Review of Gordon Lightfoot Buffalo co...

Review of Gordon Lightfoot Buffalo concert 9/21

Posted in the Gordon Lightfoot Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mirabelle Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

#1 Sep 22, 2008
Check out this review!

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/stor...

and a blog to poist your comments (and a note about how he was concerned about ticket sales!)

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/popstand/2008/...
Evan

Cleveland, TN

#2 Sep 12, 2009
Gordon Lightfoot needs to quit touring and go to the retirement home
bettyboop0607

Byron, GA

#3 Oct 30, 2009
I have been to 4 Gordon Lightfoot concerts. He should tour as long as he can stand. He is wonderful.
Paul

Edison, NJ

#4 Mar 8, 2010
Just saw Gordon at the Ryman......voice had no volume.....in key but weak.....had a cold supposedly....left early....it was a sad performance
Hawkeye

Memphis, TN

#5 Mar 8, 2010
Mirabelle Buffalo wrote:
Check out this review!
http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/stor...
and a blog to poist your comments (and a note about how he was concerned about ticket sales!)
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/popstand/2008/...
Just saw Gordon in Memphis last night. Very sad indeed. You could barely understand him, so we left 1/2 through. The tickets were quite expensive, but oh well lessoned learned.
Jennifer Nashville

Hattiesburg, MS

#6 Mar 8, 2010
Saw Gordon at the Ryman and it was really sad.His incredible voice was so weak and he seemed kind of lost.The music and light show were great.But I sat behind A woman with really big hair(no surprise since It WAS Nashville)and could not see well.We left early.I felt so sad for him.
bpw

Memphis, TN

#7 Mar 8, 2010
Hawkeye wrote:
<quoted text>Just saw Gordon in Memphis last night. Very sad indeed. You could barely understand him, so we left 1/2 through. The tickets were quite expensive, but oh well lessoned learned.
"I saw him in Memphis as well and did the same thing -- left at intermission. Sad to say, as a big fan, but it was one of the worst --- even painful --- performances I have ever seen. No way he should be touring. He should not be seen like this. If he insists on touring I suggest that they hire some backup singers.
Lance Bedwell

Spring Hill, FL

#8 Mar 14, 2010
Though I don't do to much of his material any more when we perform, way back when I was 15 he was totally the reason I do what I do to this day. I had seen him perform in the Toronto area several times from 68-79 and I was always amazed at his stage presence. Without resorting to gimmicks he could mesmerize you from his centre stage position no matter where you sat in the concert hall. His voice was strong and dynamic and the whole experience of his concerts left me moved and wanting more. I loved everything about the man and his music. Totally inspiring.

I'd been checking out some recent concert footage prior to last night's show shot by cell phone cameras etc and found that in all of them his voice sounded weak. I attributed this to what was used for recording.

We sat ten rows back and dead centre last night and if there was one word that could sum up last evenings performance, that word would be "grim". I realize that he has gone through a lot medically but his voice has been deteriorating and thinning our since the early 80's. Last night he was struggling for every note and gasping for breath, often running out during one line of a song. He sounded like someone who had laryngitis and broke into song after running up to the top of the CN Tower. He also appeared very frail and emaciated. As for his guitar work, his finger picking was fair but his strumming was almost non existent where as in the past he was a rhythm master on those things. The band was tight as usual and seemed to be keeping a watchful eye on Gord as if watching over an ailing member of the family, which I guess they are .

I've wondered in the past few years why he continues. Whether it's an ego thing or he needs the money or just feels an obligation to his band to keep them employed, I don't know. If he was really the perfectionist as he and his band mates claim he is, he would pack it in and stop doing what has become a crying shame.
Alan Pitcher

Kingston, Canada

#9 Apr 13, 2010
Saw Gord in Kingston,Ontario,April 11, 2010. The news reports that he was dead are true... he is.
The worse concert I have ever seen.
I was a fan for 40 years, now.....
Never again
Mike in Memphis

Arlington, TN

#10 Apr 15, 2010
Attended his concert in Memphis in March. Pitiful performance. DO NOT WASTE your hard earned money. Low voice, missed notes, extremely weak, it felt like watching a first timers piano recital....really uneasy feeling hoping he could get through the song. We mostly left at intermission.

