Court Documents Reveal New Details In Garth Brooks Lawsuit

There are 18 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Dec 17, 2009, titled Court Documents Reveal New Details In Garth Brooks Lawsuit. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

Were promises broken in the half million donation country singer Garth Brooks gave to his hometown hospital? In the petition filed in Rogers County court, Brooks asserts that the Integris Canadian Valley Regional Hospital in Yukon courted his donation with promises of placing his mother's name in neon lights and a ribbon-cutting ceremony ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

summer

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Dec 17, 2009
His mother's name in neon lights, that's not very tasteful.
ConSyderate

Yukon, OK

#2 Dec 17, 2009
OMG...If someone gave me 500,000 I would gladly put a name in neon & cut a ribbon. Personally (if I were Mr. Brooks) I would do something more tasteful than neon, but it would definately include lights - I don't think that's a lot to ask for.
If you only knew

United States

#3 Dec 17, 2009
I agree Summer.
It's a gift to a hospital, it was used to upgrade the facility so that better treatment opportunities exist. I would think that would be the purpose of a gift to a hospital BUT it does seem as though the hospital solicited the gift and most likely agreed to conditions in order to receive the gift.
Just seems silly to me... Help the hospital and go on. There is no room for conditions when you are giving a gift.
mamamack

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Dec 17, 2009
Garth was asked for the money and he gave it...with conditions. Now the hospital wants to back out of their end of the deal. Just because the man has money, he doesn't owe that hospital (or anyone else) anything and people should not try to take advantage of him. I hope Garth wins this lawsuit
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow, OK

#5 Dec 17, 2009
After reading the document and hearing both sides of the story. It really sounds like the hospital is in the wrong and trying to take advantage of Garth's generosity.
Evan

United States

#7 Dec 17, 2009
Sounds pretty open and shut to me. If they created mock-ups of a building with his mom's name on it, that tells me they intended to name something after his mom.

I don't believe Garth wants his money back, I think he just wants the building to be named after her.

Integris is ghetto anyway. They run Baptist Medical Center in OKC, which is one of the more disgusting hospitals I've ever stepped foot in. I wouldn't eat a meal there, let alone allow them to perform medical procedures.
Bob

Golf, IL

#8 Dec 17, 2009
How can it be anonymous when they solicited the gift? Sounds like something government would do with your tax dollars. Thanks for passing that bond but we need that money for this project instead.
hgprt

Broken Arrow, OK

#9 Dec 17, 2009
I wonder how much money was spent "courting" Brooks. I bet that money could have been put to better uses such as, gee I dunno patient care.
Fed_Up

Monett, MO

#10 Dec 17, 2009
Broken Arrow wrote:
After reading the document and hearing both sides of the story. It really sounds like the hospital is in the wrong and trying to take advantage of Garth's generosity.
I agree with you 100%.

“PTL & pass the ammo”

Since: Nov 09

Tulsa

#11 Dec 17, 2009
I hope Mr. Brooks wins this case.
Giggles

Broken Arrow, OK

#12 Dec 17, 2009
Seems to me that the hospital should just suck it up and put her name on the bldg. She is deceased after all and he gave them money to honor her name.
Karl Schneider

Douglas, GA

#13 Dec 17, 2009
summer wrote:
That's right...it is tacky, cheesy and gauche but he's entitled to it if it was part of the agreement.

People have paid good money for far more offensive public displays.
JustJ

Broken Arrow, OK

#14 Dec 17, 2009
I hope he remembers to file an amended tax return showing the return of the 500,000 he deducted from his taxes...
Danny Boatman

AOL

#15 Dec 18, 2009
No problem Garth. Build a small clinic down the street from the hospital. Take only patients who can pay. Leave the rest to the hospital.
We todd did

Broken Arrow, OK

#16 Dec 20, 2009
summer wrote:
The hospital denies that it was to be in neon. I bet it was more like something along the lines of raised lettering backlit with colorful lighting, therefore making it stand out. Either way, the hospital made the representation that a bldg would be constructed and her name would be attached somehow and then did a whole bait and switch routine. Is there a former politician running Integris?
Kirk

Schulter, OK

#17 Dec 20, 2009
I doubt this has anything to do with money on Mr. Brook's part. He was promised a building honoring his' mother and he did not get one. It seems a small thing to put the name on a building that you were building anyway.
Tim-Choctaw

AOL

#18 Dec 21, 2009
Good night and "MERRY cHRISTMAS TO ALL "
LocalMan

Tulsa, OK

#19 Jan 8, 2010
I can honestly say, Garth seems honest and upright in all he does. The court documents are fairly easy to understand with common sense. I hope it goes to trial and the Yukon City Councilor looks childish and should put his apologize in writing for being rude. City of Owasso would be happy to put Current Home of Garth Brooks on a water tower.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garth Brooks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Garth Brooks again surpasses Elvis as U.S. solo... Jan '15 Not Believing It 1
News This Week in Billboard Chart History: In 2009, ... Jan '15 Kelly DJ 1
News Garth Brooks cites Ferguson for cancellation Nov '14 fire 50 min respo... 1
News Garth Brooks cites Ferguson for cancellation Nov '14 awfully amused 1
News Garth Brooks falls in his face during Kentucky ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 me 5
News Kelly Clarkson takes daughter River Rose to Gar... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Francine Fishpaw 1
News 2Pac 'All Eyez On Me' a diamond (Aug '14) Aug '14 BadMan84 2
More from around the web