Hanson: The Exclusive Interview

Posted in the Hanson Forum

Dawn F

Topsham, ME

#1 Mar 7, 2007
By Ben Smithwick, Record-Journal

In the summer of 1997, Hanson surfaced with the international hit, MMMBop. Ten years later, the band is still evolving as they prepare to release their new album, The Walk. While the US release date is set for May 22, this past weekend dedicated fans packed Toad's Place in New Haven to hear Hanson play songs off their upcoming album.

The show was one of 4 preview shows that the band is doing to showcase new music. While The Walk has already been released in Japan and the guys are heading there after the US shows, they couldn't leave without getting fans here excited about the album.

"We wanted to do something for the fan base in the States that would give them a chance to hear the new music," said Zac Hanson. "It's about 90-percent new music with a few fan favorites as well."

Taylor echoed Zac's thoughts, saying, "The idea with these shows is really just to get the fans excited about what's coming. It gives us an opportunity to get everybody excited about the new music and get people talking."

Hanson has certainly come a long way since the days of MMMBop. With a successful acoustic tour in 2003 and a number one independent Billboard charting album in 2004 on their own label, Hanson has succeeded independently while staying true to their music as well as their fans.

"Right now is an interesting time in music where it's not as though these few huge labels that have all the answers," said Taylor. "Now as a band I think that the biggest thing is to do as much as you can without a record company, without a label because you can never do too much."

Hanson's advice to up-and-coming bands is to build a strong fan base, make records and tour on their own because ultimately, powerful independent labels will come to them.

"You can never be too focused on playing live or getting out there and building up fan bases. You can reach a lot of people that way," Taylor said.

Although they have learned a lot along the way, the Hanson brothers have always known from the start what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it.

"We've always had big dreams and big visions of what we were going to get done and we were just lucky to have things go our way to where we were able to achieve a lot of our goals at the early point in our career," said Isaac. "We don't do anything as people and with our music that we don't feel 100% proud of and that has continued to be our motto."

Zac chimed in, saying, "I think we're lucky in that being successful so young we were able to keep each other grounded and keep each other from losing sight of the reason we started making music in the first place."
Check out an exclusive video interview of Hanson by Ben Smithwick of the Record-Journal on www.myrecordjournal.com !

Topsham, ME

#2 Mar 20, 2007
Dawn....Thanks for posting this! I went to the show and they are truly AMAZING. I love Hanson.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flashback! Watch Hanson make TODAY debut in 1997 (Apr '15) Apr '15 musicjehad 1
News All grown up: Hanson still catering to its fans (Oct '13) Oct '13 The Truth 6
News Jonas Brothers: The boys have a band (Jul '09) Aug '13 RiotAct666 15
News LV Music: Review: Hanson shows a lot about itse... (Nov '10) Nov '10 hennypennyhag 2
News Former Eastview High School musicians get song ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 How very very cool 2
News Justin Bieber Is 16 (Mar '10) Sep '10 Calco 3
News Devoted Hanson Fans Camp Out At Tulsa's Cain's ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Taylor 1
More from around the web