Paying for this concert amounts to larceny.
Mike Y

Glassboro, NJ

#11 Oct 8, 2010
Went to see Gordon Lightfoot last night with my wife at the TD Performing Arts Center in Washington Twp, Gloucester County NJ. Arrived at the concert 5 minutes late, Gordon and his band were already on stage. We did not recognize him or his music. Before we even got to our seats, we thought we were being punk'd. We did not think it was Gordon at first. His voice was unrecognizable and very weak. At times, we could not understand him. He would close his eyes during a song and tilt his head back and it looked like he was going to fall over. He's emaciated and looks gravely ill. So sad. After 2 or 3 songs, it was absolutely painful to sit through any longer. We could not wait for intermission to run for the exit, along with many others. Cars were speeding out of the parking lot! If this had been our first date, I would have been mortified! Paid $200 for 2 tickets 5 rows from the stage - what a waste of hard-earned money! It was by far the worst concert ever! If anybody is considering going to see Gordon, save your money. Remember his voice as it was back in the day because his performance will break your heart.
Belle

Eau Claire, WI

#12 Oct 13, 2010
Saw Gordon at the State Theater, last night, 10/12/10 in Eau Claire. It was much like these other reviews...very sad. My first concert I ever went to was Gordon Lightfoot back in the early 70s and have been a fan ever since. I want to remember him like that. Yes, if he keeps touring, he at least needs some back up singers. It almost made us wonder if he had more than water in his bottle. He slurred his speech and seemed unstable. Sorry that we went.
Wsr

North Pole, AK

#13 Nov 5, 2010
Saw Gordon Lightfoot in Seattle tonight. Age and health have taken their toll, but his songs still resonated with the audience, moving hearts and setting feet to tapping. Huge applause after each song, and emotion filled standing ovation at end.
bob arseneault

Saint Martins, Canada

#14 Nov 11, 2010
my name is bob, please excuse me..i did not attend this particular concert but i was in attendance at the concert in april in saint john new brunswick 2010. i've been a gordon lightfoot fan for over 30 years.i came from a very disfunctional family but discovering gordon lightfoot at a young age inspired me to learn to play guitar and provided me with a purpose i would not otherwise have found.i've been blessed to see lightfoot in concert 5 times over the years.i love the man and his music...i alway's have and i have all of his music.i've read a lot of negative comment's and i really understand why people feel as the do but i'd like to add another perspective.when gordon lightfoot took to the stage that evening in saint john my first thought was that he was frail and lost a lot of his skill's but as i sat there in the third row that evening all i could think of was how much i love this man gordon lightfoot and how much his music has meant to me over the years.for some reason, i don't really understand why, i was thrilled to be there..in his company to share that evening...the small sting of disappointment i felt for realizing his skills had diminished was overcome by the love i have for him and his music.he has a sincere on stage warmth and a great sense of humour...the band is still amazing.the saint john crowd[including myself]gave lightfoot and his band lots of love.i hope that if people going to a gordon lightfoot concert read this [especially long time devoted fans]that you let love take you through the evening....we know his touring future is limited to a few dates or a few years...he is still doing what he loves...the band is still excellent...with all due respect i understand the dissapointment of some...i'm not saying you are wrong to feel the way you do....i just see it differntly....thanks...bob
Bill

Boise, ID

#15 Nov 11, 2010
The wife and I went to see Gordon Lightfoot earlier this week at the Morrison Center in Boise, ID. Terrible concert. The band is fine, but Mr. Lightfoot simply can't carry a tune anymore...and he's "the show." We left at intermission.(I would have left sooner, but I didn't want to disappoint the wife. Turned out she felt the same way.) It appears to be another sad example of an aging icon who just can't let go of the spotlight. If you're considering attending one of his shows and you see this post, don't waste your money. Remember his music as it was.
JDover

Denver, CO

#16 Nov 14, 2010
I saw GL last night at the Paramount in Denver. I am a big fan of his music, but his current tour is simply pathetic. By far, the worst vocal performance I have ever seen. Weak and unable hit about half his notes, I thought I had stumbled into an amateur talent show at a nursing home. It was so painful that I couldn't even bear to sit through the entire show. Go buy one of his old albums, but do not waste your money on his show.
Kip

AOL

#17 Nov 16, 2010
I attended last nights show in Colorado Springs and I'm still disturbed by the show. I too, kept waiting for the real Gordon to step out from the side of the stage and say "gottcha", but that never happened. All that has been said about his voice and appearence were evident here as well. His music will always be vibrant and realivant to me, but last nights show broke my heart to see, and hear, such a wonderful artist attempt to recreate the songs...well I almost left at the intermission but I stayed because I owed him that for all the moments he has given me over the years (I bought my first Gordon albumn in 1969). Terry Clements was great on guitar. If you want to hear Gordon as you did originally, stay home and put on a cd.
Montana TG

