High-tech border project said ready f...

High-tech border project said ready for use

There are 349 comments on the www.reuters.com story from Feb 22, 2008, titled High-tech border project said ready for use. In it, www.reuters.com reports that:

A high-tech "virtual fence" on part of the U.S. border with Mexico is finally ready for service and the technology can fight illegal crossings all along the frontier, the Homeland Security chief said on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.reuters.com.

First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

United States

#1 Feb 22, 2008
So use it already. Border Agents ready? National guard on alert - they even there yet by the way. Employers of illegals ready to shit your pants when you are arrested also; close your doors on repeat offenses? Give it a go. Se what we paid 20 mil for.
Common Sense

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 22, 2008
At least it is better than a real fence which is reminisence of the cold war and the wall in germany, now the wall erected in isreal.

The better way to handle the illegal immigrants is to force and fine businesses that hire illegal immigrants VERY HEAVY fines for hiring undocumented workers. Look at europe which has many countries were people travel among daily. One must have a workers permit to be able to work which controls most of the immigrants.

Better enforcement of this in the U.S. should curtail this since not having the proper documents would make it harder for people to live here if they are not able to get a job.

Simple common sense.
white hair

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Feb 22, 2008
Maybe they can find the rest of the holes in the walls!!! How about A Pardon for the two BORDER PATROL men sentenced to prison,given back their weapons and told to shoot any sneak coming across ??? Of course they also get back pay,return in rank,law suits closed in their favor an apoligy?????
boba

Hendersonville, TN

#4 Feb 22, 2008
We must all contribute to stop this invasion.. When I see a business that has lots of Hispanic employees...I call the business and ask if they have any illegals working for them. first you hear silence...then a lot of evasive sputtering answers. it really throws them. I do the same thing with landlords. And I do notice a reduction in illegals.
If we ALL did it..Just think...If we get rid of just ONE illegal in our community......

The bottom line is that it's going to be up to the citizens to stop this.
Silver Dollar

Seattle, WA

#5 Feb 22, 2008
I hope it ZAPS them with a powerful laser and make them explode! Zap! Zap!.. Like a big Mexican Bug Light. zap! zap.!
Lance Winslow

United States

#6 Feb 22, 2008
Silver Dollar wrote:
I hope it ZAPS them with a powerful laser and make them explode! Zap! Zap!.. Like a big Mexican Bug Light. zap! zap.!
All she's a gonna zap is yer tax dollars.

United States

#7 Feb 22, 2008
Just had a school bus in SD hit by an illegal in a van without a license - killed a couple wounded a bunch.

Since: Dec 07

United States

#8 Feb 22, 2008
Silver Dollar wrote:
Or in the alternative: Make the laser interactive with the 'eyes' that pick them up. Kinda like a video game. Make it so that you can log onto their computer system and give out the password to the teenager online video game community. Give these kids several two liter bottles of Pepsi and a case of ding-dongs. Turn em loose. The eventual stench from the grease build up in the firing zone would be horrific tho. Eeeeeeewwwww.
john

Overland Park, KS

#9 Feb 22, 2008
white hair wrote:
Maybe they can find the rest of the holes in the walls!!! How about A Pardon for the two BORDER PATROL men sentenced to prison,given back their weapons and told to shoot any sneak coming across ??? Of course they also get back pay,return in rank,law suits closed in their favor an apoligy?????
You are correct. They are heroes!

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Feb 22, 2008
boba wrote:
We must all contribute to stop this invasion.. When I see a business that has lots of Hispanic employees...I call the business and ask if they have any illegals working for them. first you hear silence...then a lot of evasive sputtering answers. it really throws them. I do the same thing with landlords. And I do notice a reduction in illegals.
If we ALL did it..Just think...If we get rid of just ONE illegal in our community......
I've called the INS when I see out-of-state pickup trucks or vans and a bunch of hispanics working on a roof or lawn... I think everyone should do the exact same thing. Kick all the illegals out!!!
john

Overland Park, KS

#11 Feb 22, 2008
boba wrote:
Call ICE and report them so they can deport them!
A phone today can make a Mexican go away.
john

Overland Park, KS

#12 Feb 22, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
At least it is better than a real fence which is reminisence of the cold war and the wall in germany, now the wall erected in isreal.
The better way to handle the illegal immigrants is to force and fine businesses that hire illegal immigrants VERY HEAVY fines for hiring undocumented workers. Look at europe which has many countries were people travel among daily. One must have a workers permit to be able to work which controls most of the immigrants.
Better enforcement of this in the U.S. should curtail this since not having the proper documents would make it harder for people to live here if they are not able to get a job.
Simple common sense.
Cold war fences were built to keep people in the country. The USA should build one to keep people out.
Disgusted

Anniston, AL

#13 Feb 22, 2008
wyojake wrote:
So use it already. Border Agents ready? National guard on alert - they even there yet by the way. Employers of illegals ready to shit your pants when you are arrested also; close your doors on repeat offenses? Give it a go. Se what we paid 20 mil for.
Nah--when it JUST HAPPENS to be functioning and the monitor is not a sleep-- might get some good pictures as the Illegal Aliens keep crossing over.

