Guest Commentary -- Is anyone reading...

Guest Commentary -- Is anyone reading the classics?

There are 29 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Guest Commentary -- Is anyone reading the classics?. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

Guest Commentary -- Is anyone reading the classics? One semester in college, an instructor of mine was discussing narrative styles within literature.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jul 27, 2010
You are not alone in discovering the dumbing down of the public schools by the forces of darkness in America. Science and math teaching are even worse than that for literature. Physics, the parent science, is not taught in 95% of the US high schools. 80% don't offer Chemistry, Biology and General Science are often taught by untrained people. Why?

The unions will not let the school districts pay science and math people more money than those trained in PE or anything else. Where an engineer or mathematician can be making six figures in business or industry in five years he or she will not ever see that figure in education unless they become administrators and leave the classroom.

This is the reason the general public believe in such frauds as Evil DDT and Freon(tm), The Ozone Hole and Anthropogenic Global Warming. They are science illiterates; in a dark age.

CO2 is a trace gas in the atmosphere, by definition insignificant. Water vapor absorbs seven times as much IR energy per molecule and has 200 times as many molecules as CO2. It has 1400 times the effect on air temperature as CO2 and accounts for 99.9% of all atmospheric heating, but if you say this in mixed company, that including Democratics, members of a party named with a verb, you will be assaulted, lied about, accused "He's not a scientist!" in spite of credentials, publications, film productions or whatever you've done by people who cannot read an absorption chart or understand E =(h X c)/w where E is energy, h is Plancks constant, c is the speed of light and w is wavelength. Or explain the atmosphere in terms of Le Chatelier seeing that CO2 is insignificant.

Ignorance is the most expensive attribute you can have and we are learning that daily as America crashes around us in a Democratic operation to make government a bigger part of your life to the point where you are totally dependent on it. These are people who hate America the way it succeeds and will do anything to destroy it and remake it in their sick image.

San Francisco, CA

#3 Jul 27, 2010
Lowell Grant wrote:
From an article pertaining to literature and the failures of our current educational system, to yet ANOTHER rant about CO2.
Teachers in California who want to teach single subject need to have credentials in those subjects last I heard. It's been 10 years since I've been involved but unless the rules have changed, that is the case. I agree that many who are teaching today may not be great teachers, but at least in California you can't just walk into a classroom and start teaching without being qualified.
School Districts can allow exceptions to such rules when they cannot get qualified teachers and put anybody in the classroom as long as they have a Secondary Credential in any subject matter area. For them it is a "stroke of a pen."

Where the unions will not allow districts to pay more for people who can survive the rigors of a science curriculum instead of seeing them go off to business and industry where their skills and intellects will be properly paid for this will be the case. In my class 30 students started as Physical Science majors with a few more declaring in Chemistry than Physics. Six of us finished due to the difficulty of the course and lab work while PE people played games and the Social Science people talked for four years, as your writer has noted, learning little.

Lowell Grant does not like what I say and thinks I should not have right to say it so he refers to my "rants," declares I am not a scientist, claims my children will not speak to me and hints that I am a "racist." He is a real Democratic, a member of a party naming itself with a verb. Yes, he is a member all right....

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jul 27, 2010
Gee, you can't even use "C o m m i e" on this controlled system. So much for freedom of expression. When will they get to detect lies? Oh darn, that would block almost everything Lowell Grant writes.
private

United States

#7 Jul 27, 2010
I was going to comment on the subject but I see Adrian as usual has screwed the whole thing up. the great works of literature paint pictures in the mind helping the reader see things from other points of veiw. It also can be entertaining and informative. And then there's Adrian
Adrian Vance

San Francisco, CA

#9 Jul 27, 2010
Lowell Grant wrote:
Ah, yes we WERE discussing FICTION! "when Republicans were controlling spending" ROFLMAO!!!!!
When the Republicans controlled the House, from where all spending bills must originate, the deficit was never over $200 billion and I agree that was too much, but The Obama politburo, Rahm Emanual Chair., got in charge the first deficit was over $1 trillion Dollars! That's a 1 followed by 12 zeros! And, it means $6250 added to your taxes, but it will be deferred to become $12,500 and they will try to pay it off at the printing press which means your life savings come to zilch, zero, zip, nada! And that is what you want for America Democratic Lowell Grant?

Isn't it time for you to get into your green long johns, don your yellow beach towel cape and stand at the corner of 11th & Main for folks to jay-walk and shake your hand for your "Weakly Column?" Or is it the day you don your black stove pipe hat, put on your black cape, grab your cane and evict widows with small children from houses you sold them with Barney Frank/Chris Dodd "free money," Lowell Grant? Yes, you are a real Democratic.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#10 Jul 27, 2010
Sorry Amigo, that is a total LOAD! W doubled the debt in his 8 years, 6 of which were total repub controlled in congress too. The costs of the war were NEVER included in his budgets either. Fact...OVER 90% of the debt that existed the day Obama was sworn in was accumulated during the terms of 3 Presidents, Reagan, Bush, Bush.