United States

#18 Nov 21, 2010
I attended the Lightfoot concert last night in Helena,Montana.I understand that tickets were quite expensive in some venues, but here in Helena good seats were $55. I had seen him on PBS two weeks prior, during a pledge drive, and featuring his 2000 "Live in Reno" concert, one of the few he has on video.That concert was ten years ago, and he clearly had lost his voice range, appeared emaciated, and had a peculiar grimace/stare set of expressions which often did not match the songs.
Definitely a shock compared to the CDs and the face of Gordon on the cover of "Gord's Gold".
So I was prepared for the weak voice and the thin body; I still wanted to see this icon, if only for the fact that, unlike so many,he actually wrote all those songs.
The audience was,like me, sixties/seventies generation, happy to be there, polite. I am sure there was disappointment and shock from some. My expectations were limited.
My opinion: First, I never heard Gord in concert years ago, but in this one, he really did not work to connect with the audience during the fills between sets. He tried, had a few casual comments, probably used over and over, but that is ok. What was strange, was the use of "alllright" after a song,repetitively- I had noted the same thing on the "Live in Reno" video, and that was ten years ago.
Several times after a song, he would bend forward in a long bow, but then did not straighten up for a while, and I think people wondered if he was ok.
He was sharp as ever on all the lurics.His backup band is first class, especially the guy on electric guitar, but Gordon seems to be chronically unwell yet a survivor.
Whether you pay for a concert like this or not depends on your point of view. Obviously he and the group do it for the money, and also I think because his band is now essentially his family and I think they like touring.
I don't think I wasted 55 dollars, but wouldn't pay more.
I agree that it is sad, and sometimes these singers should retire when they have lost the voice.But I did not leave feeling angry or sad, just put it in perspective. It is a metaphor for all of us that we will age.
But perhaps it is also a cautionary tale for all of us,whether surgeons, lawyers, teachers, or singers,that there is a time to retire from the limelight,accept that we cannot offer what we once did, feel and bear the pain of that reality, and then count our blessings and move on.
Gord, I wish you well; you are a survivor. But I think it is time to stop touring,quit the cigarettes, and concentrate on your health.
Maybe write some new songs for new talent.
Helena, Montana
Silver Bear

Helena, MT

#19 Dec 2, 2010
I attended the recent Helena concert as well. I have been a GL fan since I first heard his music back in the 70's, and I concur, he is a survivor to be appreciated as such, and not as the singer he once was. But his music has always spoken to my soul, more than any other bard's, and he has been a huge influence in how I see life, the world, my relationships with others, and my appreciation of all things deep and human and beautiful. I would pay ten times the price to see him, voice or no, for I know we may not be able to do this much longer. Where his voice or stage presence may fail, I shut my eyes and imagine.....a concert of his I attended, back in Boston, in the seventies....and my memory fills it alllllll back in for me......
Montana T G

Helena, MT

#20 Dec 2, 2010
I think you put it well,and I agree with you.
Silver Bear wrote:
I attended the recent Helena concert as well. I have been a GL fan since I first heard his music back in the 70's, and I concur, he is a survivor to be appreciated as such, and not as the singer he once was. But his music has always spoken to my soul, more than any other bard's, and he has been a huge influence in how I see life, the world, my relationships with others, and my appreciation of all things deep and human and beautiful. I would pay ten times the price to see him, voice or no, for I know we may not be able to do this much longer. Where his voice or stage presence may fail, I shut my eyes and imagine.....a concert of his I attended, back in Boston, in the seventies....and my memory fills it alllllll back in for me......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gordon Lightfoot Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARRY HARVEY / Gordon Lightfoot's manager dies. (Dec '07) Feb '16 a21ronin 34
News Gordon Lightfoot explains why he wrote 'The Wre... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sneaky Pete 2
Mrs ANN (Oct '14) Oct '14 ANN 1
...FARMER is..GOD,..not (May '13) Jun '14 SHYKORA PAUL arts 4
Gordon Lightfoot history question (Mar '10) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 3
What was that Gordon Lightfoot song . . . . (Jun '13) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 3
Lightfoot Croce & Taylor Acoustic & Voice Fame (Dec '13) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 2
More from around the web