First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pamela Noga

Ishpeming, MI

#1 Sep 17, 2006
The Gordon Lightfoot concert scheduled for Saturday night,September 15, in Harris, MI was canceled after he could not play his guitar half-way through his performance the night before. Rumor has it that he may have suffered a mild stroke and was airlifted to Toronto. I am looking for confirmation and an update on his condition.
Jen

Lapeer, MI

#2 Sep 17, 2006
Hi
I was at the Harris performance on Friday. Gordon said he had a transient stroke in his right arm (which he said has happened before). According to what we were told that night, he was taken to the hospital in Escanaba, MI and was OK. The show Saturday was supposed to go on but was canceled because of structural problems with the stage area.
John

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 17, 2006
We just saw Gordon at the State Theater. He told the audience that he a transient stroke 2 days earlier and could only feel the thumb on his right or pickin hand. He played for an hour and a half and struggled through most songs while maintaining a great sense of humor and pride. He still is better than most and my wife and I were moved to tears...
Pamela Noga

Brentwood, TN

#4 Sep 18, 2006
Jen wrote:
Hi
I was at the Harris performance on Friday. Gordon said he had a transient stroke in his right arm (which he said has happened before). According to what we were told that night, he was taken to the hospital in Escanaba, MI and was OK. The show Saturday was supposed to go on but was canceled because of structural problems with the stage area.
Thanks. There were so many rumors going around and we knew that there had been a structural problem with the tent. I bought my tickets 5 months ago and can't tell you how disappointed I was. I've been a fan for over 30 years. I used to see him every year at Masonic Temple in Detroit ( great accustics) when I lived downstate and I was really looking forward to seeing him again.
Louise

AOL

#5 Sep 18, 2006
John wrote:
We just saw Gordon at the State Theater. He told the audience that he a transient stroke 2 days earlier and could only feel the thumb on his right or pickin hand. He played for an hour and a half and struggled through most songs while maintaining a great sense of humor and pride. He still is better than most and my wife and I were moved to tears...

We also saw that wonderful performance at The State Theatre. Gord was such an inspiration to go on in spite of the physical problems (which were evident).
If anything it brought the whole audience closer to him. There was a feeling love, an appreciation in
that room. May he be well.
Jen

Lapeer, MI

#6 Sep 18, 2006
Pamela Noga wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. There were so many rumors going around and we knew that there had been a structural problem with the tent. I bought my tickets 5 months ago and can't tell you how disappointed I was. I've been a fan for over 30 years. I used to see him every year at Masonic Temple in Detroit ( great accustics) when I lived downstate and I was really looking forward to seeing him again.
We just saw him in July at Meadowbrook in Rochester, MI and he was great there. He's always been so good and he and the band are such nice guys! We were disappointed too because we made the long trip to the UP to see the shows. I'm just glad we got to see him on Friday night and that he is feeling OK.(I'm 34 so I haven't seen him too many times but have every time he has been in the Detroit area for the last 6 years or so. My mom has been a fan from Day 1 and my sister and I grew up listening to him.)
Kris Davis

Sault Sainte Marie, MI

#7 Sep 18, 2006
I was in the front row Friday night. Gordon couldn't really play well, but he did manage some chords with his right hand and he finished the concert in fine form, singing all his old favorites to the delight of the packed tent! He did go to the Escanabe emergency room and had a CT scan. That's all we knew when we left Friday night.....
Lynn

AOL

#8 Sep 20, 2006
Saw Gordon last night at the Grand Theater in Wausau. His picking hand still isn't working like it should. He said that he had had an MRI done, and had been in and out of hospitals the last two days. He did his best, always kept his sense of humor, and told the audience he would keep with the music as long as his body would let him.
Amy

Milwaukee, WI

#9 Sep 21, 2006
I was at his show in Whitewater, WI on Wednesday night and I talked to Gordon after the performance. He told me he was feeling pretty good but I think he was a bit tired after the happenings of the past week. Gordon is a lovely man, very sweet and funny in his way.
rossport

