Review of Gordon Lightfoot Buffalo co...
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#84 Aug 3, 2013
Angelique wrote:
Hi!
If anyone at all can sound like Gordon Lightfoot it is Brian Ekard (Youtube), this is the voice that could fill in for GL! I never heard anyone sing as close to Gordon, as Brian!
Sorry, I can't get the links on here correctly.
ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/results...
Yeah he's good on some songs, particularly "Too Much To Lose", but I doubt he has a band. I'd say John Stinson still has the edge. He was taught by Red Shea, Lightfoot's original lead man, plus he plays the exact make/model 12 string Gord uses. Brian has more of a mellower sound though better suited for the more Don Quixote/Old Dan's Records era of songs.
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#85 Aug 3, 2013
I would also like to add that Brian sings his songs a key lower than Gord would.
Antagonist Of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#86 Aug 11, 2013
Another Lightfoot Tribute Band I would highly recommend you'd check out is Mike Fornes "Whispers Of The North" The lead singer doesn't sound anything like Lightfoot but he does play the exact same instruments, and has the look except more heavier set. Unfortunately he doesn't "capo" his instruments.

http://www.lightfoottribute.com

On the upside, the lead guitarist sometimes plays electric, and also plays the exact same instruments.
Antagonist Of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#87 Aug 11, 2013
I might also add that if you have seen that tribute band that Mike Fornes' more warm "tender" voice, sounds more soothing than GL's current scratchy rasp, than this band is more for you!!!
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#88 Aug 21, 2013
Chris from Baton Rouge wrote:
I just saw the man last night, my third concert over 25 years. No, his voice is not the same. Yes, he is very fragile-looking. Okay, the finger-style may be going.
But.
It was lovely. He was Gordo. When he sings words about aging now, they are poignant. He did not miss a beat and the band supported him completely. He engaged the audience and played 1 3/4 hours all the major hits and some of my favorites that were less well=known. The songs remain the same, timeless. I know the lyrics by heart and filled in the missing words in the original key in my head. The magnificent outpouring of love and affection for the man and his music was strong in that auditorium and I am so happy I got to witness it once again.
I feel very sorry for the people who wrote harsh words about wasting their hard-earned money and time on his concerts. And no, it is not Simon Cowell's world. I am glad I don't listen to the critics and pundits.
When he comes 'round again, I'll be there.
Yer such a douchebag and a tool!
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#89 Aug 26, 2013
If you love Lightfoot and Jazz, You should check this tribute out.

It is a tribute album done by Neil Chotem orchestra titled 'the gordon lightfoot instrumental songbook' it's really unique.

Here's the link.

https://hotfile.com/dl/145284422/3701246/NC-G...

Download it. You'll love it.

Since Fuzz loves both, he MUST add this to his collection.
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#90 Oct 8, 2013
Here's another clip from the Lightfoot tribute band. Again The lead singer is great, and would make a great replacement for Gord vocally.

Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#91 Oct 22, 2013
Here's a contest to enter. To see GL in the City of your choice.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php...
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#92 Apr 27, 2014
Here's another review:

GORDON IS NO LONGER GOLD

Majestic Theatre San Antonio - San Antonio, TX - Wed, Feb 12, 2014Posted 02/15/2014by dylan9

Age has taken its toll. Diction, range and projection were poor. Sure, the songs are still good, but some artists should stop (like Joni Mitchell and Gordon). Simply put, it was sad to see a favorite appear as a shell of himself. I am sure that many will look at this concert as an opportunity to see him "one last time" and look upon the concert with some nostalgia, but, simply put, the voice is gone. It was also sad to see that every time he took a drink of water he had to bend over, like he was suffering from GERDS or some other type of esophagus problem.
Should I feel sorry for him and give him a break on this review? No. If you have an overwhelming desire to see him, do so. It's not THAT bad. But he sold 3500 tickets at $50. A good payday. It was worth the money I would have spent at a house concert - and I am a fan - but not $50. Buy his albums. "Beautiful".
Favorite moment: Edmund Fitzgerald. Because of the lack of dynamic range in the song, he was able to sing it more successfully than other songs.
Opening act(s): none
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#93 Apr 27, 2014
And another…

Time stands still for no one

Scottish Rite Auditorium - Collingswood, NJ - Fri, Nov 1, 2013Posted 11/05/2013by DisappointedFemaleFaninNJ

Glad we went to see this Canadian national treasure -Gordon LIghtfoot did not disappoint in the sounds of the original hits in terms of the accompanying music and arrangements, but wished I had been aware that he no longer has the iconic timbre in his voice that he used to have. Still enjoyed the show for the memories associated with his many hits, and could hear him shine through at times.
Favorite moment: He spoke to the audience about what inspired him or going on in his life at the time; even joked about the greatly exaggerated rumors of his death.
Setlist: All the favorites + more: Sundown, Carefree Highway, If You Could Read My Mind,The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Rainy Day People, many other
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#94 Apr 27, 2014
and another..

