Ruth Ann Swenson gets warm reception in 'Giulio Cesare' at Metropolitan Opera

Apr 8, 2007 Full story: International Herald Tribune

“It's so stressful to get up onstage and realize that the top guy doesn't like you, and there's nothing I can do about it.”

NEW YORK: Criticizing management has its rewards. Ruth Ann Swenson received rapturous applause at the Metropolitan Opera on Friday night following her performance as Cleopatra in a revival of Handel's "Giulio ... via International Herald Tribune

Full Story
David E Whitestone

Mount Pleasant, MI

#1 Apr 10, 2007
I have been an ardent fan of Ruth Ann Swenson since I first heard her Positively Golden CD in 1997. I have all of her recordings and I have heard all of her Saturday afternoon and Sirius broadcasts and have traveled to NYC from Michigan to hear her in person on several occasions. The absolute purity of her voice combined with her fantastic musicianship puts her at the top of my list of favorite Met singers - past and present.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Handel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate on Evolution of Multicellular Organisms ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Frank Abernathy 1
How to Handel loiterers? Give 'em a blast of th... (Mar '13) Mar '13 We Todd Did Gee Hawd 1
Alexander native and rising soprano star perfor... (Dec '12) Dec '12 The Dude Abides 1
Essential Opera revives the gender-bending Alcina (May '12) May '12 Peter 1
Sing along to Handel's 'Messiah' with York Symp... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Edward Copeland 1
First Person: Classical sounds call friend to m... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Bindu Rammohan 2
Unlikely Quartet: Aretha, Condi, Handel, Mozart (Jul '10) Jul '10 Brian 1
More from around the web