Who had both the Beatles and the Ston...

Who had both the Beatles and the Stones on the very same TV show? Clay Cole did

There are 15 comments on the www.examiner.com story from Nov 24, 2009, titled Who had both the Beatles and the Stones on the very same TV show? Clay Cole did. In it, www.examiner.com reports that:

It was a booking coup any TV host would have loved to have -- the Beatles and the Rolling Stones on your TV show on the same night. T.V. host Clay Cole says the Stones-Beatles show was a product of being in the right place at the right time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.examiner.com.

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

#1 Nov 24, 2009
Sad how Clay erased the tape of that night's show, what a loss to music history.
Too bad Clay didn't appreciate the Beatles and Stones, they were not just a fad.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#2 Nov 24, 2009
awc wrote:
Sad how Clay erased the tape of that night's show, what a loss to music history.
Too bad Clay didn't appreciate the Beatles and Stones, they were not just a fad.
What a stupid thing to do, hey? The respective Dick Rowe regarding to TV personas? Well, maybe not because Rowe rejected the Beatles but signed up the Stones. After Sir George Martin's advice. Anyway, he could have made a fortune out of it, no?

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

#3 Nov 24, 2009
Hi Greg,
Hard to beleive anyone could not see the potential both groups had in their early years, in fact Clay thought the Stones were better musicians, but the Beatles were better songwriters, and even predicted the Stones would last longer, but said the Stones didn't wear deodorant and smelled of sweat.
I think the competition betwween the Stones and Beatles was healthy, it gave them the drive to create deeper.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#4 Nov 24, 2009
The guy was picturesque. Yes, this competition and the image made by their managers the "good boys" vs. the "bad boys" or vice versa, helped their popularity and record sales especially in Britain. Jagger(but not Brian Jones) always had in little respect the Beatles whilst on the other side the Beatles liked and respected so much the Stones, mainly their performance and the sound that was primitive, compared to that of the Fabs. Lennon had said that they reminded him of how the Beatles were before Brian put them in suits. In Hamburg and at Cavern I assume.

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

#5 Nov 24, 2009
Never knew Jagger felt like that, I always thought he respected and admired the Beatles.
And yea the Stones had a raw gritty sound, the guitar on "It's all over now" proves that, but the rawness is what made them who they are.
Dylan and the Beach Boys were a bit of competition too, but nothing like the Stones, they were a blues/rock band, where as the Beatles were rock with a bit of pop (in their early songs, pre Rubber Soul).
Greg

Athens, Greece

#6 Nov 24, 2009
He was jealous of them, simple...Maybe he thought that the Stones were greater and the Beatles had "Silly love songs", who knows?
rushme

Copake, NY

#7 Nov 24, 2009
brian jones was the early leader of the stones lennon was also for the beatles.but drug use changed their sound that never really returned. just listen to the old recordings, to later.
Proud Suburbanite

Rochester, NY

#8 Nov 28, 2009
Mick and Keith killed Brian - they got him drunk/drugged and drowned him in his own pool.
The band was his originally, he named it, Mick was jealous that Brian got the chicks and could pick up an instrument and learn it in a few days and be able to perform. They hijacked the band from him, got him kicked out and off'd him so not to share in royalties or a lawsuit later on.
Jack Zippy

United States

#9 Nov 28, 2009
awc wrote:
Never knew Jagger felt like that, I always thought he respected and admired the Beatles.
And yea the Stones had a raw gritty sound, the guitar on "It's all over now" proves that, but the rawness is what made them who they are.
Dylan and the Beach Boys were a bit of competition too, but nothing like the Stones, they were a blues/rock band, where as the Beatles were rock with a bit of pop (in their early songs, pre Rubber Soul).
I'm not so sure of that.I think Mick Jagger admired the Beatles he was with them at their feet when they did the All you need is Love Video.He was with John at that Rock and roll Circus and Kieth even played with Lennon in the Dirty Mother Band.Mick and some of the Stones were with them in India also.I don't think there was any bad feelings between The Beatles and Stones or we would of heard about it on the anthology tapes.What I heard Paul say is that they gave the Stones I want to be your man to recorded by them.He also said they all dressed mod and had simalar taste.The Stones were more into early Blues.
Zig Ziglar