It worthless unless it functions and there is BOOTS on the ground to physical take care of the Illegal Aliens crossing over.

They know, film, take picture RIGHT NOW all along the Border of Illegal Aliens Crossing the Border---but there are not enough BOOTS on the ground to stop it---just some to play cop with a few as the others crossing go on their merrily way to the USA heartland.

So what this going to change---some better pictures or film of them crossing or what?

Build a REAL FENCE the entire length of the Mexican Border and put the
Active Duty Military on the Mexican Border with Orders no one or thing crosses except at authorized crossing points.

Would not cost much more than building this thing and spending money to maintain it enough for it to work some time.
The old man of the Sea

Sunnyside, NY

#14 Feb 22, 2008
This I hope is an answer to a problem no one wants to address, but who will deliver the pizza?

United States

#15 Feb 22, 2008
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah--when it JUST HAPPENS to be functioning and the monitor is not a sleep-- might get some good pictures as the Illegal Aliens keep crossing over.
It worthless unless it functions and there is BOOTS on the ground to physical take care of the Illegal Aliens crossing over.
They know, film, take picture RIGHT NOW all along the Border of Illegal Aliens Crossing the Border---but there are not enough BOOTS on the ground to stop it---just some to play cop with a few as the others crossing go on their merrily way to the USA heartland.
So what this going to change---some better pictures or film of them crossing or what?
Build a REAL FENCE the entire length of the Mexican Border and put the
Active Duty Military on the Mexican Border with Orders no one or thing crosses except at authorized crossing points.
Would not cost much more than building this thing and spending money to maintain it enough for it to work some time.
true. the fence is only 32 mil a mile. Could probably engineer it for less.
john

United States

#16 Feb 22, 2008
but we stil need someone to pick them up and send them home

Since: Dec 07

U.S.A.

#17 Feb 22, 2008
Maybe they will use this service and pick them off one by one with lasers.No, I suppose it will turn out to be pig belly money again. You have to have humans involved, maybe robots yea that is it.
Yada

Cookeville, TN

#18 Feb 22, 2008
Well this is the first installation of assaultive border technology that will kill people caught coming in illegally.

Nobody wants to say it just yet.
Silver Dollar

Seattle, WA

#19 Feb 22, 2008
TierraChild wrote:
<quoted text>Or in the alternative: Make the laser interactive with the 'eyes' that pick them up. Kinda like a video game. Make it so that you can log onto their computer system and give out the password to the teenager online video game community. Give these kids several two liter bottles of Pepsi and a case of ding-dongs. Turn em loose. The eventual stench from the grease build up in the firing zone would be horrific tho. Eeeeeeewwwww.
That is simply brilliant. Tapping into the talents of our teen gamsters. I saw a news story about a big game ranchin Texas that had remote control rifles that could be controlled via the internet. You pay your money and get to shoot real animals in Texas!

The technology is already there, you just need to convince someone in Homeland Security to run with it.
camille

Des Plaines, IL

#20 Feb 22, 2008
TierraChild wrote:
<quoted text>Or in the alternative: Make the laser interactive with the 'eyes' that pick them up. Kinda like a video game. Make it so that you can log onto their computer system and give out the password to the teenager online video game community. Give these kids several two liter bottles of Pepsi and a case of ding-dongs. Turn em loose. The eventual stench from the grease build up in the firing zone would be horrific tho. Eeeeeeewwwww.
This is a valuable contribution that our teenagers can make to protect our country.

However, IMO this virtual fence is nonsense. How is this going to deter any of them from trying to sneak over? Once they are here we then have to send BP agents to catch them and transport them back across the border- what a waste of time and money! Build a fence. Bring in the Israelis for technical assistance and put up a barrier based on the design they use. Keep them out!
This virtual fence will stop no one. They need to install one of those neon signs that McDonald's use to have announcing that they had sold X number of millions of hamburgers. The virtual fence sign can display the an ongoing count of the number of millions of illegals that have swarmed into our country. And how much the bill for all of them is going to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hillary Clinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 3 min WasteWater 3,484
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 4 min Bert 1,175
News How can I get involved in the Hillary Clinton c... 25 min fmer505-1951 26
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 30 min Fukanig 289
News Clinton campaign hits Trump for seeing Brexit a... 52 min Chilli J 56
News Donald Trump: Brexit is sign of independence de... 53 min gritz 219
News Bush gets testy over 'anchor babies' term (Aug '15) 1 hr Shiloh 5
More from around the web