Bourbon County smoke-free advocates p...

Bourbon County smoke-free advocates push for smoking ban

There are 241 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Nov 20, 2011, titled Bourbon County smoke-free advocates push for smoking ban. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

Chuck Newberry, 51, of Paris prepares to sink a ball at Bezeau's Bluegrass Billiards in downtown Paris.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#21 Nov 30, 2011
The point is wrote:
This is such an easy fix, smokers just need to step outside smoke and step back in. It works great and is the norm in many states and business doesn't suffer one bit.
The Organized Non Smokers Coalition or whatever it is called is trying to take that right away. The right to smoke anywhere, outside INCLUDED. Are you aware of THAT ????
Are you ok with that ??????
I am very much okay with the idea that a cure for nicotine addiction will come along someday and make all this dramatic posturing of yours as laughable to you as it is to me. When that happens, the industry will disappear for lack of customers.
Rights my ARSE

Duluth, GA

#22 Nov 30, 2011
The point is wrote:
This is such an easy fix, smokers just need to step outside smoke and step back in. It works great and is the norm in many states and business doesn't suffer one bit.
The Organized Non Smokers Coalition or whatever it is called is trying to take that right away. The right to smoke anywhere, outside INCLUDED. Are you aware of THAT ????
Are you ok with that ??????
You DON'T have a "Right" to smoke wherever you please, you smoking addicts may think you do but are mistaken. This isn't the 1970's any longer. Hell, I'd be embarrassed to smoke in public, don't you realize everyone is shaking their heads at you in disgust? A real role model to follow. Smokers are social misfits in today's society, learn to live with it or quit smoking, that's your "Right".

Smoking is no longer socially acceptable and what is so wrong with just smoking at home.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#23 Nov 30, 2011
Rights my ARSE wrote:
Smoking is no longer socially acceptable and what is so wrong with just smoking at home.
Apart from the fact that "it isn't good for you", is ruinous to the health of any family you live with and, if you happen to live in multi-family housing, smoking is the number one cause of fire fatalities in such buildings.

Next question?
Frigging Hello

United States

#24 Nov 30, 2011
Why is anybody worried about who is smoking in the poolroom? That group that wrote a grant for their project is a joke. Why didn't they write a grant for food for needy families, a new playground or a 100 other things that could benefit EVERYONE in our community. But no they are worried about about smoking in bars and poolrooms. I don't smoke and I think it's a darn waste of time. And I don't like tha fact that most of that group on that ad they sent around are not even originally from Bourbon County. If they don't like how things are done here, just frigging move. I can damn well bet that through the years tobacco money has helped build every business they have worked in and they need to realize it. They sure didn't mind drawing the money from the tobacco farmer's taxes did they?
whatever

Paris, KY

#25 Dec 1, 2011
non-smokeaholic wrote:
<quoted text>"Live and let Live" I agree, let me live if you want to smoke go outside! I spend alot of money in poolrooms so I think it would be great if they put a smoking ban in place! I don't go to church but I don't stand outside there and tell people not to go!
REREAD your comments. You are telling people what they should or shouldn't do you talk out of both sides of your mouth.If I owned the pool hall you wouldn't be welcome. I don't drink but you do. You go outside sit on the curb drink your alcohol wait for the cops to pick you up.
Rights my ARSE

Duluth, GA

#26 Dec 1, 2011
Frigging Hello wrote:
Why is anybody worried about who is smoking in the poolroom? That group that wrote a grant for their project is a joke. Why didn't they write a grant for food for needy families, a new playground or a 100 other things that could benefit EVERYONE in our community. But no they are worried about about smoking in bars and poolrooms. I don't smoke and I think it's a darn waste of time. And I don't like tha fact that most of that group on that ad they sent around are not even originally from Bourbon County. If they don't like how things are done here, just frigging move. I can damn well bet that through the years tobacco money has helped build every business they have worked in and they need to realize it. They sure didn't mind drawing the money from the tobacco farmer's taxes did they?
There you go AGAIN telling me I should move. Just who the hell do you smokers think you are? You are nothing more than an spoiled addict with an addiction who thinks they can harm others with THEIR addiction.

