Mermaid statue draped in Muslim dress

Mermaid statue draped in Muslim dress

There are 29 comments on the The Macon Telegraph story from May 21, 2007, titled Mermaid statue draped in Muslim dress. In it, The Macon Telegraph reports that:

Unknown offenders put a Muslim dress and head scarf on the famed Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen early Sunday May 20 2007, police said. via The Macon Telegraph

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Macon Telegraph.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 06

Springfield, VA

#1 May 25, 2007
Again???

With all due respect to my muslim friends here, this is a cultural thing regarding the mermaid. It is the symbol of Denmark in many ways. I do not find it apropriate to do this at all. Just as it is wrong to chop off her head. That has been done opteen times too in the past.

I wish people would just leave her alone.
Templar

Chisinau, Moldova

#2 May 25, 2007
Lusen wrote:
Again???
With all due respect to my muslim friends here, this is a cultural thing regarding the mermaid. It is the symbol of Denmark in many ways. I do not find it apropriate to do this at all. Just as it is wrong to chop off her head. That has been done opteen times too in the past.
Some day they could blow the statue up, because islam forbids any portrayal of humans and animals. As they did with those statues of Buddha in Afghanistan.

Springfield, VA

#3 May 25, 2007
Templar wrote:
<quoted text>
Some day they could blow the statue up, because islam forbids any portrayal of humans and animals. As they did with those statues of Buddha in Afghanistan.
I doubt they would do that. If they do they would have to deal with Lusen...no fun task :)
Danetoo

UK

#4 May 25, 2007
LOL ... They BETTER not blow up the Mermaid ... Hans Christian Andersen and Holger Danske would come after them ...

They would rise from their tombs and definitely be up and fighting for the Vikings once again !!!

Only the Irish stood up to the Vikings ... a bunch of muslims are not going to be any match ~L~

http://hca.gilead.org.il/holger_d.html
Curiosity

Leamington Spa, UK

#5 May 25, 2007
At least she is not hiding behind a veil.She looks like Mary,the mother of Jesus.Their efforts has turned the Mermaid into a Christian.
Hardhead

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#6 May 25, 2007
As usual, you fabricate a story, you believe in it, then you name muslims, then you keep defaming them without any basis that support your actions.
This all a fear of Islam.
But all this will no avail.
Islam every minute gets a foothold world-wide.
The only think you can do,join it to be part of it.
I can tell you a story which is very related to your situation. There was a Arab christian girl she used to come daily to school with the bible and she kept reading part of it and some time she wrote a verse on the blackboard for muslim girls. This was her habit for more than 11 years. After secondary level she immagrated to USA,Taxes for study. She kept the habit of reading the bible to muslim students in the same class during the break time. However after some time she became a muslim and kept reading the Qu'ran to christan students.

Springfield, VA

#7 May 25, 2007
Hardhead wrote:
As usual, you fabricate a story, you believe in it, then you name muslims, then you keep defaming them without any basis that support your actions.
This all a fear of Islam.
But all this will no avail.
Islam every minute gets a foothold world-wide.
The only think you can do,join it to be part of it.
I can tell you a story which is very related to your situation. There was a Arab christian girl she used to come daily to school with the bible and she kept reading part of it and some time she wrote a verse on the blackboard for muslim girls. This was her habit for more than 11 years. After secondary level she immagrated to USA,Taxes for study. She kept the habit of reading the bible to muslim students in the same class during the break time. However after some time she became a muslim and kept reading the Qu'ran to christan students.
What are you talking about? I said I found it inapropriate, that's all. As well as it is t chop oiff her head, like many have done in the past. Gee ...try read...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#8 May 25, 2007
Lusen wrote:
Again???
lol...its kind of a national past time to do something the poor lady...the head isnt the original any longer...think her arm was cut of once as well...its kindda like the golden horns of Gallehus...two big horns made of gold made in the 5th century ad...they were stolen back in 18-something and melted to bars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_horns_of_...