As we see, it takes more than a bare majority to get anything done in congress. The Dems, of course, roll over and beg not to be beaten like the cowards they are, the repugs use their thug jack boots to stomp the halls of Congress.
Adrian Vance

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jul 27, 2010
According to USgovernmentspending.com US surplus/deficits in billions were: 2000AD +$200, 2001 +$100, 2002 -$200, 2003 -$350, 2004 -$400, 2005 -$300, 2006 -$250, 2007 -$200, 2008 -$400, 2009 -$1,800, 2010 -$1,250
I agree Bush spent too much. I would have nuked Baghdad and put five more on Afghanistan. End of story:
We only won WWII by killing everyone in Hamburg, Dresden, etc. Tokyo and Hiroshima, etc. Nukes are cheap, men and families are not. But, the point is that Communist Obama is out to crush capitalism and Lowell Grant cannot see it.
Lowell Grant will be among the first to go when the Peoples Republic of Obama Commissars come to rule the area. They love to hang rich people and he cannot see it.
Obama is spending and insulting us to violence so he can declare martial law and suspend elections. That is the only way he can stay in power. Wake up, you're going to lose your Studebaker, your green long johns and your nasty life.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#12 Jul 27, 2010
Obama isn't even a liberal, despite the fiction of the reichwingnuts.

My "nasty" life? Really? I babysat my 2 month old granddaughter for 2 hours this morning while Mom was at the dentist across the street. Taking my daughter and her hubby out to dinner tomorrow to celebrate her 30th birthday. Spent Sunday morning at the ranch with my son and his family. Have a Rotary meeting tonight and again at lunchtime tomorrow with good friends who are leaders in the community.

Now, I guess your life is MUCH more full and rewarding alone in the dome, but hey, you were stupid enough to go there, That's what you get.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#13 Jul 27, 2010
Obama isn't even a liberal, despite the fiction of the reichwingnuts.

My "nasty" life? Really? I babysat my 2 month old granddaughter for 2 hours this morning while Mom was at the dentist across the street. Taking my daughter and her hubby out to dinner tomorrow to celebrate her 30th birthday. Spent Sunday morning at the ranch with my son and his family. Have a Rotary meeting tonight and again at lunchtime tomorrow with good friends who are leaders in the community.

Now, I guess your life is MUCH more full and rewarding alone in the dome, but hey, you were stupid enough to go there, That's what you get.

I guess when you step on your own peeness it hurts too much to type!?! LOL!
another person

Pleasanton, CA

#14 Jul 27, 2010
Aren't these posts the Classics?
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#16 Jul 28, 2010
I take that as a compliment of the highest order coming from you, my heartfelt thanks!

"Yes, it has been a roller coaster, Lowell Grant, but I have made contributions and all you do is parasitic."

You have made contributions? No kidding? How?

I am past president of the Lakeport Rotary club, we have done local projects, most recently putting in all new seating at the Clearlake High football stadium, replacing 40 year old wooden bleachers with brand new aluminum seating for about 3,000 spectators. A few years ago we jackhammered out all the concrete steps in front of the gym and replaced them with concrete handicapped access ramps and planters. We also do national projects and international projects like investing several $billion towards eradicating polio from the planet. I have personally donated thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of labor with the club.

I was in the Lakeport Kiwanas club for years, again another service club. I was elected to my local school board 3x. I worked for years in the field of environmental impact reports and then for the Air Quality Mgt. District. I served as Director of the Tobacco Coalition to reduce smoking. I served on the Lake County Latchkey committee to help children in after school programs. I currently serve on the Board of Directors of Lake County Vector Control. I raised 2 great kids who have both contributed to this community with their own businesses and I am still close to both, sharing a wonderful caring and loving relationship.

I have contributed both my time and my money to this community, so once again you seem to purposely step on you own peeness as other than mean spirited, ignorant, misleading and vile utterances you have done virtually nothing to contribute to this community. You really are an idiot or a masochist. Or both.
Joke

Clearlake, CA

#17 Jul 28, 2010
Lowell Grant wrote:
From an article pertaining to literature and the failures of our current educational system, to yet ANOTHER rant about CO2.
Teachers in California who want to teach single subject need to have credentials in those subjects last I heard. It's been 10 years since I've been involved but unless the rules have changed, that is the case. I agree that many who are teaching today may not be great teachers, but at least in California you can't just walk into a classroom and start teaching without being qualified.
Credentialing has not improved anything. In fact performance has gone down. Steady downhill run since Gerry Brown.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#18 Jul 28, 2010
I agree that the State of California was in MUCH better shape when Jerry Brown was governor, of course, he was actually a fiscal CONSERVATIVE who refused to waste money on the mansion, instead renting his own apartment and paying for it himself. Ahnult is in the mansion, spending huge bucks. Wilson and Duke lived in it too. At least we have a chance to get back to someone who doesn't just posture about being a fiscal conservative but actually lives it!
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#19 Jul 28, 2010
I take that as a compliment of the highest order coming from you, my heartfelt thanks!