Gordon Lightfoot cncert was below Par

Rialto Square Theatre - Joliet, IL - Wed, Oct 30, 2013Posted 11/02/2013by Galveston4

Went to the Gordon Lightfoot concert in Joliet, Illinois on October 29, 2013. I was looking forward to this concert because I was a life long fan of his since the 70's. I have been to the Rialto Square Theater before and liked the acoustics as well as the sound system for vocals. Boy was I in a shock to listen to a toned down vocals where you couldn't even understand what he was singing. The music and vocals should have been turned up to provide a little ump to the whole evening. It was probably one of the most boring concerts I had ever been to in a long time. Turn up his mike and that would have changed the whole evening. Would not recommend this to anyone.
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#95 Apr 27, 2014
Here's two more clips ALL LIGHTHEAD'S should watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#96 Apr 27, 2014
Angelique wrote:
Hi!
If anyone at all can sound like Gordon Lightfoot it is Brian Ekard (Youtube), this is the voice that could fill in for GL! I never heard anyone sing as close to Gordon, as Brian!
Sorry, I can't get the links on here correctly.
ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/results...
Hey Angelique if you love Brian Ekard's rendition of Gord's songs here are two more.

and one of his own

Maybe Brian is the "new Gord" for the U.S.
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#97 Apr 29, 2014
Antagonist of Fuzz

Edmonton, Canada

#98 May 11, 2014
Here's another fan who had a bad time at the concert.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Post 2652 - Gordon Lightfoot
Hi. Back home from the Gordon Lightfoot concert.

What can I say?

Gordon Lightfoot is 75 years old. He has had horrendous health issues in recent years, some of which came thisclose to killing him. That he is able to get up and around let alone endure the rigours of a concert tour, is not much short of amazing. I hate to state these things. I really do.

The man's voice is shot. Notes that I could hit if someone kicked me in the Bevboy's, were beyond his ability to reach. His voice would just disappear for those brief moments. Songs were barely muttered. The audience members had to sing along to provide any kind of context. It was barely above bad karaoke.

The show started promptly at 8pm. By 8:50, the show was half over. Lightfoot shuffled off stage to take oxygen or whatever. Patricia and I looked at each other and sighed and both of us wished that we could have seen him when he was in his prime.

There comes a time when people have to call it a day. They may want to keep working, but it is in their best interests to quit. I mean, Bob Dylan doesn't even sound like anything human. Bruce Springsteen doesn't so much sing as bellow. Anne Murray's voice was getting raspy, so she had the good sense to retire, but others just keep going on and on and on. There are so many other examples.

We didn't pay for tonight's tickets. We were in a sky box. We are glad to have been able to see a Canadian icon like Gordon Lightfoot. We just wish we had seen him when he was a younger guy, when his voice was working properly, and when his fans could walk away from one of his shows feeling satisfied, not vaguely ripped off.

Tomorrow is Thursday, but it is my Friday as I am off after tomorrow until Monday. Looking forward to it.

See you tomorrow, my lovelies.

Bevboy
GordoFan

Calwell, Australia

#99 Jan 10, 2016
Antagonist of Fuzz wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah he's good on some songs, particularly "Too Much To Lose", but I doubt he has a band. I'd say John Stinson still has the edge. He was taught by Red Shea, Lightfoot's original lead man, plus he plays the exact make/model 12 string Gord uses. Brian has more of a mellower sound though better suited for the more Don Quixote/Old Dan's Records era of songs.
Just listened to the Tribure Band with John Stinson and he doesn't sound anything like Gordon Lightfoot in my opinion. Brian Ekard sounds just like him and it is eerie.
Ann

Methuen, MA

#100 May 1, 2016
GordoFan wrote:
<quoted text>

Just listened to the Tribure Band with John Stinson and he doesn't sound anything like Gordon Lightfoot in my opinion. Brian Ekard sounds just like him and it is eerie.
I agree wholeheartedly about Brian Ekard, they could dub in his voice for Gordon, and no one would even know!
Ann

Methuen, MA

#101 May 1, 2016
Antagonist of Fuzz wrote:
<quoted text>

Hey Angelique if you love Brian Ekard's rendition of Gord's songs here are two more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2AgsrM2t6DoXX

and one of his own

Maybe Brian is the "new Gord" for the U.S.
Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gordon Lightfoot Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARRY HARVEY / Gordon Lightfoot's manager dies. (Dec '07) Feb '16 a21ronin 34
News Gordon Lightfoot explains why he wrote 'The Wre... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sneaky Pete 2
Mrs ANN (Oct '14) Oct '14 ANN 1
...FARMER is..GOD,..not (May '13) Jun '14 SHYKORA PAUL arts 4
Gordon Lightfoot history question (Mar '10) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 3
What was that Gordon Lightfoot song . . . . (Jun '13) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 3
Lightfoot Croce & Taylor Acoustic & Voice Fame (Dec '13) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 2
More from around the web