Location hidden

#9 May 25, 2007
Templar wrote:
<quoted text>
well...a mermaid isnt really human nor animal...so perhaps she'll make it...
Templar

Chisinau, Moldova

#10 May 25, 2007
Simon DK wrote:
<quoted text>
well...a mermaid isnt really human nor animal...so perhaps she'll make it...
Buddha is also neither human, nor animal. Anywhay his statues were blew up.

“Facts, not fiction”

Since: Apr 07

Earth

#11 May 25, 2007
Templar wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddha is also neither human, nor animal. Anywhay his statues were blew up.
Buddha(s) is (are) very much human.

Location hidden

#12 May 25, 2007
Marco the atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddha(s) is (are) very much human.
well..."were" anyway...now of course im a naive, blind liberal halal-hippie...but I dont think the little mermaid is in any real danger of being blown up...
David

Horsham, UK

#13 May 25, 2007
Simon DK wrote:
<quoted text>
well..."were" anyway...now of course im a naive, blind liberal halal-hippie...but I dont think the little mermaid is in any real danger of being blown up...

I make you right simon, muslim suicide bombers like softer targets like the trains I travel on in London every day - where is the terror in blowing up a statue, nothing like a few dismembered corpses to make "some" muslims happy....

“Facts, not fiction”

Since: Apr 07

Earth

#14 May 25, 2007
Simon DK wrote:
<quoted text>
well..."were"
Some consider Ram Bahadur Bomjon a Buddha, and he is still very much alive. There are also several people who claim to be Buddhas.
Simon DK wrote:
<quoted text>
anyway...now of course im a naive, blind liberal halal-hippie...but I dont think the little mermaid is in any real danger of being blown up...
As David indicated, there are othertargets that will be first.

“Swanie”

Since: May 07

Mililani.

#15 May 25, 2007
If she is full dressed then let undress her, lol.
Hardhead

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#16 May 25, 2007
Lusen wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about? I said I found it inapropriate, that's all. As well as it is t chop oiff her head, like many have done in the past. Gee ...try read...
Hi Lusen,
I hope you're ok.
This post is not for, it's for you those who leave no opprtunity but to insult muslims.
They are the victim of for letters > F.E.A.R of Islam and muslims.(islamophopia)
This has been going on for last 1500 years.
Curiosity

Leicester, UK

#17 May 25, 2007
Swanie wrote:
Not that they sculpted the clothes on her!

Location hidden

#18 May 25, 2007
David wrote:
<quoted text>
I make you right simon, muslim suicide bombers like softer targets like the trains I travel on in London every day - where is the terror in blowing up a statue, nothing like a few dismembered corpses to make "some" muslims happy....
thats true...so far, so good...its 22 years since islamic terrorists struck Copenhagen (which means I dont have any recollections about it)...But I do think its a very real threat...It only takes a few nutters to kill hundreds...

The worst terrorattack on Copenhagen was actually you guys back in 1807...mind you...that was with cannons and rockets rather than dynamite-belts...

Springfield, VA

#19 May 25, 2007
Simon DK wrote:
<quoted text>
thats true...so far, so good...its 22 years since islamic terrorists struck Copenhagen (which means I dont have any recollections about it)...But I do think its a very real threat...It only takes a few nutters to kill hundreds...
The worst terrorattack on Copenhagen was actually you guys back in 1807...mind you...that was with cannons and rockets rather than dynamite-belts...
LMFAO.. good old lord Neilson...LOL .. funny

Springfield, VA

#21 May 25, 2007
Swanie wrote:
Mermaids don't have clothes ... only in Hollywood! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hans Christian Andersen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Icahn makes populist appeal to eBay shareholders (Mar '14) Mar '14 Philip Cohen 2
News Police: Man buys beer, leaves baby behind (Jun '13) Jun '13 San Diego 2
News Unknown Andersen fairy tale found (Dec '12) Dec '12 I fish 28
News Philippines Liveaboard - Hans Christian Anderse... (Jul '11) Jul '11 aswa 2
News Happy Birthday, Hans Christian Andersen, Poet a... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Lucy 2
News Footnotes: Tales of life in a cult (Jun '09) Jun '09 2 eyes wide open 11
News Who will admit the stimulus package has no clot... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Scott 5
More from around the web