George Jones on the Taylor Swifts: Do...

George Jones on the Taylor Swifts: Don't call it country music

There are 9 comments on the KansasCity.com story from Nov 2, 2009, titled George Jones on the Taylor Swifts: Don't call it country music. In it, KansasCity.com reports that:

NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Country Music Hall of Famer George Jones isn't a big fan of where the genre has moved in recent years.When asked about what he thought about music by today's top country stars, the 78-year-old said while they are good, "they've stolen our identity."Jones made the comment during a recent interview when asked about music by ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KansasCity.com.

theegreatdane

Brentwood, TN

#1 Nov 2, 2009
Amen George, I am tired of the pop bubblegum music too. We need country music to go back to the roots. Where are the true singers and writers that made country what it was.
JPL

Nashville, TN

#2 Nov 3, 2009
yeah Gorge Jones the drunk wife beating home wrecker...mad because no one wants to hear his sorry old worn out crap.You know it is funny, 2 people in this last week have caused car wrecks with injuries, one a small child was killed. George Jones gets caught time after time driving plastered and you people think it is funny, he has a crash that almost killed him and you call him a hero??? what is the difference between him and the rest? you can have him.
GrindersSwitch

Marietta, GA

#3 Nov 3, 2009
Hey JPL, like your bubblegum, pop-culture icons lead such better lives than Jones does? Gimme a break. At least the Possum owns up to his mistakes and seeks treatment.

I can't stand hearing these 20-something singers from California who practice their fake Southern accent and talk about their John Deere, when they have never stepped foot on a farm in their lives.

Country music ceased to exist around 1995. Even late-comers like Dwight Yoakum and Clint Black could not even get a record deal in today's environment,(they would be seen as being TOO country).

Thank goodness for WSM and stations like it who still understand what Country music and Bluegrass really was.
Ken

San Diego, CA

#5 Nov 3, 2009
You tell em George! Strange enough, I'm not even a country music fan (my genre is blues based rock and roll). I am most definitely a huge fan of George Jones, however. His music transcends all genres, and I believe he may be the best song stylist of any genre that ever lived. There would be probably be more country music fans if there was more authentic country music being played instead of this warmed-over pop crap. To my ear, this music is nothing more than pop music cleverly laced with the occasional pedal steel thrown in there so they can package it as "country". Tammy Wynette (R.I.P.) is probably up there in heaven laughing her head off at these pop tarts! Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Hank Snow, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Tammy Wynette, and George Jones are country artists in the truest form. These folks left a big legacy for the next generation. Who's gonna fill their shoes? Certainly not these wannabes.
steve

Centerville, TX

#6 Nov 4, 2009
theegreatdane wrote:
Amen George, I am tired of the pop bubblegum music too. We need country music to go back to the roots. Where are the true singers and writers that made country what it was.
God Bless George, what is now making the top country is Pop, just more money to be made by the Nashville establishment by calling it Country.
Ken

San Diego, CA

#8 Nov 4, 2009
Well said! George Jones was asked what he thought and he gave them an honest answer. That's because George Jones is authentic, through and through. He didn't consult with a publicist in order feed the press politically correct answers. He simply spoke his mind.

I'm also glad to know that there are other blues/rock people out there besides me who love George Jones. I have no idea why. I just do.

PNUT BUTTER LOVER wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you, my genre is blues and I am not a country music fan by any means. But I agree 100% with everything you've said. The shoes of the true country artists that have left their legacies for the next generation can never be filled and especially by the "warmed over crap" they're labeling as country now. What so many of these fools that are bashing George seem to overlook is the fact that he was ASKED for his opinion on this....he didn't just volunteer his opinion. If they don't like his opinion then they get over it. He's entitled to his opinion just as much as they are whether they like it or not.
ccrider

Owensboro, KY

#9 Nov 4, 2009
country music isn't country anymore. I don't even listen to it. It's some kind of pop junk. THere are few if any that are unique like some stars of the past. Where are the Ernest Tubbs, the Waylon Jennings, the Marty Robbins, the Buck Owens of today?

They would have to PAY ME to go see most of the so called stars of today, and I'd probably feel tortured the whole time.

It's so much about making money and NOT making good music.
Ken

San Diego, CA

#10 Nov 4, 2009
I couldn't agree more. By the way, Dwight Yoakum is actually a friend of my family (he gave my daughter a very thoughtful wedding gift) and though I don't know him personally, I know he's a genuine human being and a genuine country singer.
GrindersSwitch wrote:
Hey JPL, like your bubblegum, pop-culture icons lead such better lives than Jones does? Gimme a break. At least the Possum owns up to his mistakes and seeks treatment.
I can't stand hearing these 20-something singers from California who practice their fake Southern accent and talk about their John Deere, when they have never stepped foot on a farm in their lives.
Country music ceased to exist around 1995. Even late-comers like Dwight Yoakum and Clint Black could not even get a record deal in today's environment,(they would be seen as being TOO country).
Thank goodness for WSM and stations like it who still understand what Country music and Bluegrass really was.
Ken

San Diego, CA

#11 Nov 4, 2009
Check this out... George Jones/Keith Richards duet:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

George Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doug Supernaw (Apr '08) Nov '15 Louisiana Fan 104
......FARMER..is..GOD,..not.... (May '13) Jun '14 paul shykora arts 3
News Now who's the greatest living country singer? (May '13) Jun '14 jaytee 12
George Jones (Apr '14) Apr '14 Joe Sanchez 1
News Penn's Peak anniversary (Nov '13) Nov '13 Spirit of James T... 6
News Where there's a will, there may be a pet trust (Jan '09) Sep '13 Jong Darty 3
News Tom Petty Blasts Modern Country Music (Aug '13) Aug '13 The truth 1
More from around the web