No employee or patron should be subjected to YOUR smoking habit and us non-smokers are no longer willing to stay home, it's long overdue that smokers either smoke OUTSIDE or smokers stay the hell home.
get a grip

Paris, KY

#27 Dec 1, 2011
Rights my ARSE wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go AGAIN telling me I should move. Just who the hell do you smokers think you are? You are nothing more than an spoiled addict with an addiction who thinks they can harm others with THEIR addiction.
No employee or patron should be subjected to YOUR smoking habit and us non-smokers are no longer willing to stay home, it's long overdue that smokers either smoke OUTSIDE or smokers stay the hell home.
OH Lookie here folks we have found a googie two shoes. Must be nice to live in her world of PERFECTION. Don't you be a cussin' them there smokers. Just because your so high and mighty. I bet you got, you a little sum sum yer "A DICK'ed" Tooo hahaha. Well when you fall off your perfect 'pet a stool' sista. Let us under you bow at your freaking greatness.
Rights my ARSE

Duluth, GA

#28 Dec 1, 2011
get a grip wrote:
<quoted text>OH Lookie here folks we have found a googie two shoes. Must be nice to live in her world of PERFECTION. Don't you be a cussin' them there smokers. Just because your so high and mighty. I bet you got, you a little sum sum yer "A DICK'ed" Tooo hahaha. Well when you fall off your perfect 'pet a stool' sista. Let us under you bow at your freaking greatness.
Did I touch a nerve? Poor Baby, sounds like you haven't had your smoke yet.
Your addiction is doing the talking for you. Go outside if you need to smoke you wouldn't want to burn down your trailer!!
HowzBoutDat

Frederick, MD

#29 Dec 1, 2011
Right up my ARSE wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I touch a nerve? Blah, blah, blah!!
That's how you make it, that's how you take it.
HowzBoutDatToo

Farmington, MI

#30 Dec 1, 2011
HowzBoutDat wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a trolling idiot, don't you agree?
Hmmm, why yes we do Kent...you are exactly that! lmao
Ole gal

Paris, KY

#31 Dec 2, 2011
A different set of eyes wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point. There are a couple of issues that are being overlooked. First, how can a local, city, state or Federal government tell a business owner that his customers can not use a legal product in their establishment. It should be the owner's decision to allow smoking or not to allow smoking. The consumer can, and should, tell every business that they purchase goods or services from, what their position is on smoking in that business. If the majority of his customers want smoking banned from that business, the owner would ban smoking in his business. It should not be forced on the business owner by someone who might be or might not be his customer. I understand the effect of second hand smoke. It is YOUR choice, the consumer's choice to enter or not to enter a business that does allow smoking. We have too many local, state and Federal regulations now, we don't need this type of mandatory regulations. Maybe these "advocates" could be more productive putting their energy and resources into educating kids on the harmful effects of smoking.
Exactly! Way too much government regulation now! Educate, educate, educate! No place for local mandates; unless made by local businesses/public venues. People are not going to quit smoking because a local law/business tells them not to smoke in a certain area. People are more likely to quit smoking because they have been exposed to all the hazards now & in the future to the smoker & their family.
what

Paris, KY

#33 Dec 3, 2011
what happen to the freedom for speech and the land of the free gone becuse of people like you in the older days what did they do when people smoke and they are living to be over 100 oh my bad smoking is worst for people breathing it then smoking it so what keeps those people living longer oh yeah all that beer and other stuff so if you are going to do away with one do it to the other to when you drink you beer or whatever go to the dumpster and drink it and come back in being stupid is an addiction to but we dont put everyone somewhere else cause we dont want to deal with you sex is bad for you to put i dont see you trying to stop that and for the air look at all these factories in paris putting all of god knows what in the air and you want to bitch about some cigarettes smoke come on people quit trying to push your ways on other people because we arent like you there is a reason for that thank you and have a good day smoke a cigarett and calm down
weirdo

Paris, KY

#35 Dec 3, 2011
Rights my ARSE wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I touch a nerve? Poor Baby, sounds like you haven't had your smoke yet.
Your addiction is doing the talking for you. Go outside if you need to smoke you wouldn't want to burn down your trailer!!
Sounds like you are about 2 years old. That's right you are a ass. Sounds like move out of mommys house and get a trailer of your own.Get a life. Sounds like you smoke something other than cigaretts.
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

