My Review Of The Beatles Revolver

My Review Of The Beatles Revolver

There are 40 comments on the Buzzle.com story from Jan 28, 2009, titled My Review Of The Beatles Revolver. In it, Buzzle.com reports that:

A review of The Beatles 1966 masterpiece Revolver. While 1967's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band often gets credit as being The Beatles first real "rock album as art" statement, I think that overlooks the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Buzzle.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#27 Jan 29, 2009
awc wrote:
<quoted text>
Great point, but I beleive David Gilmour is more masterful than Clapton.
And I beleive John was a better piano than Paul.
But I agree about George and Ringo's crafts.
Just my opinion.
Stop wishin and let's go fishin.Down by the ol crawdad hole.Lol
Greg

Greece

#28 Jan 29, 2009
awc wrote:
Beatles for sale has a touch of Help on it (I'm a loser).........
I meant to say Help has a touch of Beatles for sale on it (You've got to hide your love away).
I got you brother.
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#29 Jan 29, 2009
Active Player wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Emerick, that solo was played by all three guitarists, and if you listen closely, you will hear how the amplifiers were carefully set to give each guitar its own distinct voice. Harrison's gift was to play solos that were within his limitations while fitting the moment perfectly. He had a great melodic sensibility, evident from the very beginning with his solo on Till There Was You. I understand that because that's also how I play.
You have to play guitar yourself to really understand it. Every guitarist has sets of chops that come easily and naturally and others that come only after hours of hard work. The lead player for our band plays circles around me, yet when he listens to some of my demos, he says, "I just don't understand that." He's always played straight-ahead rock with a smattering of country (loves Chet Atkins), and some styles of jazz leave him puzzled.
McCartney was still playing at an intermediate level when he met Harrison--still playing guitars strung for right-handed players so that the chords and scales were upside down. But he progressed from there at an astounding pace. Harrison was playing at a more advanced level, but his progress from there, while steady, was much more measured. Emerick was wrong, though, to call him ham-fisted. The young engineer underestimated him because of the impressive work coming from Lennon and McCartney and because of Harrison's quiet, unassertive nature.
The Beatles greatest strength, though, was their ability to collaborate to develop and perfect each tune. In looking at each member's strengths and weaknesses and focusing on the natural competition that fueled their creativity, it's easy to lose sight of that. In the end, they worked as a single unit and created new forms that set the bar for the many bands that have followed in thier wake.
Very well said And I do play guitar so I understand exactly what you mean.Joe Walsh is my guitar hero.
Wrench-Craft

Salzburg, Austria

#30 Jan 29, 2009
awc wrote:
<quoted text>
Great point, but I beleive David Gilmour is more masterful than Clapton.
And I beleive John was a better piano than Paul.
But I agree about George and Ringo's crafts.
Just my opinion.
John may have been a better pianist, but Gilmour is nowhere near the status of Clapton.
Have you ever compared them, guess not.
Wrench-Craft

Salzburg, Austria

#31 Jan 29, 2009
Bubba the Saint wrote:
<quoted text>Stop wishin and let's go fishin.Down by the ol crawdad hole.Lol
I agree, to make a statement as that is very uneducated.
Clapton is God, Gilmour just an angel.

awc

“Pepperland”

Since: Dec 06

Pepperland

#32 Jan 29, 2009
Wrench-Craft wrote:
<quoted text>
John may have been a better pianist, but Gilmour is nowhere near the status of Clapton.
Have you ever compared them, guess not.
I should have said, they both are great guitarists, because it's true, both are giants of guitar.
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#33 Jan 29, 2009
Wrench-Craft wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, to make a statement as that is very uneducated.
Clapton is God, Gilmour just an angel.
No man you don't understand I was refering to his avatar it has nothing to do with music numbskull.Clapton was great but not God didn't you see the dog pissing on the wall where that was written.Clapton thought it was funny.Clapton is in the top five best guitar players in the world.I love his music and guitar playing.
Wrench-Craft

Salzburg, Austria

#34 Jan 29, 2009
awc wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have said, they both are great guitarists, because it's true, both are giants of guitar.
Better answer.
I apologize for the uneducated remark.
I was mad because Greg insulted me, but everything is fine, sorry.

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

#35 Jan 29, 2009
Wrench-Craft wrote:
<quoted text>Better answer.
Greg is a very cool guy, he is an encyclopedia with music knowledge.
We're cool.
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#36 Jan 29, 2009
Wrench-Craft wrote:
<quoted text>Better answer.
It is agreed we all like Clapton and Gilmour so yea we are all ok,Greg is very smart and a cool musician.
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#37 Jan 29, 2009
I see the judger is back to being his usual idiotic self again.I keep telling him I want a peach instead of lemons and I want Walnuts instead of those stale peanuts but the fisheyed fool just doesn't listen.And what's up with those light bulbs you know you don't light up my life or anyone else's life.
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#39 Jan 29, 2009
Everybodys went to hide except for me and my monkey
nitpicker

Knoxville, TN

#40 Jan 29, 2009
Bubba the Saint wrote:
Everybodys went to hide except for me and my monkey
Best keep him hidden. There're Bobbies about.