Wausau, WI

#10 Sep 21, 2006
Gordon was in Wausau, WI on Tues. 9/19 and he told us (the audience) about the transient stroke that caused numbness in his right hand so that he could not play well. He had regained feeling in only his thumb, forefinger and pinky, so he had to adjust his pick with his teeth, which he apologized for.Once he had to start a song over because he didn't like the way he started it. He told us that he had an MRI enroute and that he told the Doc not to give him any advice because he was going to perform until he dropped! He sang excellent and he had a lot of anecdotes and memories to share with the audience.He was to go onto several other cities in WI and the surrounding area before returning to his beloved Canada. Let's all pray that he keeps good health and regains his strength to play!
Pamela Noga wrote:
The Gordon Lightfoot concert scheduled for Saturday night,September 15, in Harris, MI was canceled after he could not play his guitar half-way through his performance the night before. Rumor has it that he may have suffered a mild stroke and was airlifted to Toronto. I am looking for confirmation and an update on his condition.
Jesse-Joe

Bathurst, Canada

#11 Sep 23, 2006
This is great, another place to read about, "The Magical Poet Genius." Thank's to John Fowles, a good Lightfoot admirer, who posted this forum on Corfid.

Everything has been said about this wonderful artist. So what more can I tell you...

"Gordon Lightfoot, may you continue to share with us, your most wonderful gift."...~Jesse~
Jesse-Joe

Moncton, Canada

#12 Sep 24, 2006
Jesse-Joe wrote:
This is great, another place to read about, "The Magical Poet Genius." Thank's to John Fowles, a good Lightfoot admirer, who posted about this forum on Corfid.
Everything has been said about this wonderful artist. So what more can I tell you...
"Gordon Lightfoot, may you continue to share with us, your most wonderful gift."...~Jesse~
Test
Peter

United States

#13 Sep 27, 2006
We saw Gordon on Saturday, Sept 23 in Aurora IL.
Gordon was not picking very much I noticed, then about half way through the show he told the audience that he had a transient stroke. I think must of us were just stunned, whispering to each other "what did he say??" etc. He sounded great though and in very good spirits. more talkative than usual. More inacting with the audience than I had ever seen him do. All in all, a great show and delighted to have been there.
R Alaska Naperville IL

Harrison, NJ

#14 Sep 29, 2006
We drove out to see Gordon in Milwaukee for his performance on Sunday the 24th. It was similar to what Peter from Rochelle said in this comment. We were in the front row, and he jerked out his hand and shook it a couple of times. He also mentioned the transient stroke to us. It seemed like he was playing sometimes, but not others, and apologized for not being able to play anything from 'Harmony,' which people were requesting. Vocals were excellent, and toward the end he seemed to be playing Canadian Railroad Trilogy pretty well. The most exciting points were when he stepped to the edge of the stage, directly in front of us. I could see him playing the chords at that point. At the end he came out and shook hands with about a dozen of us in the first row. He was very alert and gregarious, and his grip was okay. I feel guilty - I was so shocked that I might have unwittingly shook his hand too hard. Overall great sense of humor and audience interactivity. An unforgettable experience!
rossport

Schofield, WI

#15 Sep 30, 2006
At the end of the concert in Wausau he got a standing ovation which prompted one more song. Gordon and his band played this with enthusiasm! He walked to the edge of the stage and we in the front row just applauded and yelled even louder. No one attempted to reach up and shake his hand as we were pretty much in awe and didn't quite know if it was a "kosher" thing to do. There is no chance of seeing him afterward as the bus is parked in a small space, right up by the stage door and someone had wedged a car in next to it. Wish we could have gotten an autograph, picture or a handshake but some venues allow this others don't. Also, he doesn't sell his CD's or anything in the lobby, which is disappointing. Come to think of it, I have never seen a GL t-shirt of anykind either...good thing maybe, I would wear mine out in a week! I am sure that after hearing about the stroke, a lot of people went home wondering what they would do without Gord in their world. So, "Croon on, Oh Gord of Golden Word and Chord" JR
Dave from Whitewater

