George Takei's Answer to Tennessee's...

George Takei's Answer to Tennessee's Don't Say Gay Bill

There are 18 comments on the www.womanist-musings.com story from May 20, 2011, titled George Takei's Answer to Tennessee's Don't Say Gay Bill. In it, www.womanist-musings.com reports that:

A bill now pending in Tennessee would prohibit teachers in that state from discussing homosexuality in the classroom. The so-called “don’t say gay” law is premised on the misguided belief that, by not talking about gay people, they can simply make us disappear. The awesome George Takei has something to say about it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.womanist-musings.com.

Takeimarriedwith kids

Chino Hills, CA

#1 May 20, 2011
Awesome response!

Since: Nov 08

Oakland, CA

#2 May 20, 2011
This bill is just one more example of how the ignorant think. Do they therefore consider the speaking impaired to have no ability to comprehend ideas, thoughts, realities, because they don't speak with spoken words?

George proposes that the teachers and student use his last name, Takei, in place of the forbidden word "Gay". Much as Rick Santorum's last name now means..."The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex", as promoted by Dan Savage.

I propose that from now on, "Republican" would define any ignorant, intently stupid and socially regressive action. Used as a noun. Example...The Taliban are extremely Republican in thought and deed", or "Jane, you Republican slut".

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 May 20, 2011
StevyD wrote:
I propose that from now on, "Republican" would define any ignorant, intently stupid and socially regressive action. Used as a noun. Example...The Taliban are extremely Republican in thought and deed", or "Jane, you Republican slut".
I thought it already was understood to have that meaning. You mean to tell me there is another definition?

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#4 May 20, 2011
StevyD wrote:
This bill is just one more example of how the ignorant think. Do they therefore consider the speaking impaired to have no ability to comprehend ideas, thoughts, realities, because they don't speak with spoken words?
George proposes that the teachers and student use his last name, Takei, in place of the forbidden word "Gay". Much as Rick Santorum's last name now means..."The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex", as promoted by Dan Savage.
That's an adjective.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#5 May 20, 2011
StevyD wrote:
And this is why some don't like gays. Then again, you don't care as long as yoiu can make stupid, snarky comments.

Congratulations. Come up with an equally stupid rsponse to substantiate my notion.
Daniel P

Tempe, AZ

#6 May 20, 2011
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> And this is why some don't like gays. Then again, you don't care as long as yoiu can make stupid, snarky comments.
Congratulations. Come up with an equally stupid rsponse to substantiate my notion.
what does "snarky" mean ?

Since: Nov 08

Oakland, CA

#7 May 20, 2011
Daniel P
Snarky means when all the sugar in the world won't sweeten the tea "BS Detector" has brewed and everyone knows it. Or am I being snarky again?

EdmondWA
Of course you're right, my last English gramer class was too many decades ago.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Silver Spring, MD

#8 May 20, 2011
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> And this is why some don't like gays. Then again, you don't care as long as yoiu can make stupid, snarky comments.
STFU, you sht fer brainz burnout.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#9 May 21, 2011
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
For all your tantrums, have your snits ever worked? How many times have you written STFU to me and not ONCE has it ever worked?

As in your real life, you are batting zero. Congratulations. You have reached your full potential. PDQ. You don't even know why I taunt you, and you are clearly powerless to do anything but make a fool of yourself. Couldn't happen to a more deserving queer. Yeah, I know that's perjorative. But in your case, it's accurate and it is obviously intened to be insulting, however accurate.

You and people like you are why some people don't like gays. And yet you try to make it their fault. You're too damned dumb to see the obvious. So for all I care, you can keep people not liking gays. And you're too stupid and emotionally invalid to see the obvious.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#10 May 21, 2011
Daniel P wrote:
<quoted text>
what does "snarky" mean ?
It's a British slang term recently becoming more popular in the U.S.(I've recently found myself using it only recently.) It means intentionally irritating with the intent of seeming clever.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#11 May 21, 2011
StevyD wrote:
Daniel P
Snarky means when all the sugar in the world won't sweeten the tea "BS Detector" has brewed and everyone knows it. Or am I being snarky again?
Just stupid... which is the best to which you can aspire with any hope or chance of success.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#12 May 21, 2011
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> It's a British slang term recently becoming more popular in the U.S.(I've recently found myself using it only recently.) It means intentionally irritating with the intent of seeming clever.
Do't know where you have been, but "recently"? I've known people since my teens that used that word. And I'm 67.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#13 May 22, 2011
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do't know where you have been, but "recently"? I've known people since my teens that used that word. And I'm 67.
That's nice. Not sure if you had wanted me to feel chastized, but I'm fine with your being 67 and having used that word. Were you looking for a different reaction?

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#14 May 22, 2011
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> That's nice. Not sure if you had wanted me to feel chastized, but I'm fine with your being 67 and having used that word. Were you looking for a different reaction?
Just noting that you said something about it being a British slang word that had only recently come into use in this country, and I have heard it used for over 4 decades. That's hardly recent.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#15 May 22, 2011
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Just noting that you said something about it being a British slang word that had only recently come into use in this country, and I have heard it used for over 4 decades. That's hardly recent.
I meant that *I* had only recently started hearing it. Sorry.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#16 Jun 7, 2011
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> I meant that *I* had only recently started hearing it. Sorry.
I suppose that is just part and parcel of communicating via the net. Thnings are not always read the way one intends it to be understood.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I was in England for two weeks. My spouse has a little cottage near Brighton that we visit every year or year-and-a-half. I got back yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the news, and the first thing I saw was Anthony Weiner's news conference. I wanted to get right back on the plane, and go back to England.
BS Detector

Venice, CA

#17 Jun 7, 2011
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that is just part and parcel of communicating via the net. Thnings are not always read the way one intends it to be understood.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I was in England for two weeks. My spouse has a little cottage near Brighton that we visit every year or year-and-a-half. I got back yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the news, and the first thing I saw was Anthony Weiner's news conference. I wanted to get right back on the plane, and go back to England.
No problem. And you make a good point re things not being read as they were intended. I am guilty of that myself at times.
Tom Reilly

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Jul 25, 2011
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the BIGGEST A-hole on Topix, and everybody knows it.

You have no life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

George Takei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Star Trek Discovery needs to push boundaries wi... Jul '16 Shirvell s Shrivel 13
News John Cho had concerns about 'Star Trek''s Sulu ... Jul '16 WeTheSheeple 2
News J.J. Abrams 'really proud' of gay Sulu in 'Star... Jul '16 Hoagie 6
News A gay Sulu enters 'Star Trek,' but Takei disapp... Jul '16 Straight Man 8
News Star Trek actor George Takei says it's 'unfortu... Jul '16 Wise Man 18
News George Takei compares Kim Davis to George Wallace (Sep '15) Sep '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 19
News 'That Is Not Racist': Hollywood Actor Who Calle... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Edthirty 3
More from around the web