#36 Dec 4, 2011
Nord Med. 1994;109(4):121-5.
[Environmental somatization syndrome. How to deal with the external milieu syndrome?].
[Article in Swedish]
Nilsson CG, Göthe CJ, Molin C.
SourceMed Rehabiliteringskliniken, Huddinge Sjukhus.
Abstract
Somatization is a tendency to experience and communicate psychogenic distress in the form of somatic symptoms and to seek medical help for them. Patients suffering from environmental somatization syndrome (ESS) consider their symptoms to be caused by exposure to chemical or physical components of the external environment or by ergonomic stress at work. ESS is distinguished by mental contagiousness and a tendency to cluster. Sometimes it explodes in wide-spread epidemics that may be escalated by mass-media campaigns. Extensive ESS epidemics have been connected to, i.a., arsenic, carbon monoxide ("generator gas poisoning"), mercury ("oral galvanism"), carbon-free copy papers, electromagnetic fields ("electric allergy") and repetitive movements ("repetition strain injury", RSI). The typical patient directs the interest on the external environment, refuses alternative explanations of his symptoms and abhors any suggestion of a psychogenic etiology.
The community is often placed in difficult positions by lobby groups calling for drastic measures to eliminate alleged disease-inducing exposures. When hygienic evils occur simultaneously with an ESS epidemic, it is essential to strictly differ the hygienic problems from the ESS problems. If mismanaged, measures aimed at reducing hygienic inconveniences may aggravate the complex of ESS problems.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8170802
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

#37 Dec 4, 2011
Don't fret over list of cancer 'risks'
www.dispatch.com/.../...r-list-ofcancer-risks...

[["We are being bombarded" with messages about the dangers posed by common things in our lives, yet most exposures "are not at a level that are going to cause cancer," said Dr. Len Lichtenfeld, the American Cancer Society's deputy chief medical officer.
Linda Birnbaum agrees. She is a toxicologist who heads the government agency that just declared styrene, an ingredient in fiberglass boats and Styrofoam, a likely cancer risk.
"Let me put your mind at ease right away about Styrofoam," she said. Levels of styrene that leach from food containers "are hundreds if not thousands of times lower than have occurred in the occupational setting," where the chemical in vapor form poses a possible risk to workers.
Carcinogens are things that can cause cancer, but that label doesn't mean that they will or that they pose a risk to anyone exposed to them in any amount at any time.]]

Now,Im glad to see the ACS admitting to the dose response relationship finally!

So now we understand why the following is factual:

[[are hundreds if not thousands of times lower than have occurred in the occupational setting," where the chemical in vapor form poses a possible risk to workers.]]

Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, Vol. 14, No. 1.(August 1991), pp. 88-105.

[[ETS between 10,000- and 100,000-fold less than estimated average MSS-RSP doses for active smokers]]

www.citeulike.org/user/vmarthia/article/74588...

[[OSHA the components in tobacco smoke are diluted below existing Permissible Exposure Levels (PELS.) as referenced in the Air Contaminant Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000)…It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that any individual PEL would be exceeded]]
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#38 Dec 4, 2011
confederate1989 wrote:
Don't fret over list of cancer 'risks'
www.dispatch.com/.../...r-list-ofcancer-risks...
[["We are being bombarded" with messages about the dangers posed by common things in our lives, yet most exposures "are not at a level that are going to cause cancer," said Dr. Len Lichtenfeld, the American Cancer Society's deputy chief medical officer.
Linda Birnbaum agrees. She is a toxicologist who heads the government agency that just declared styrene, an ingredient in fiberglass boats and Styrofoam, a likely cancer risk.
"Let me put your mind at ease right away about Styrofoam," she said. Levels of styrene that leach from food containers "are hundreds if not thousands of times lower than have occurred in the occupational setting," where the chemical in vapor form poses a possible risk to workers.
Carcinogens are things that can cause cancer, but that label doesn't mean that they will or that they pose a risk to anyone exposed to them in any amount at any time.]]
Now,Im glad to see the ACS admitting to the dose response relationship finally!
Actually, all they said here was that a carcinogen's ABILITY to cause cancer doesn't equate to a GUARANTEE that it will cause cancer.

The statements here do NOT by any stretch of the (non-addicted) imagination say that a lesser exposure to a carcinogen equated with a GUARANTEE that it will NOT cause cancer.

Neither the ACS nor any other significant modern medical (Had some trouble not going all G&S on you with "modern major medical") organization has ever said that increased exposure did not equate with increased risk.