Garland, TX

#10 Nov 28, 2009
Proud Suburbanite wrote:
Mick and Keith killed Brian - they got him drunk/drugged and drowned him in his own pool.
The band was his originally, he named it, Mick was jealous that Brian got the chicks and could pick up an instrument and learn it in a few days and be able to perform. They hijacked the band from him, got him kicked out and off'd him so not to share in royalties or a lawsuit later on.
I never knew that,but I did know Mick killed Keith Moon,John Bonham,Bob Marley,Peter Tosh,Jfk,Elvis,Charlie Chaplin,Mohammed Atta,Michael Jackson,Ben Laden,Lorne Greene,Chuck Connors,Richard Boone,John Wayne Gacy,J.Edger Hoover,Howard Hughes,Steve McQueen,Ed Sullivan,Spiderman,Dean Martin,Tupac,Flip Wilson,Carrol o' Connor,Bea Arthur,Harry Chapin,Johhny Carson,Elizabeth Montgomery,Don Knotts,Eartha Kitt,Robert Johnson,James Doohan,MLK,Oswald,James Earl Ray,Mr. Hooper,Mr. Rogers,Barry Goldwater,Rin Tin Tin,Anwar Sadat,Alistair Crowley,Moe Howard,Spanky McFarland,Peter Jennings,Hugh Beamont,Bob Denver,John Denver,Walter Kronkite,Vincent Price,Jim Varney,Boris Karlof,Morris the cat,Murray the K,Jeffrey Dahmer,Billy the Kid,Ted Kennedy,Jesse James,Bonnie Parker,Denver Pyle,Clyde Barrow,John Dillinger,Terry Southern,Jack Kourak,Lightning Hopkins,Sam Phillips,Johnny Cash,John Ritter,Richard Nixon,Karen Carpenter,Bud Abbott,Lou Costello,Harry Carey,Lenny Bruce,Jack Ruby and last but not least a six pack of Coors light.
Jack Zippy

United States

#11 Nov 28, 2009
Proud Suburbanite wrote:
I've heard different theories on Brian-Yes he was very talented and got chicks but back then the whole band did especially Bill Wyman.I think their was some fueding going on but they all drank and did drugs especially Kieth.I think Brian split from them and drowned on his own the others didn't feel they had to babysit him 24 hours a day.Just like Kieth Moon they just did too much in too much excess sad loss of talent indeed.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 28, 2009
Zig Ziglar wrote:
<quoted text>I never knew that,but I did know Mick killed Keith Moon,John Bonham,Bob Marley,Peter Tosh,Jfk,Elvis,Charlie Chaplin,Mohammed Atta,Michael Jackson,Ben Laden,Lorne Greene,Chuck Connors,Richard Boone,John Wayne Gacy,J.Edger Hoover,Howard Hughes,Steve McQueen,Ed Sullivan,Spiderman,Dean Martin,Tupac,Flip Wilson,Carrol o' Connor,Bea Arthur,Harry Chapin,Johhny Carson,Elizabeth Montgomery,Don Knotts,Eartha Kitt,Robert Johnson,James Doohan,MLK,Oswald,James Earl Ray,Mr. Hooper,Mr. Rogers,Barry Goldwater,Rin Tin Tin,Anwar Sadat,Alistair Crowley,Moe Howard,Spanky McFarland,Peter Jennings,Hugh Beamont,Bob Denver,John Denver,Walter Kronkite,Vincent Price,Jim Varney,Boris Karlof,Morris the cat,Murray the K,Jeffrey Dahmer,Billy the Kid,Ted Kennedy,Jesse James,Bonnie Parker,Denver Pyle,Clyde Barrow,John Dillinger,Terry Southern,Jack Kourak,Lightning Hopkins,Sam Phillips,Johnny Cash,John Ritter,Richard Nixon,Karen Carpenter,Bud Abbott,Lou Costello,Harry Carey,Lenny Bruce,Jack Ruby and last but not least a six pack of Coors light.
I heard he tried to kill Tiger Woods, but ol Tiger had his lucky rabbit's foot hanging from his rear view mirror.

Since: Feb 08

Midwest USA

#13 Nov 29, 2009
Brian Jones was probably murdered by a guy he contracted to work on his house. The guy confessed on his death bed also about drowning him.

Beatles and Stones were different styled bands. Beatles were straight rock n roll while the Stones put a lot of R&B into their songs. They were both great bands and I feel the guy was incredibly blessed to have both of them on the show. He was also quite clueless in erasing the tapes of that show.
Greg

Athens, Greece

#14 Nov 29, 2009
Sometime during the sixties Mick said that Beatlemania will be over soon and we'll be the number one group, or something like that. Then, John in his R.S. interview refers to Mick:"Despite what Mick says about us, we were performers etc...".
Greg

Athens, Greece

#15 Nov 29, 2009
By the way I don't know who is responsible about Jones. I don't think Mick and Keith were involved. Brian Jones was the most talented Stone in my opinion, especially as a musician. But it doesn't mean that the others killed him for that! And something else:I think that the Beatles admired the Stones in a higher degree than the Stones...They never changed their sound, they had that "Rock and Roll" presence and attitude in a few words they were like the Beatles before Brian. That's my opinion. For my part, I like the Beatles more...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herman's Hermits Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Devon Journal published Hermits bring gol... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Peter Noone 2
News Classic Pop, Rock & Country News, Sept. 10 (Sep '10) Nov '10 Nanci 5
Hey any Gerry and the Pacemaker fans out there? (May '10) May '10 Anonymous 1
News News Details (Jul '09) Jul '09 IVAN CALAMATTA 1
News Colonial season highlights (Mar '09) Mar '09 sigh 1
News Beach Goers Exposed (Aug '08) Aug '08 Sabes 1
News British Invasion set for May and June (Apr '08) Apr '08 RADIO AFULA 1
More from around the web