Art Talk

Art Talk

There are 4 comments on the The Capital Times story from Feb 26, 2008, titled Art Talk. In it, The Capital Times reports that:

Art Talk: Should Madison send classical music to Cuba? Jacob Stockinger - Things are popping at the crossroads of culture and politics.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Capital Times.

Barbara DeMain

Belleville, WI

#1 Feb 26, 2008
Great thought, Dr. Jake! I am all for it. The
experience in Costa Rica was amazing.

Barbara
Chris from Cleveland

Cleveland, OH

#2 Feb 27, 2008
What a great opportunity! Anytime people have a chance to learn about each other, we should take advantage! Music speaks an international language -- it can help not only the city of Madison, but also our two countries. We've had sanctions against Cuba for over 50 years now ... are we any farther ahead?
Frank

Bangkok, Thailand

#3 Feb 27, 2008
Yes we can and Yes we should!

Didn't the MSO, that is Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, go to Cuba a few years back? And wasn't that considered a big success? Remember that great Leonard Bernstein concert (with assembled orchestras) after the wall was dismantled in Berlin?

I think this also fits in well with Obama's idea that we should be ready to talk with everyone--even our enemies. Let music lead the way.(But note: Hillary says its all celestial music and waving of wands!).
Frank

Bangkok, Thailand

#4 Feb 28, 2008
None other than the Decider-in-Chief has come out today and chided Sen. Obama for trying to reach out to Cuba. Obama in turn has said that the "American people aren't looking for more of a do-nothing Cuba policy" that hasn't worked for 50 years.

I say if W. opposes it, it's got to be good! Besides W. is going to be out of a job pretty soon and Grandpa McCain will be put to rest back in Arizona.

Let's start packing those instruments up for a big road trip to Cuba!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

George Gershwin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A century of Harry's Bar in Paris (Nov '11) Nov '11 Hmmmmm 1
LA Phil Presents Gershwin Across America at the... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Allied Live 1
News Pianists meld classical, jazz worlds (Jul '09) Jul '09 Citizen Cait 1
News Coast Lines: July 5, 2009 (Jul '09) Jul '09 Santa Cruzan 1
News Middletown Students Learn From, Perform With HS... (Apr '09) Apr '09 kimmy 4
News New Connection To Classical Music (Oct '08) Oct '08 Bibliophilist 2
News From Douglass High to singing for Gershwin (Mar '08) Mar '08 JANICE FORSYTHE 2
More from around the web