On the other hand, none will tell you that reduced exposure equates with lack, rather than reduction, of risk.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#39 Dec 4, 2011
confederate1989 wrote:
[[OSHA the components in tobacco smoke are diluted below existing Permissible Exposure Levels (PELS.) as referenced in the Air Contaminant Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000)…It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that any individual PEL would be exceeded]]
Immediately followed, of course, by this:

"The more central concern of the Agency is that synergism of the chemicals in tobacco smoke may lead to adverse health effects even though the PELs are often not exceeded. The Agency published in a proposed rule in April of 1994 that it is of the opinion that lung cancer and heart disease are major health concerns in nonsmoking workers chronically exposed to ETS."

But then, no nonsmoker was supposed to KNOW that there was more to that source than what you wanted to present as supporting your delusion, were we?
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

#40 Dec 4, 2011
Synergy Still Controversial

Synergy is an integral part of our methodology. A majority of scientists support the concept of a radon/tobacco smoke synergistic interaction that is more than additive; we used the conservative 10-fold estimate. Apart from the documentation of synergy between radon and tobacco smoke, however, synergy is largely ignored or virulently contested

Work in the laboratory of endocrinologist John McLachlan at Tulane University, reported by Steven Arnold and others (Science, 7 June 1996, p. 1489) found dramatic synergistic interaction between "hormonelike" chemicals in the environment. They reported that when two pesticides were tested together, their estrogenic activity shot up 160 to 1600 fold. They also found five-fold synergy with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), which would have profound environmental implications.

The reaction to the work at Tulane was swift and aggressive. Few papers provoke the kind of response that followed in the scientific community. New studies were promptly done that failed to replicate the synergistic results found by McLachlan. In an unusual move, Dr. McLachan withdrew the synergy paper. From press reports one might conclude that synergy was proven not to exist. However, in the retraction letter that appeared in the July 25th issue of Science (1996) it is clear that the basic idea of synergy was not withdrawn, but rather the pronounced levels initially reported.
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

#41 Dec 4, 2011
Synergism doesnt even exist in nature especially with tobacco smoke! The only thing proven to cause mutagenic cell changes is radioactive exposures! Trying to claim tobacco and radon or tobacco and asbestos etc is the same as comparing carrots and radon or carrots and asbestos exposures..........its a non-entity!

The actual chemicals involed and their dose amounts in the air equated to no harm to anyone including children.

To keep the smoking ban wagon going and fed watchman added the synergistic trash to his letter,watchman himself is a anti-tobacco pundit put in place by clinton. actual science doesnt back any smoking bans anywhere and you know it as does OSHA!
confederate1989

Elizabethtown, KY

#42 Dec 4, 2011
lung cancer and heart disease are major health concerns in nonsmoking workers chronically exposed to ETS."

Lung Cancer a Different Disease in Smokers and Nonsmokers

PHILADELPHIA — Lung cancer that develops in smokers is not the same disease as lung cancer that develops in people who've never touched a cigarette, a new study finds.

There are nearly twice as many DNA changes in the tumors of people who have never smoked than in the tumors of people who smoke, which suggests the cancer of "never-smokers" is different from smokers' cancer, said Kelsie Thu, a Ph.D. candidate at the BC Cancer Research Center in Canada.

"We think this finding provides evidence that never-smoker and smoker lung cancers are different, and suggests they arise through different molecular pathways," Thu told MyHealthNewsDaily. "Never-smokers might be exposed to a carcinogen, not from cigarettes, that causes their tumors to have more DNA alterations and promotes lung cancer development."

http://www.livescience.com/11090-lung-cancer-...

They cant even prove smoking causes heart disease much less any disease and you want to try and connect shs/ets to heart disease,bull chit!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Funk Railroad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Flint-area members of Grand Funk Railroa... (May '15) May '15 cruizinsuezin 1
News Get your rock n' roll and seafood fix at the Po... (Mar '14) May '14 alisa201127 3
News 'Mark Farner' Electrifies Huge 'Blast Friday' C... (May '14) May '14 Suez 1
News Editorial: Grand Funk Railroad deserves place i... (May '14) May '14 Suez 1
News Lou Gramm, Mark Farner Among Stars Taking Part ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Kevin skinner 1
News Scott Weiland, Morrissey, and Mark Farner -- is... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Greg 1
News Travis Tritt, others perform at Soybean Festival (Sep '12) Sep '12 Goldy Locks 2
More from around the web