Toothless In Seattle

“DELETE THIS PROFILE”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#41 Jan 30, 2009
Active Player wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Emerick, that solo was played by all three guitarists, and if you listen closely, you will hear how the amplifiers were carefully set to give each guitar its own distinct voice. Harrison's gift was to play solos that were within his limitations while fitting the moment perfectly. He had a great melodic sensibility, evident from the very beginning with his solo on Till There Was You. I understand that because that's also how I play.
You have to play guitar yourself to really understand it. Every guitarist has sets of chops that come easily and naturally and others that come only after hours of hard work. The lead player for our band plays circles around me, yet when he listens to some of my demos, he says, "I just don't understand that." He's always played straight-ahead rock with a smattering of country (loves Chet Atkins), and some styles of jazz leave him puzzled.
McCartney was still playing at an intermediate level when he met Harrison--still playing guitars strung for right-handed players so that the chords and scales were upside down. But he progressed from there at an astounding pace. Harrison was playing at a more advanced level, but his progress from there, while steady, was much more measured. Emerick was wrong, though, to call him ham-fisted. The young engineer underestimated him because of the impressive work coming from Lennon and McCartney and because of Harrison's quiet, unassertive nature.
The Beatles greatest strength, though, was their ability to collaborate to develop and perfect each tune. In looking at each member's strengths and weaknesses and focusing on the natural competition that fueled their creativity, it's easy to lose sight of that. In the end, they worked as a single unit and created new forms that set the bar for the many bands that have followed in thier wake.

First of all, thank you for your posts. I can't begin to tell you how true your comments are about 0ne's own abilities on the guitar. Being in my fifties, and growing up playing guitar and listening to the Beatles, and their contemporaries,(like who didn't) I recognized a few "plinks" and "plunks" on some songs throughout many of the Beatles albums. Your wonderfully crafted post tells of not how blazing high velocity made for memorable melodies, but of something less tangible, in terms of understanding the chemistry of four great and gifted musicians. Why does the Beatles music live on, despite a few ham fisted riffs, and lives on in the souls of worshipers and non fans alike? Being in the right place in the right time perhaps? Musical destiny,or just plain lucky? No. Talent for sure. But beyond musical talent, they were blessed with extraordinary song writing abilities that far out weighed the abilities of even the most accomplished and gifted of any guitarists. Thanks for your great posts.

Toothless In Seattle

“DELETE THIS PROFILE”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#42 Jan 30, 2009
.....Also, please don't be discouraged by those trinkets of Tourette's you see in the right hand corner. They are contributed by Hannibal "Pee-Wee" Lefturn, our resident mascot. We allow him to do this in order to keep him busy. If you are a father, you'll know what I mean. Many don't post anymore because of him, but he really is harmless, despite his snarling play mask. Topix allows this in the spirit of being an American, and we all know what that means. Cheers, and great posts.
Bubba the Saint

Ruckersville, VA

#43 Jan 30, 2009
Toothless In Seattle wrote:
.....Also, please don't be discouraged by those trinkets of Tourette's you see in the right hand corner. They are contributed by Hannibal "Pee-Wee" Lefturn, our resident mascot. We allow him to do this in order to keep him busy. If you are a father, you'll know what I mean. Many don't post anymore because of him, but he really is harmless, despite his snarling play mask. Topix allows this in the spirit of being an American, and we all know what that means. Cheers, and great posts.
Toothless you are welcome to drop in Bubba's Bar and grill.It's a good place to visit and chat.
Bubba the Saint

Ruckersville, VA

#44 Jan 30, 2009
nitpicker wrote:
<quoted text>
Best keep him hidden. There're Bobbies about.
yEA THOSE BObbies don't monkey around they are serious about their jobs.
Greg

Greece

#45 Jan 30, 2009
Bubba the Saint wrote:
<quoted text>Toothless you are welcome to drop in Bubba's Bar and grill.It's a good place to visit and chat.
What's the menu for today my friend? I'm hungry like a wolf, remember?
Bubba the Saint

Seattle, WA

#46 Jan 30, 2009
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>What's the menu for today my friend? I'm hungry like a wolf, remember?
Hello Greg Today we have large Prawns with a nice coconut sauce to go with it.We can fix you some Greek food also.Anything you want we will have our cooks fix for you.Bring your stratocaster and come to Bubba's for a visit and we will have a jam session.Our food will have you Howling like Howling wolf when your done because it will taste Howling good Lol.

awc

“Pepperland”

Pepperland

#47 Jan 30, 2009
Toothless In Seattle wrote:
Lol.
Please don't make Bozo cry, nothing worse than a slobbering clown.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

George Harrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News George Harrison: Rock's Best-Kept Secret (Nov '16) Nov '16 TeeMee 1
News Paul McCartney in Portland: As good as it gets (Apr '16) Apr '16 Octo Is A Woodpecker 2
News Carl Perkins' other legacy (Sep '10) Dec '15 Outside the gate 6
News The Beatles week ahead: Remembering George Harr... (Nov '13) Feb '15 swadders 3
News All-star Sept. 28 George Harrison benefit moves... (Sep '14) Oct '14 Greg 2
News The Irritated One (Jun '14) Jun '14 Brendan Feehan 1
george harrison 1974 tour (Nov '07) Feb '14 KJS 46
More from around the web