand rap
you know what your right about that alotta rappers I see have just one talent..alot of the guys where I'm at buy their beats from people and use beats that have already been hit songs..without paying a damn copyright...that doesn't help us real hip hop enthusiasts out at all...so you got a point too..peace man..

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#18 Nov 18, 2008
broker than it already is?
that be impossible..
since what bush did to americas Tush.
O aint the obstacle..
O is the first ever president,Half black man..
He aint even in office just give him a chance man.
after 400 yrs of blacks being untrusted...
they tryin to down a brother who aint even f&cked up nothin...

“facebook.com/tre .tru”

Yo Mom's Mouth

#19 Nov 18, 2008
jo jo wrote:
I am sure that King Obama will do absoutly noting about RAP and in fact I fully expect to see Snopp dog on King o's staff. After all, Rap is cool, ya all. It's accepted in the mainstream. Former rappers are moveie stars like Queen Latifa and many others. Killing, hating women and all the rest is acceptable today like almost anything. Thats how King o got elected ! Obama is an "angry black man" so he must do some rappin' too.
Yo Yo, I done pulled da wool over dem eyes
Dog, u know, I got not a lot to show
but the homies spoke, now I'm the bloke
that will make the country go broke
that be impossible..
O aint the obstacle..
jo jo

Anchorage, AK

#20 Nov 18, 2008
Hip Hop Hero wrote:
<quoted text>
that be impossible..
O aint the obstacle..
The brothers spit the tune
but the white man wit the money
hatch the plan
Liberals tell the hood that they are opressed
that is understood
Keep the homie down, the real drug they push
is the gay rights clown

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Hop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
top 10 diss songs of all time (Dec '07) Nov '13 Kurupt 22
Rick Ross, Eminem, Kanye West, 2Chainz.Now Brus... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Timeslegend 1
raps (Battle or just freestyle anything) (Oct '12) Oct '12 RappinRollerCoaster 2
ChoclairÂ’s major label release (Apr '12) Apr '12 Anonymous 1
Generation Y (Feb '11) Feb '11 National Whistleb... 1
News Wyclef Jean: I'm Qualified to Lead Haiti (Aug '10) Sep '10 Franco Mathias 8
News Michael Steele admits GOP has been using race f... (Apr '10) Aug '10 Edthirty 8
More from around the web