Stoughton, WI

#16 Oct 2, 2006
I saw Gord the 20th in Whitewater and he seemed like he was handling it in good spirits what with it being his job to use his hand, not to mention the main thing of his life to play guitar! Glad to hear he's able to play CRT again as he said it was out of his range the night I saw him. He really rallied the band and the rose to the challenge! Good job and have a quick recovery, Gord!
R Alaska Naperville IL wrote:
We drove out to see Gordon in Milwaukee for his performance on Sunday the 24th. It was similar to what Peter from Rochelle said in this comment. We were in the front row, and he jerked out his hand and shook it a couple of times. He also mentioned the transient stroke to us. It seemed like he was playing sometimes, but not others, and apologized for not being able to play anything from 'Harmony,' which people were requesting. Vocals were excellent, and toward the end he seemed to be playing Canadian Railroad Trilogy pretty well. The most exciting points were when he stepped to the edge of the stage, directly in front of us. I could see him playing the chords at that point. At the end he came out and shook hands with about a dozen of us in the first row. He was very alert and gregarious, and his grip was okay. I feel guilty - I was so shocked that I might have unwittingly shook his hand too hard. Overall great sense of humor and audience interactivity. An unforgettable experience!
Dave from Whitewater

Stoughton, WI

#17 Oct 2, 2006
I saw Gord the 20th in Whitewater with my nephew, who is a big fan. After a few songs with the 12-string he reached for the 6 and made an almost casual comment about having had a "minor stroke". He then pointed out which fingers were working and which weren't and talked some about the first shows after and how one show was cancelled because the venue had problems, "So I got out of playing, but still got paid!" Cool! He commented how they've "played every town in America...except Whitewater" and how he enjoyed being here for the first time. It was great having him two blocks from my home! He told of flying from San Fran to Toronto and he pointed straight up and said he knew they flew right over Whitewater! He had a lot of fun stories and it seems like we really got to know him! Get well soon,Gord!
Colleen Pearce

Repentigny, Canada

#18 Nov 10, 2006
I Just LOVE Gordon Lightfoot !!!!
Lisa

Halifax, Canada

#19 Nov 13, 2006
Colleen Pearce wrote:
I Just LOVE Gordon Lightfoot !!!!
I saw Gord in 1990 in Charlottetown, PEI...I was sitting about 5 feet away from him..I was in the front row, and he sat on the stage in front of me to sing "A Song for a Winter's Night"...It was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen or heard. He had his Martin Guitar, and I could see every nic or scratch on it, and I remember thinking..."NOW THAT GUITAR HAS HISTORY"...What a tale that guitar could tell....he was fabulous then and his is still fabulous..
BIGGEST FAN
Jesse-Joe

Moncton, Canada

#20 Nov 27, 2006
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw Gord in 1990 in Charlottetown, PEI...I was sitting about 5 feet away from him..I was in the front row, and he sat on the stage in front of me to sing "A Song for a Winter's Night"...It was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen or heard. He had his Martin Guitar, and I could see every nic or scratch on it, and I remember thinking..."NOW THAT GUITAR HAS HISTORY"...What a tale that guitar could tell....he was fabulous then and his is still fabulous..
BIGGEST FAN
Hi Lisa, this is atest to see if you got this message, your from, Halifax? Im from Moncton, Cheers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gordon Lightfoot Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
...FARMER is..GOD,..not (May '13) Jun '14 SHYKORA PAUL arts 4
Review of Gordon Lightfoot Buffalo concert 9/21 (Sep '08) May '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 95
Gordon Lightfoot history question (Mar '10) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 3
What was that Gordon Lightfoot song . . . . (Jun '13) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 3
Lightfoot Croce & Taylor Acoustic & Voice Fame (Dec '13) Mar '14 Antagonist of Fuzz 2
Miley Cyrus, Imagine Dragons among March's musi... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Big mike 2
BARRY HARVEY / Gordon Lightfoot's manager dies. (Dec '07) Dec '13 Don Harder Oceans... 33
•••
•••

Gordon Lightfoot People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••