"Yes, it has been a roller coaster, Lowell Grant, but I have made contributions and all you do is parasitic."

I am past president of the Lakeport Rotary club, we have done local projects, most recently putting in all new seating at the Clearlake High football stadium, replacing 40 year old wooden bleachers with brand new aluminum seating for about 3,000 spectators. A few years ago we jackhammered out all the concrete steps in front of the gym and replaced them with concrete handicapped access ramps and planters. We also do national projects and international projects like investing several $billion towards eradicating polio from the planet. I have personally donated thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of labor with the club.

I was in the Lakeport Kiwanas club for years, again another service club. I was elected to my local school board 3x. I worked for years in the field of environmental impact reports and then for the Air Quality Mgt. District. I served as Director of the Tobacco Coalition to reduce smoking. I served on the Lake County Latchkey committee to help children in after school programs. I currently serve on the Board of Directors of Lake County Vector Control. I raised 2 great kids who have both contributed to this community with their own businesses and I am still close to both, sharing a wonderful caring and loving relationship.

I have contributed both my time and my money to this community, so once again you seem to purposely step on you own peeness as other than mean spirited, ignorant, misleading and vile utterances you have done virtually nothing to contribute to this community. You really are an idiot or a masochist. Or both.

Looks like his foot got his tongue and fingers all tied up AGAIN! LOL!
Liz Arndt

San Francisco, CA

#20 Jul 28, 2010
Good Grief Charlie Brown!(For those who don't read, Charlie Brown was a character in a daily cartoon strip called Peanuts, penned by Charles Schultz)

It is a shame that schools have become soooo dumbed down. Especially in Calf. In 50's I came to this state from Ohio. I was in 6th grade. They were learning things in math, English, history & lit that was covered in Ohio's 3rd grade. And now it is even worse!

In dumbed down Calif. Jr. High we had to read Mill on the Floss, Moby Dick, Tale of the Ancient Mariner, Ivanhoe. Now Conan the Barbarian is considered a classic.

It serves all politicians well to keep their constituents ignorant, only able to understand the simplest sound bites. That makes the boZos think they are informed, when actually they've been told nothing in the way of truth or facts. So no matter which party of which you speak, both have plenty to gain by slashing educational budgets to pieces.
private

United States

#21 Jul 28, 2010
Liz Arndt wrote:
Good Grief Charlie Brown!(For those who don't read, Charlie Brown was a character in a daily cartoon strip called Peanuts, penned by Charles Schultz)
It is a shame that schools have become soooo dumbed down. Especially in Calf. In 50's I came to this state from Ohio. I was in 6th grade. They were learning things in math, English, history & lit that was covered in Ohio's 3rd grade. And now it is even worse!
In dumbed down Calif. Jr. High we had to read Mill on the Floss, Moby Dick, Tale of the Ancient Mariner, Ivanhoe. Now Conan the Barbarian is considered a classic.
It serves all politicians well to keep their constituents ignorant, only able to understand the simplest sound bites. That makes the boZos think they are informed, when actually they've been told nothing in the way of truth or facts. So no matter which party of which you speak, both have plenty to gain by slashing educational budgets to pieces.
The only one who benifits from you being smart is you and the ones you love. Criminals, corporations and politicians love uneducated people. Don't count on the system. Educate yourself.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#22 Jul 28, 2010

Looks like his foot got his tongue and fingers all tied up AGAIN! LOL! Ain't it amazing how he's avoiding this link now that he's stepped into it up to his neck?
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#24 Jul 28, 2010
You are a demented, delusional perpetrator of hatred and ignorance. You libeled me here for over a YEAR before my first response. I deal in truth, you are a lanced boil spewing diseased puss.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#25 Jul 28, 2010
At what point in the dressing down you so richly deserved and begged for did I mention your kids? You are the dirt beneath my feet.
Lowell Grant

Richmond, CA

#28 Jul 28, 2010
BTW, neither of my children work for me! Once again, you just can't help but be the lying sack you are!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herman Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stage Door: A Whale, Two Brothers and a Beast (Nov '15) Nov '15 oooahabooo 1
News On This Day: Melville's "Moby-Dick" Published i... (Apr '13) Apr '13 muhhamed 1
What happened to Fayaway (Faiaoahe) (Aug '09) Feb '13 Celestialsailor 9
News Who's Yer Daddy?: Gay Writers Celebrate Their M... (Dec '12) Dec '12 DNF 1
News Why Arabs are so easily Offended (Sep '12) Oct '12 Zontormasterof1 14
News Artists reflect Melville and Hawthorne (Jun '11) Jun '11 TheVocalLocal 1
News Author Jay Parini, in Herman Melville's Pittsfi... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Homey HomeBoy 1
More from around the web