Letters: A a thoughtlessa remark

Full story: Bennington Banner

I am writing this letter in response to a comment made by cartoonist, Seth McFarlane.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Mary

Plainville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

it sure was not "just another day" for me and I was not flying anywhere. Wow, that was a thoughtless remark.
Jane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

Mr. Shephard, shame on you. How dare you so inaccurately and maliciously misquote someone? Seth MacFarlane’s response to Dr. Drew’s question was NOT "No, not at all! I’m always late, it was just another day." To put quotation marks around those words is irresponsible since he did not say those words as you have indicated. In fact, the words “it was just another day" were not spoken by him at all. I am sure of this because I still have this show on my DVR and just watched it again. Dr. Drew’s exact words, in reference to Seth missing the flight, were “Did that experience change you at all?” The question was not about the entirety of the events of 9/11. In response to the question asked, Seth’s response was that missing his flight did not change him. He then went on to say that he believes in coincidences, that he does not believe everything happens for a reason. He said that he had missed many flights before that day, and that he is “a chronically late person.”

How is that “heartless” or “thoughtless?” You write “He didn’t say he was grateful for having missed one of the flights that crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11. And he never once said anything along the lines of anything that might honor those brave 3,000 who died.” How would anything like that have been an answer to the actual question asked?

Yes, Mr. Shephard, you made your point, but you made it with a false quote and inferences drawn from a question not asked. Bravo.
Jane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

Reposting in an attempt to correct the odd errors that appear in my original post. My apologies if they occur again.

Mr. Shephard, shame on you. How dare you so inaccurately and maliciously misquote someone? Seth MacFarlanes response to Dr. Drews question was NOT "No, not at all! Im always late, it was just another day." To put quotation marks around those words is irresponsible since he did not say those words as you have indicated. In fact, the words it was just another day" were not spoken by him at all. I am sure of this because I still have this show on my DVR and just watched it again. Dr. Drews exact words, in reference to Seth missing the flight, were Did that experience change you at all? The question was not about the entirety of the events of 9/11. In response to the question asked, Seths response was that missing his flight did not change him. He then went on to say that he believes in coincidences, that he does not believe everything happens for a reason. He said that he had missed many flights before that day, and that he is a chronically late person.

How is that heartless or thoughtless? You write He didnt say he was grateful for having missed one of the flights that crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11. And he never once said anything along the lines of anything that might honor those brave 3,000 who died. How would anything like that have been an answer to the actual question asked?

Yes, Mr. Shephard, you made your point, but you made it with a false quote and inferences drawn from a question not asked. Bravo.
Warner Brothers Star

Stowe, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Jane wrote:
Reposting in an attempt to correct the odd errors that appear in my original post. My apologies if they occur again.
Mr. Shephard, shame on you. How dare you so inaccurately and maliciously misquote someone? Seth MacFarlanes response to Dr. Drews question was NOT "No, not at all! Im always late, it was just another day." To put quotation marks around those words is irresponsible since he did not say those words as you have indicated. In fact, the words it was just another day" were not spoken by him at all. I am sure of this because I still have this show on my DVR and just watched it again. Dr. Drews exact words, in reference to Seth missing the flight, were Did that experience change you at all? The question was not about the entirety of the events of 9/11. In response to the question asked, Seths response was that missing his flight did not change him. He then went on to say that he believes in coincidences, that he does not believe everything happens for a reason. He said that he had missed many flights before that day, and that he is a chronically late person.
How is that heartless or thoughtless? You write He didnt say he was grateful for having missed one of the flights that crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11. And he never once said anything along the lines of anything that might honor those brave 3,000 who died. How would anything like that have been an answer to the actual question asked?
You DVR the Joy Behar show? Seriously?
LSU

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Warner Brothers Star wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you ever sleep ?
Warner Brothers Star

Stowe, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

LSU wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you ever sleep ?
Of course. Do you?????
Jane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

<quoted text>
I recorded that show because of the guests. What's the problem with that? I think it's sad that someone is more concerned with what shows I record rather than the fact that someone was so misquoted and maligned.
Warner Brothers Star

Stowe, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
I recorded that show because of the guests. What's the problem with that? I think it's sad that someone is more concerned with what shows I record rather than the fact that someone was so misquoted and maligned.
You seriously record Joy Behar's show?*That* is really sad.

Misquoted? Maybe, I didn't DVR the show, which is just as well since I don't care for self-induced vomiting.

Maligned?? Not a chance.
911 was bad

Middlebury, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Big deal. So what if we all didn't join the army or become born-again Christians after 9/11. Other stuff has happened before and since, believe it or not.
Jane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

<quoted text>
You seriously record Joy Behar's show?*That* is really sad.
Misquoted? Maybe, I didn't DVR the show, which is just as well since I don't care for self-induced vomiting.
Maligned?? Not a chance.
Are you just pretending not to read? I do not record The Joy Behar Show all the time. I recorded it on that particular night because of the guests and I was not going to be home to watch it. I certainly hope that explanation suits you. It is still sad that you are more concerned with that.

Whether someone likes or dislikes Seth MacFarlane, I would still hope that we want to read opinion based on truth and not someone's imaginary version of the truth. Mr. Shephard's truth is not true at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hanna-Barbera Discussions

Search the Hanna-Barbera Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
swatkats May '14 ganesh raja 1
bring back the old cartoons.. such like flinsto... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Abhay 1
Cartoon creator Joe Barbera dies (Dec '06) Feb '10 Evan 9
Max the Great Dane visits Charlotte Jamboree (Feb '09) Feb '09 fjfjcjccjc 1
What channels would you add to Cablevision? (Feb '08) Feb '09 liner 4
Sony Captures 'Smurfs' For the Big Screen - 'Sh... (Jun '08) Jun '08 eating grill cheese 5
Scooby-Doo's creator dies aged 81 (Jan '07) Jan '07 Jennifer Watts 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••